BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2016
Vehicle: 1972 220 D (Red)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Red 576 & Red 542

Hi guys!

I am currently restoring my grandpas old W115 220 D, and one thing I'm still unsure of, is what colour to repaint it in. The car is red (see avatar) but it's not the original colour anymore, as it was repainted once already, in a colour which wasn't the original one.

In my car documents, it says that the original colour of the car was Red 576. However, when I showed my grand parents or my mother photos of Mercs with Red 576 (photos that I found online), they all said the car was much darker. So I showed them all a range of different reds, and the ones where they all shouted "This was the colour!" was always "Darkred 542".

Even other people who knew the car back then said it was never Red 576… so it's a weird story, because my grandparents bought the car new (still have the bill and everything), but I thought maybe the car was repainted while it was still new. I don't know why that would happen, but everything is possible.

I have removed everything from the car (whole interior, all body parts, removing the engine soon) and on some places I see in fact a red that is darker than Red 576. The mystery goes on…

That's why I'd like to collect photos of MBs that are either Red 576 or Red 542 now. Personally, from what I've seen on the car, I believe it's none of these, but I believe it's something in between. 576 is too bright and 542 is too dark. Plus, everyone told me it was an actual RED, whereas 576 seems to have a touch of violet or dark pink, and 542 sometimes seems to have a touch of brown or rust colour. I do see traces of 576 on the interior too however. Hinting that the car may have been repainted before it was delivered to my grandparents. But maybe not…

So… if anyone's got a car in one of these colours, I'd really appreciate it if you could post some pictures! If you happened to collect some photos of red Mercs over the years, and they happen to be in one of these colours, again, I'd be thankful if you could post them here! When you search for these two colours on the internet, you don't get many results. Seems like they're pretty rare colours (apparently they were both "Special Colours").

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 11:37 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2010
Vehicle: 1972 280SEL daily driver. 904 Dark Blue with cognac interior. euro 4.5 engine
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Odds are whoever re-painted the car did not do things like under the dash. I'd pull off a lower dash cover and look up to see what color the dash is....that is likely the original color.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Actually the whole interior is removed already, including dashboard etc. It looks very weird. There's red paint, black paint and white paint. I think there were some problems with water coming in or something like that and that area was "reworked". The car has a long history and my grandfather doesn't exactly remember what was done and what wasn't done anymore. He stopped driving the car decades ago.

This is the bar on which the horn is fixed. This is a part that I believe was not repainted. The current colour of the car is quite bright and is not an original MB colour. (it's brighter than 576 and goes a lot into a pinkish colour, but you can't see it here)

This was behind the dashboard on the passenger side. Don't ask me what the hell happened here.

You can see different layers of colours here. This picture is taken between the hood (removed on this picture, would be on the right) and the windshield (would be on the left here). It's on the outside. The layer at the top is the new colour. It looks very dark here, but it's a very light colour in fact. It looks nothing like this in real. This is the new colour I was speaking about, which is a non-MB colour. My grandparents had a shock back then when they went to pick up the car after it got repainted, and realised it wasn't the same, deep red like it used to be before. Then there's a layer of a very bright pink-orange-red–flesh, of which I have no idea what it is or what it represents or what it's doing there. The white layer after that is the undercoat I believe. And then there's another dark red, which I believe is the original colour of the car. Then there seems to be a grey layer underneath that, which was maybe the old (original) undercoat. I have no idea.

And so this is some of the interior. It looks very pinkish. You can also see that depending on the light, it looks very different. The ceiling is actually some sort of dark light violet with a touch of red. The floor was clearly pink haha.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 06:03 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2012
Vehicle: 1968 250S, 1991 300se, 1998 SL500, 2x 1977 450SEL 6.9. Past MB's; 300SD, 300E, 300TE, 190E, ML420
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Garage
get your data card from the classic center. it will say what the original color was.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
I still have the original papers, it says DB 576!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 06:41 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 1968 250S, 1991 300se, 1998 SL500, 2x 1977 450SEL 6.9. Past MB's; 300SD, 300E, 300TE, 190E, ML420
Garage
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Would love to see what 576 then looks on a car (if that's really my colour because even though it's on the data card, it doesn't fit with what family & friends remember the car like – and the car was bought new by my family at the time).

The problem is that there's so few pictures of Red 576 out there, I've only found one or two. So I would love if people could post pics of it! Doesn't need to be a W115, can be a Pagoda or a 600 as well…
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 05:29 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2009
Vehicle: 1955 300 SL
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Internet colors and memories can both be misleading. It's a 1972 220 D, paint it whatever color pleases you.
Fonzi likes this.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 05:37 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejboyd5 View Post
Internet colors and memories can both be misleading. It's a 1972 220 D, paint it whatever color pleases you.
Yes, but I'd love to paint it in the original colour! But I would still like to know what it looks like first…
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 05:40 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Garage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in