Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

W116 Owners Gallery

205K views 234 replies 119 participants last post by  Hamishkmherd 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

Need a favor from you all if you wouldn't mind!Could everyone post some photos of your W116's again?

#27 ·
Nutz, it didnt leave AMG like that in 1978; BUT when I'm ginished it will be a complete and exact replica using genuine original AMG parts - so, in my view its a genuine AMG (ie does it matter who and when AMG parts were fitted, as long as they are genuine?).
Chris

#29 ·
My W116 girls

Okay, I'm new here and this is my first post so I hope I do this right. I bought my first Mercedes - a 1975 280S about six months ago. She has classic plates and needs restoring. I drive her very little. My daily driver, which I've only owned for a month, is a '79 450SEL. I love this car. It's like driving a very fast pillow. Very little needs to be done to her mechanically. Paint is the #1 priority on this one! :)

Attachments

#30 ·
mundayc said:
Here are some of my ongoing restoration - AMG 450SEL 6.9
Are you on the M100 board?

#34 ·
Nutz 4 Benz said:
^^^^Damn that's clean ! Details,details :)
Well, I bought the car about 6 months ago from an older man that obviously was clueless when it came to the vehicles value. It only had 150k miles on it and I picked it up for $2,500. Had the motor/tranny mounts replaced, all the hoses replaced. New exhaust system from the headers back, and also replaced the pads and rotors on the brakes. It ended up costing me around 4k total to get it where I wanted it, but it runs like a kitten. Right now its in the shop getting a new sound system wired in and having all the windows tinted...Ill post up more pictures when I get it back...

#37 ·
Photo's of my family's fleet

Not sure which forum to put these photos in (123 vs 116) but since the SD is mine, 116 it is. All cars are turbo diesel, and we have owned all of them for 8+ years. The far left 123 is my father's with 352,000 miles. The gem is the red (signal red I believe??) 153,000 on the far right. Comments more than welcome!

Attachments

#38 · (Edited)
Hello every one!!

These pictures are from the German weekend at The International Autodromo de San Carlos (Venezuela). The 6.9 that Im driving is from me neighbor which was my copilot

Note: we finish 10, the CLK and the SL were unbeatable our max speed was at the end of the straightaway in turn one. According with our speedometer it was 210 km but hot lap read 193 km max speed.

Attachments

#40 ·
havn't i already sent my pics?? ;)

ok, this it her.

she's a 77-JAN-280SEL. looking for a W123-coupe i saw her and bought her the same day. not knowing then, what a treasure she is. not only beautyful in colour (simple 903 blue), engine (R6) and shape (long), but also completely equipped and with a celabraty as first owner: a VERY popular german polititian from the 70th, 80th, 90th and 00th. so i rebuild her as she was in first life.

wet and cold greetings from german autumn.

oops - my files are too large. might one of the boys transcript them from the other forum, please?

#41 ·
Y E S! !!!!

hiya ace789 -
is it allowed to run the car with that very unsecure (HA!!) bumpers in the states? and what's about the not-sealed-beamed lights??
after all she's a real beauty, esp. with that colour. rry to find tinny wheelcaps for her. that would make her PERFECT - imho.
greetings from where the star was born.

#43 · (Edited)
hiya nutz -

any doubts to find me here sooner or later?? ;) sure i follow you fellow W116ers everywhere! as long as your honorable mr. president remains in LINCOLNs...

grazie mille for copying my pics. i guess, i'm just too old for this electronic- and cyberstuff. i'm left from the mechanical era... otherwise I(!!) would have bought YOU TUBE!!! btw. lots of nice MERC videos. my favorite: a british W124-"test" to prove how solid an old MERC still is.

one more: since SEPT. i'm member of the official S-CLASS-CLUB (the former W126-club). on the homepage (ENGLISH version avble.) you find a lot about "our" ladies. esp. on the "member's"sites!!! yesterday i watched all the commercial videos (mol 1h) from that time. how lovely!! the music, the suits, the hairdo...

greetings to ANCHORAGE, where we might have mild californian climate 200 years ahead, if we go on living this way...

HANS

#44 · (Edited)
@nomada - ref. to TomiT's paint:

oh yes, indeed it is! the W116 was painted with so many devine, adorable colours. you'll find them all here:

www.s-klasse-club.de

stay with the GERMAN version (black-red-yellow flag-symbol)! don't go to the ENGLISH one. because the W116 doesn't exist there for unknown reasons. so choose the german flag, go to "Der W116" and then on the left to "Farbvariationen". that means variations of colours. i think the rest is self-explaining. point at the colour's name and a picture is shown.
or go to:

www.astralsilber.de

there you find pictures too. (>Farbcodes on the left). it's just (??) the W123. but the colours were the same.

or go to:

www.meinbenz.de

also pictures under Farbtabellen on the left side.

#48 · (Edited)
THX chaw ...

actually it's what i love on this very car.

the extremely simple version on one hand (no metallic colour, no alloys, no leather or volour, no coloured windows, no el. windows) and the luxury on the other hand (automatic, frontlight-wipers, el. sliding roof PLUS climate control PLUS extra heating, headrests and belts and reading-light in the back, stronger front-seats,...) - which all was only available on extra costs and very, very, very expensive that days!

the secret is, that she was an official gouvernmental car in her first life.

if the major of washington is also gouverneur of washington dc., you could compare it to the major of bremen, who is also gouverneur of bremen state, one of the 16 federal states of germany. the difference is just, that bremen is not our capital. at least it's the US-seagate to northern continental europe.

every february there is an "oldtime-cars"-exhibition and -fare in bremen (coincidently!!). i hope, i can show her next year there with the (official MB-)"s-class-club".

keep your fingers crossed, please!! :)

#51 · (Edited)
Car was keyed all the 360 degrees - purchased like that. I will be changing my licence plates just in case. 1976 450SE with 71,015 miles.
my benz is getting a repaint and found some rust on the car!!! got jinxed I guess. in the trunk area. apparently water was getting past the seal and the grommets in the floor were dirty and water sat there for too long. I am going to cut it out (both sides) and fiberglass it instead to avoid future problem repetition.

here's a video of the before. I will post new pics with what I am doing in the trunk to include the sound system.

wish me luck.

http://sharkle.com/video/107274/