I'm restoring my grand fathers 220 D. I will upload pictures later in a different thread.
With the time, I've had questions pop up that nobody could answer yet. I thought I'll post them here – perhaps someone knows some of the answers?
Would appreciate it if anyone could share some knowledge with me / with us. (questions & answers might be useful for other people too maybe…)
So here they are:
1. Is there a way to avoid cracks in the dashboard and similar parts? I am thinking of buying a new one, but would like to know what could be done, to prevent cracks from appearing
2. My W 115 has a tow hitch, but it was added later. I don’t know if it’s a 3rd party hitch, or if it’s an original MB hitch that was installed later. There are holes in the trunk of the car to hold it (between the number plate and the rear bumper). Was this the official solution? Are there any different solution for a tow hitch, for example one where I can remove the taw ball, and one where you don’t need to make holes in the exterior of the car?
3. Did the W 115 and W 114 models have different brakes? Which brakes can be mounted on my 220 D? Can I mount the brakes of a 280E for example? I will be driving a lot in mountains, so I do not want to save money on brakes and would prefer to get brakes that are perhaps a bit better than the car needs.
4. How many Stroke Eights in the colour 542 „Dark red“ have been produced? And how many have been produced in the colour 576 „Red“? Are there numbers of other MB models of that time that have been ordered in these colours?
5. What is painted in colour on the car, and what is painted in black? I know that the trunk is painted in black. Is there anything else? What is the colour code for that black colour, is it 040?
6. How are the carpets in the Stroke Eight attached? Mine weren’t there anymore except the ones on the sides, and these were glued apparently. There was also a smaller carpet in the tray in the center console, between both front seats. But it wasn’t glued, it was just „put“ there.
7. Why do some Stroke Eights have carpets on the sides of the middle console, and others don’t? Was this an option, or did this depend on some models?
8. What are some alternatives to asphalt for the isolation of the floor of the car? I removed all of the asphalt to see in what condition the floor of the car is. I found some water underneath it, and read a lot of times, that this is a typical thing – water that will gather up underneath the asphalt. That’s why I’d prefer to not use that material. But on the other hand, I’ll be driving on highways with the car, and I’d like to interior to be well isolated from all kinds of sound. I’ll be doing long roads with the car so I hope not to have ear fatigue in this car.
9. What are the original front fog lights? Do you have a part number? Were these different depending on the country where it was sold? (My car is a European car so I am looking for the original European fog lights) Why are some fog lights yellow, and some are white?
10. What is the original rear for lamp? Again, does anyone have a part number? Did different models exist here as well?
11. I saw some different tail light models. I am not talking about the first and second gen (riffled) tail lights. I have seen some first gen tail lights that were darker that the ones I saw most of the times. I first thought they were darker, because of the Diesel / exhaust, but I read somewhere that it was a different model. I myself own various first gen tail lights, and I do notice that some are darker than others. They look sort of smoked and the colours are not as „funky“ as on the other ones. I’ve also seen tail lights (first gen) that were completely red. Is this an aftermarket thing, or was that original?
12. Are Stroke Eights without Radio Antennas rare? Because mine doesn’t have one. I’d love to install a radio, but if it’s rare to not have an Antenna (like it is rare on W 124 500Es to *not* have leather seats, or *not* have a sliding roof), then I’ll build the antenna into the window frame or somewhere else.
13. How can I mount two speakers on the rear shelf of the car? I have two lids in circle-form, where apparently the speakers were mounted when ordered with that option. Do I just open these somehow, to put my speakers in them, and if yes, how do I open them? Do I have to cut them out?
14. Where do you mount the right rear mirror, and where was it mounted officially? I see some cars with the right rear mirror on the right wing, and some other cars have it on the right door. What’s correct and what’s wrong? Where was it mounted when you ordered the option to have a right rear view mirror?
I’d love to mount it on the door – but if I do this, do you actually see anything? Don’t you have to turn your head really far to the right, to see something? And if I mount it on the door, is there something already prepared on the inside of the door, for example to make holes or something? Or do you have to improvise with the position?
15. I heard there are two versions of the front-centre-armrest, a short version (for cars that have the gear shift in the middle console) and a longer version (for cars that have the gearshift on the steering wheel). Apparently the long version would pose problems for cars with the gearshift in the center console. Does anyone have both codes for these two variants of the armrest? And is it correct that the armrest is always attached on the passenger seat, thus adding another two versions of each armrest for LHD cars and RHD cars? (in total: long+LHD, long+RHD, short +LHD, short+RHD)
16. Was there an option to remove the model badge at the back of the car? Apparently the badges are fixed to the trunk with holes, that means if there was an option to remove the badge, there must be a trunk model without holes too. I am still thinking if I should remove my „220 D“, or leave it.
17. Was there an official „car cover“ accessory for the Stroke Eight?