LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-26-2016, 01:04 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Aug 2016
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
W114 300d to 220d swap or swap manual onto 300d? Help

So I have a W114 with a very clean body which is hard to find. Automatic transmission is not shifting into second gear basically at all. Or if shifts very very very slow. I'm wondering if this could possibly be a vacuum actuator issue. I also have 2 20 D parts cars with manual transmissions Both good motors but the body's on both are complete rustbucket's.

One is bad enough that if you open all the doors at the same time the unibody flexes and it's hard to get the door shut again.

What I'm wondering is if I could take the manual and put it on the 3 L motor and how difficult this would be? Or if I can swap both the motor and the transmission how difficult this would be in the W114. All three cars are W1 14's. Any tips would be very helpful.

Also the 1975 300d with the clean body runs well aside from not shifting, but I'm wondering what type of problems I could run into and how much money I need to save to put it back on the road. At the moment it's been in storage but it's been in storage for about eight years and I'd like to get in the road at some point.

This questions keep me up at night. So any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 09:31 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Oct 2012
Vehicle: 1972 220 D, 1974 450SL, 1995 E300D 2002 S430, 1976 300D
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Diesel car that sits is pretty unhappy until you get a bunch of new miles on it. It takes a few Italian Tune Ups to get the cob webs and boogers out of the system and for the engine to begin to perform properly again. Fresh fluids help.

None of the cars, if they are diesel, are W114. They are all W115, which is the same body, just engine designation (based on pistons). The 300D will be an odd beast to change out transmissions with the manuals. Since you have the cars available, you can set them side by side and methodically swap out the clutch and pedals from the 220D into the 300D with minimal sweat or swearing. Getting the transmission in will be another issue altogether. The slush box is huge and heavy, the manual is all of 80 pounds and small. The OM617 is much longer than the OM615, so you will have to figure out the dimensions of the long engine minus long slush box, mated to smaller stick shift to get a clue as to what you will swap the drive shaft out for.

Drive shaft will need to be cut or grown, then balanced properly so it will mate up right between trans and diff. This is the point where most of these projects die. There are VERY FEW shops (maybe 2) that can build and balance Benz shaft properly and it is not inexpensive.

I would think the sale of the OM615 manual set up would fund a very high quality rebuild of the slush box (in the $1800-2500 range). Strip what you can off the 220D carcasses that might prove useful on the 300D, sell the rest on FleaBay or elsewhere. Not much market for parts unless they are in really good condition though. You should salvage the windscreens, maybe doors if they have manual windows (swap those in should the automatic ones fail) seats and dash bits. The blower fan if it works is always nice. Lighting is good to have on hand. Scrap value of the bodies is in the crapper. Last I knew it was all of $100.

74 450SL - Froggy
'02 s320 - Victor
'86 300SDL - Polei

Retired cars
'76 300D - Voldemort
'95 E300D - Cleo
'72 220D - Gump
'87 300SDL - POS SDL

92 300SE - #1 boys ride
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: