LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Sep 2016
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
1971 280s stalls out in gear

Hi, I am just trying to get my 280s into the garage so it doesn't continue to rust any further. It has been sitting outside for 10 years or so without moving. It seems to have a fuel delivery problem. It turns over after a minute or so of cranking, but when I put it into gear and press the gas it stalls out. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 02:05 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2012
Vehicle: 1968 250S, 1991 300se, 1998 SL500, 1977 450SEL 6.9. Past MB's; 300SD, 300E, 300TE, 190E, ML420
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Garage
You dont mention your location in your profile, so I would guess europe somewhere?

Anyway, a carburetor car sitting for 10 years in a damp climate will be full of issues. Rust in gas tank, clogged filters, carburetor in need of rebuild. etc. As a minimum, I would think the accelerator pumps are buggered. You can take the top cover off and see if they are stuck in the bores as they will tend to do. The leather gasket can bond to the bore, so soak in wd40 and try and get them to move again. Dont just rip them out as they will probably tear and the replacement rubber ones pretty much dont work.

If you just want to get it in a garage then I suggest pushing it in.

If you want to get it running again, then you need to go over the entire fuel system to get it in order.
Scoot likes this.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 08:03 PM
w108,107 Parts Hoarder

Date registered: Jun 2010
Vehicle: 4Keep:450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500seAMG 2sell:500sl92 380se83 300se86 350sl4sp 75slc MorInSig
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1647 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grusselgrosser View Post
Hi, I am just trying to get my 280s into the garage so it doesn't continue to rust any further. It has been sitting outside for 10 years or so without moving. It seems to have a fuel delivery problem. It turns over after a minute or so of cranking, but when I put it into gear and press the gas it stalls out. Thanks in advance.

A word of warning... Don't crank too long or you can burn up the starter solenoid wire. I did this to a 1970 250c with the same engine and carbs after I cleaned and rebuilt the carbs. It was a fun adventure, but the car ended up a parts car. Mine also would not stay running when I put it in gear. I only got it half way around the block once.

You will want to take your time and really learn the dual zeniths or find someone who really knows them.

My signature:
Click for list of my 33 MB since 2010. If, you want 70's-80's Mercedes tuner wheels, let me know.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Sep 2016
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumb View Post
You dont mention your location in your profile, so I would guess europe somewhere?

Anyway, a carburetor car sitting for 10 years in a damp climate will be full of issues. Rust in gas tank, clogged filters, carburetor in need of rebuild. etc. As a minimum, I would think the accelerator pumps are buggered. You can take the top cover off and see if they are stuck in the bores as they will tend to do. The leather gasket can bond to the bore, so soak in wd40 and try and get them to move again. Dont just rip them out as they will probably tear and the replacement rubber ones pretty much dont work.

If you just want to get it in a garage then I suggest pushing it in.

If you want to get it running again, then you need to go over the entire fuel system to get it in order.
Thanks for the response. I am in the United States. So I got the car into the garage under it's own power but it was difficult. At first, it was stalling out whenever I tried to put it in gear and press the accelerator. After a few more tries it would no longer stall out but it still wouldn't move. I could feel it trying but it just couldn't do it. It budged, but something was holding it back. My driveway is on an incline and even after I put it in neutral and then reverse, it was unable to move. (Parking brake was off of course) After a couple tries I was able to reverse and then put it in low gear and make it into the garage. At first I was thinking the transmission was bad but since the car wouldn't even move on an incline in neutral I was starting to wonder if the years of sitting outside had caused so much rust and corrosion that the wheels brakes and other parts of the driveline had partially seized up. I would like to get the car running but I don't want to spend a fortune.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 04:57 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2010
Vehicle: 1967 250SE (W108)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Jack it up and see if the wheels turn. I'd bet it was the rubber brake lines. They are notorious for deteriorating internally making them act as a one way valve. You can do a search on this site to see several discussions about this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in