post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Sep 2015
Vehicle: 1972 280SE 3.5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
1972 280SE 3.5 (W108) Restoration

Hi all, I've been lurking around this forum for some time now, gaining all important knowledge from other posters. Thought it was about time posted something of my own!

I purchased this W108 around a year ago from a private collector. He was an older gentleman, who had about 10 Mercedes that he had collected over the years. Unfortunately he had been battling with terminal leukemia for some time, and was selling his collection to fund treatment.

I bought one of his W108's sight unseen, while I was working overseas. I had it transported to my home town, and stored for 4 months before eventually moving home to New Zealand, and taking a first look at what I had bought.

This was my first glimpse, was pretty dusty but looked in reasonable shape.

I was told that it ran and drove, however upon putting a new battery in, it wouldn't start. So the next thing to address was fuel. I figured the fuel had probably been sitting for a while, so I dropped the fuel tank, got a new fuel filter (genuine of course), and a bunch of new fuel lines. Also changed the oil, and gave the spark plugs a good clean up.

Note the gunk all over the diff....

Added some new high octane fuel, and some injector cleaner additive.
Started up first pop, good oil pressure, no smoke or strange noises. Very pleased
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
Once it was up and running, I moved it to the big garage at my new house.

Gave it a good clean up and a bit of a polish, to see what was under all that grime.

Came up pretty well! A high quality repaint will be on the cards in the future, but is pretty low down on the list at this stage.

PS. I had a bit of trouble sizing and uploading the images, so if you can't see them or they're too big, let me know.
Michael Pillay likes this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
I have a wee problem that I wouldn't mind a bit of help with, if someone can chime in here.

I took the rocker covers off to clean the oiler tubes and inspect chain, tensioners etc... This is what I found:

Unfortunately a head bolt had broken off. Washer and bolt head were just sitting there, haven't appeared to cause any damage luckily! I managed to get the bolt out with a few taps and a good pair of vise grips.
The thing I would like to get some advice on, is what to do now? I have ordered a genuine replacement head bolt, but I am wondering what the cause of this happening could be.... Would it be best to replace all head bolts? Bit of a pain without the specialty tools. But could be done.
If not, should I re-torque the old bolts? The ones I can get to at least... Let me know your views. Cheers

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 06:58 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2010
Vehicle: 1972 280SEL daily driver. 904 Dark Blue with cognac interior. euro 4.5 engine
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
I have pulled/replaced several heads on 4.5 liter cars with none of the "special" MB tools. I purchased an 8 mm 6" long ball end hex and use it on all the hard to get to head bolts. Works great. The one I have is similar to this one:

3/8 Inch Drive, 8mm Ball End Hand Hex Bit 44153179 - MSC

I would be tempted to replace it, run the engine, and re-torque that one when hot. Why, because your head gasket is obviously not leaking and the car before last, I ended up breaking 2 head bolts off when pulling the head. It is a pain.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 02:14 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Aug 2009
Vehicle: '72 250C, '74 280C, '85 500SEL, '81 300CD.
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
I agree with replacing the bolt. I've seen this happen several times to the older diesels (615's &617's) and each time I was lucky enough to get the broken head bolts out, I replaced them, re-torqued and went on my merry way.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 05:24 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
Does anyone have pictures of an M116 3.5 engine in it's factory form? Maybe some old pictures from Mercedes Benz brochure or something. Looking to restore my engine bay to as close to original as possible. Would like to know which parts to have yellow zinc plated, etc. Thanks in advance.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 05:32 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2012
Vehicle: 1968 250S, 1991 300se, 1998 SL500, 1977 450SEL 6.9. Past MB's; 300SD, 300E, 300TE, 190E, ML420
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Garage
These are a 6.9, first is a factory rebuilt engine the second a sales picture.

Note however that the sales pictures may look better/different than the actual production engines.

Search this forum, there is guy that posts/ has a site for hundreds of Mercedes brochures.

this was posted just a few days ago http://oudemercedesbrochures.nl/Engels_index.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600 (7).jpg
Views:	77
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	1964881   Click image for larger version

Name:	6.9 engine sales lit.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	1964889  

Last edited by rumb; 08-31-2016 at 05:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in