BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2016
Vehicle: 1972 220 D (Red)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Some questions about the W 115

Hello guys,

I'm restoring my grand fathers 220 D. I will upload pictures later in a different thread.

With the time, I've had questions pop up that nobody could answer yet. I thought I'll post them here – perhaps someone knows some of the answers? Would appreciate it if anyone could share some knowledge with me / with us. (questions & answers might be useful for other people too maybe…)

So here they are:

1. Is there a way to avoid cracks in the dashboard and similar parts? I am thinking of buying a new one, but would like to know what could be done, to prevent cracks from appearing

2. My W 115 has a tow hitch, but it was added later. I don’t know if it’s a 3rd party hitch, or if it’s an original MB hitch that was installed later. There are holes in the trunk of the car to hold it (between the number plate and the rear bumper). Was this the official solution? Are there any different solution for a tow hitch, for example one where I can remove the taw ball, and one where you don’t need to make holes in the exterior of the car?

3. Did the W 115 and W 114 models have different brakes? Which brakes can be mounted on my 220 D? Can I mount the brakes of a 280E for example? I will be driving a lot in mountains, so I do not want to save money on brakes and would prefer to get brakes that are perhaps a bit better than the car needs.

4. How many Stroke Eights in the colour 542 „Dark red“ have been produced? And how many have been produced in the colour 576 „Red“? Are there numbers of other MB models of that time that have been ordered in these colours?

5. What is painted in colour on the car, and what is painted in black? I know that the trunk is painted in black. Is there anything else? What is the colour code for that black colour, is it 040?

6. How are the carpets in the Stroke Eight attached? Mine weren’t there anymore except the ones on the sides, and these were glued apparently. There was also a smaller carpet in the tray in the center console, between both front seats. But it wasn’t glued, it was just „put“ there.

7. Why do some Stroke Eights have carpets on the sides of the middle console, and others don’t? Was this an option, or did this depend on some models?

8. What are some alternatives to asphalt for the isolation of the floor of the car? I removed all of the asphalt to see in what condition the floor of the car is. I found some water underneath it, and read a lot of times, that this is a typical thing – water that will gather up underneath the asphalt. That’s why I’d prefer to not use that material. But on the other hand, I’ll be driving on highways with the car, and I’d like to interior to be well isolated from all kinds of sound. I’ll be doing long roads with the car so I hope not to have ear fatigue in this car.

9. What are the original front fog lights? Do you have a part number? Were these different depending on the country where it was sold? (My car is a European car so I am looking for the original European fog lights) Why are some fog lights yellow, and some are white?

10. What is the original rear for lamp? Again, does anyone have a part number? Did different models exist here as well?

11. I saw some different tail light models. I am not talking about the first and second gen (riffled) tail lights. I have seen some first gen tail lights that were darker that the ones I saw most of the times. I first thought they were darker, because of the Diesel / exhaust, but I read somewhere that it was a different model. I myself own various first gen tail lights, and I do notice that some are darker than others. They look sort of smoked and the colours are not as „funky“ as on the other ones. I’ve also seen tail lights (first gen) that were completely red. Is this an aftermarket thing, or was that original?

12. Are Stroke Eights without Radio Antennas rare? Because mine doesn’t have one. I’d love to install a radio, but if it’s rare to not have an Antenna (like it is rare on W 124 500Es to *not* have leather seats, or *not* have a sliding roof), then I’ll build the antenna into the window frame or somewhere else.

13. How can I mount two speakers on the rear shelf of the car? I have two lids in circle-form, where apparently the speakers were mounted when ordered with that option. Do I just open these somehow, to put my speakers in them, and if yes, how do I open them? Do I have to cut them out?

14. Where do you mount the right rear mirror, and where was it mounted officially? I see some cars with the right rear mirror on the right wing, and some other cars have it on the right door. What’s correct and what’s wrong? Where was it mounted when you ordered the option to have a right rear view mirror?
I’d love to mount it on the door – but if I do this, do you actually see anything? Don’t you have to turn your head really far to the right, to see something? And if I mount it on the door, is there something already prepared on the inside of the door, for example to make holes or something? Or do you have to improvise with the position?

15. I heard there are two versions of the front-centre-armrest, a short version (for cars that have the gear shift in the middle console) and a longer version (for cars that have the gearshift on the steering wheel). Apparently the long version would pose problems for cars with the gearshift in the center console. Does anyone have both codes for these two variants of the armrest? And is it correct that the armrest is always attached on the passenger seat, thus adding another two versions of each armrest for LHD cars and RHD cars? (in total: long+LHD, long+RHD, short +LHD, short+RHD)

16. Was there an option to remove the model badge at the back of the car? Apparently the badges are fixed to the trunk with holes, that means if there was an option to remove the badge, there must be a trunk model without holes too. I am still thinking if I should remove my „220 D“, or leave it.

17. Was there an official „car cover“ accessory for the Stroke Eight?

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 11:37 AM
w108,107 Parts Hoarder

Date registered: Jun 2010
Vehicle: 4Keep:450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500seAMG 2sell:500sl92 380se83 300se86 350sl4sp 75slc MorInSig
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1717 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
For part numbers and options, the best thing to do is either buy the $75/year EPC subscription (that just stopped being free for US credit card holders less than a year ago) or buy one of the cheap ebay items that include a Virtual PC with EPC access.

Some of the questions that you ask about options like fog lights will take a while for someone to pull out of the EPC, and likely won't provide you with exactly what you are seeking, resulting in nobody really being happy. In my opinion, it would be better to get your own EPC access to do this research on your own. Euro car owners really should use the EPC to determine the parts their car needs anyway.

You've got a lot of questions in there. You might want to start individual threads on each of your questions. Some of them will interest members more than others. Personally, I'm overwhelmed and won't bother to say more than:

- I think there were only gen1 and gen2 tail I lights, but I understand euro w107 lights have orange throughout the sides whereas US versions have red on the side. So maybe different lens colors are for different markets.

- similarly, different countries had different regulations at different times. So I think I've seen yellow fogs or even yellow headlights for some countries like France. You could probably just google that one up to get some background on it.

- lots of people like Dynamat for
Sound deadening and floor insulation when performing a restoration.

- oris made dealer accessories for a lot of MB of the era. Maybe they made a better trailer hitch.

My signature:
Click for list of my 34 MB since 2010. If, you want 70's-80's Mercedes tuner wheels, let me know.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Yes, I was thinking of making a thread for each of these, but then thought that this would result in too many threads haha. But you're right that some people are interested in some of these things, and maybe not in others. So I'll think about it.

Thanks for your answers also! I'll look into Dynamat, this was probably one of the more important questions.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 04:46 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2012
Vehicle: 1968 250S, 1991 300se, 1998 SL500, 1977 450SEL 6.9. Past MB's; 300SD, 300E, 300TE, 190E, ML420
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Garage
I'll try to answer a few of these:

1. Is there a way to avoid cracks in the dashboard and similar parts? I am thinking of buying a new one, but would like to know what could be done, to prevent cracks from appearing.

The cracks happen over time from heat, sunlight, etc. Here in the US there are companies that can fix them at your house. there is a company in california that will make a new one on your frame for @$800 or so. I doubt that you can still get one from MB, if you could it would be more than $800. When you get EPC you can find the part number and then see if they are available. You need to contact the german Classis Center in Stutgart they can help you find many parts.

2. My W 115 has a tow hitch, but it was added later. I don’t know if it’s a 3rd party hitch, or if it’s an original MB hitch that was installed later. There are holes in the trunk of the car to hold it (between the number plate and the rear bumper). Was this the official solution? Are there any different solution for a tow hitch, for example one where I can remove the taw ball, and one where you don’t need to make holes in the exterior of the car?

Tow hitches were available options, especially in europe. You need to get you build card to see what options your car cam with. If you dont have one the Classic center can get one for you.

4. How many Stroke Eights in the colour 542 „Dark red“ have been produced? And how many have been produced in the colour 576 „Red“? Are there numbers of other MB models of that time that have been ordered in these colours?

This info is not available at all.

5. What is painted in colour on the car, and what is painted in black? I know that the trunk is painted in black. Is there anything else? What is the colour code for that black colour, is it 040?

your trunk is probably DB 164

This site has a lot of good info that applies to other cars than the pagodas:
Pagoda SL Group Technical Manual :: DataCard / PaintCodes

16. Was there an option to remove the model badge at the back of the car? Apparently the badges are fixed to the trunk with holes, that means if there was an option to remove the badge, there must be a trunk model without holes too. I am still thinking if I should remove my „220 D“, or leave it.

Yes, again get your build card to see if your car had it.

No.
Winegarden likes this.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 04:49 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2012
Vehicle: 1968 250S, 1991 300se, 1998 SL500, 1977 450SEL 6.9. Past MB's; 300SD, 300E, 300TE, 190E, ML420
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Garage
You can get EPC here.

https://epc.startekinfo.com/epc/login.jsp

If you are restoring a car, it is pretty much mandatory to find all the parts you will need.

Once you have found the part number use this site to see if the part is still available from MB:

Mercedes-Benz Classic Ersatzteile
Winegarden likes this.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumb View Post
I'll try to answer a few of these:

1. Is there a way to avoid cracks in the dashboard and similar parts? I am thinking of buying a new one, but would like to know what could be done, to prevent cracks from appearing.

The cracks happen over time from heat, sunlight, etc. Here in the US there are companies that can fix them at your house. there is a company in california that will make a new one on your frame for @$800 or so. I doubt that you can still get one from MB, if you could it would be more than $800. When you get EPC you can find the part number and then see if they are available. You need to contact the german Classis Center in Stutgart they can help you find many parts.

Tow hitches were available options, especially in europe. You need to get you build card to see what options your car cam with. If you dont have one the Classic center can get one for you.

This info is not available at all.

your trunk is probably DB 164

This site has a lot of good info that applies to other cars than the pagodas:
Pagoda SL Group Technical Manual :: DataCard / PaintCodes

Yes, again get your build card to see if your car had it.

No.

Cheers for the answers

1. 800$ seems quite a lot to fix the dashboard, I saw new dashboards for the W 115 for a few hundred Euros on the internet. But now I searched for them, and I only buy used ones, from 50 to 200 Euros. I found only one new one (original) for 1200 Euros haha… the sites where I looked, it says "out of stock" now. But I remember that it was a few hundred Euros, and same thing for the middle console, because I was thinking of replacing both as I have crack in both of them… those I've seen are not originals obviously, they're maybe not well made or faulty or don't fit 100%.

2. Actually I already have my card, I still have the bill and all the papers of the car (the car belonged to my grandfather) and no, I do not have the two hitch as an option It was added later I suppose, but it MAY be the original one. (––> a genuine MB one (not aftermarket) but added later basically)

16. There's nothing written about this in my card! Something tells me that the cars came always with the badge on… never unbadged…

Thanks for all the other answers!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumb View Post
You can get EPC here.

https://epc.startekinfo.com/epc/login.jsp

If you are restoring a car, it is pretty much mandatory to find all the parts you will need.

Once you have found the part number use this site to see if the part is still available from MB:

Mercedes-Benz Classic Ersatzteile
Thank you! Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in