LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Oct 2016
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
1976 450SE W116 value

I have the opportunity to get a beautiful 1976 450se and the seller is asking that I make an offer (either the seller honestly doesn't know the value, which is possible because I know them and they just ended up with the car without any intention use it or sell as vintage, or they have an idea and seeing if I come in high or so low they'll discredit my offer).

So what is the value of this car? It's all across the board with google and ebay searches (from $1200 on ebay, similar models, up to $10 with restored models) and it's hard to find this specific model so I'm hoping some of you experts can give me a ball park.

Basics. 127k miles - no idea if the engine or primary parts are original or not. No rust seen. Not in perfect/restored condition but it is in sound operating condition. Starts, runs and drives smooth and all electrical items work as the should, from what I can tell. The paint is faded and cracked in a several places. The seats don't have holes but they are well worn (driver seat sags on the entry side).

I understand it isn't the same, but I had a Volvo wagon of the same year with similar miles and this 450se has worn well for it's age and miles in comparison.

I'll be using this car, not buying it as an investment or to restore.
Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0019.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	1999073   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0020.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	1999081  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 04:55 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2012
Vehicle: 1968 250S, 1991 300se, 1998 SL500, 2x 1977 450SEL 6.9. Past MB's; 300SD, 300E, 300TE, 190E, ML420
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Garage
Without see the interior or engine I would ballpark it around $3000. Service history could raise that some, or complete lack of maintenance lower it some. If not done in last 40 years it will need fuel hoses, brake hoses, filters, etc.

Condition of rubber and wiring is important, and look very hard for rust, hood hinge pockets, trunk wheel wells, look under front carpets for moisture.

are you in Washington state? that is usually pretty good for old cars.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 07:58 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2010
Vehicle: 1966 MB 200; Porsche 914 (6); Porsche 914 (Chev 350); 36 ford
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
The trouble is, there are lots of price guides out there. (Hagerty for one) The problem is, a lot of people not knowing much about cars, or grading cars, tend to get the prices way out of line.

For example, hagerty shows that car as a 10k car for good condition. BUT! If you read the description of good, that means a very nice car with everything working as expected, and it good enough to bring trophies home. The Fair condition is more what you really find. Driver condition with very minor issues. Looks good, etc. That condition is about 7k on Hagerty.

Other people have mentioned it, but I think Hagerty tends to rate the cars slightly higher than actual market.

I think there are a couple more guides. (Hemmings I think has one, and NADA?)

Hope that helps.

-- brett
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 06:44 AM
w108,107 Parts Hoarder

Date registered: Jun 2010
Vehicle: 4Keep:450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500seAMG 2sell:500sl92 380se83 300se86 350sl4sp 75slc MorInSig
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1617 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrymire View Post
The trouble is, there are lots of price guides out there. (Hagerty for one) The problem is, a lot of people not knowing much about cars, or grading cars, tend to get the prices way out of line.

For example, hagerty shows that car as a 10k car for good condition. BUT! If you read the description of good, that means a very nice car with everything working as expected, and it good enough to bring trophies home. The Fair condition is more what you really find. Driver condition with very minor issues. Looks good, etc. That condition is about 7k on Hagerty.

Other people have mentioned it, but I think Hagerty tends to rate the cars slightly higher than actual market.

I think there are a couple more guides. (Hemmings I think has one, and NADA?)

Hope that helps.

-- brett
Totally true. Most of the junk we daily drive is simply hoping to be a number 4 condition. If we really put elbow grease into our cars some of them will be number 3. Number 2 is a car that will win at any car show and is not a driver. Number 1 is a level that is only achieved through the insanity of cars that have all original parts and not a single aftermarket item on the car, like you couldn't tell the difference between a new one on the show room floor and the number 1.

The majority of the cars we find for sale are 4s and 5s. Hagerty doesn't even price rate 5s.
bfrymire and Sprocket47 like this.

My signature:
Click for list of my 32 MB since 2010. If, you want 70's-80's Mercedes tuner wheels, let me know.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 07:58 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jan 2014
Vehicle: 1977 450 SEL 6.9
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumb View Post
Without see the interior or engine I would ballpark it around $3000. Service history could raise that some, or complete lack of maintenance lower it some. If not done in last 40 years it will need fuel hoses, brake hoses, filters, etc.

Condition of rubber and wiring is important, and look very hard for rust, hood hinge pockets, trunk wheel wells, look under front carpets for moisture.

are you in Washington state? that is usually pretty good for old cars.
Have to second rumb here. W116 values are soft and the fun per $ factor is huge IF you don't get a rusty one with a lot of needs. 5K tops and get a PPI by knowledgeable Benz guy. Unfortunately they are few and far between.
Sprocket47 likes this.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 12:29 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2010
Vehicle: 1972 280SEL daily driver. 904 Dark Blue with cognac interior. euro 4.5 engine
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
No maintenance records could hurt here. At 127K miles, the timing chain may/may not have been changed. If it has not been done and you don't do it, you could end up jumping a tooth and bending valves (at best). Should be done every 100k miles

I don't know what a shop charges for this, I do mine myself, but you need a reputable shop and you will need chain, tensioner, guides. Figure $300 + for parts and a few hours labor minimum.
Sprocket47 likes this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 06:55 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Oct 2002
Vehicle: 1967 250 SL, 1963 220Sb
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I would base the decision on how much maintenance the owner has been doing to the car over the years. You have said that the paint is crap. That's a minus. The seats are poor. That's a minus. Service records? Condition of the rubber door seals and window seals? It's far cheaper to buy a car that someone else has dumped money into than to buy a beater and try and fix it. Or course if you just want to drive it and not improve it, it might be a nice car. Thirsty car BTW.

Currently: 1967 250 SL, 1963 220Sb, 1965 300SE Lang, 1971 280SE parts car, 1972 Alfa GTV, 1965 Alfa Duetto, 1993 BMW R100R
Past: 1971 250 C, 1985 300 TD, 1967 250 S, 1968 280 S,1981 300 D, 1982 280CE, 3 Facel Vegas, Borgward Isabella Coupe, Alfa 2600 Sprint, Volvo P1900 (yes), numerous less interesting Volvos, ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in