post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 08:22 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2009
Vehicle: 99 ML 430; 61 220Sb
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
61 220b questions

hey guys, i've been sparingly posting on this forum, about my 61 220b that I've had for about 11 years now. Sadly i never had too much time for this car, but shes been patiently waiting for me. This week I had a friend visit the country and actually brought her back to life!

This is her running after sitting not started for more than 5 years.

Yesterday we went back to clean the carbs a little, as they were stuck and had old gas in them as well. But we got them cleaned up and working great again, and one of the vacuum diaphragms is leaking on the tray underneath only when revving the engine. Already ordered a rebuild kit for the Solex's so I can replace that.

Now I want to do some work on her, to see if I can get her to come out of the garage.

1. I need to do a coolant flush, but don't know what type to use.
2. The gas tank is empty (car ran for about 20 minutes and used up all the gas). Ill replace the fuel filter in the engine bay, but would it be worth taking out the tank and cleaning that as well?
3. It has a hydrak transmission, and the shifter isn't working that well. Its very sloppy and I can't even locate where reverse is. Are there any places where I can find diagrams/parts for it to make it more precise? what is the shift pattern on the Hydraks?
4. rear diff has an oil leak, and it seems like the whole diff is covered in oil. Any tips on what would cause that?
5. I need seatbelts, as it has none.
6. The electrical wire running from the brake MC to the rear stoplights is torn, and the lights don't work. How can that be replaced/fixed?
7. Side question, but what are the 3 lights in the bottom right of the instrument cluster? top is blue, middle is green and bottom is red I believe. What do they tell you?

Here are some pics from last night:

The electrical system on it is in great shape. amazingly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
I also forgot to mention that I have a manifold with Zenith carbs in the trunk, but that might be way later down the road. I would like to keep this car as original as possible, which is why I want to work on keeping the hydrak and original Solex's.

Are the zenith carbs worth anything?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 11:55 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2012
Vehicle: 68 250S, 91 300se, 98 SL500, 450SEL 6.9, 14 CLS550 Past MB's; 300SD, 300E, 300TE, 190E, ML420
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Garage
congrats on getting it running again!

1. I need to do a coolant flush, but don't know what type to use.

Citric acid works well. You can get it at natural grocery stores.

2. The gas tank is empty (car ran for about 20 minutes and used up all the gas). Ill replace the fuel filter in the engine bay, but would it be worth taking out the tank and cleaning that as well?

If it worked well so far you are probably good, but there is probably a big filter on the bottom the tank that would be good to replace. Do change you other fuel filter right away before you run engine anymore.

3. It has a hydrak transmission, and the shifter isn't working that well. Its very sloppy and I can't even locate where reverse is. Are there any places where I can find diagrams/parts for it to make it more precise? what is the shift pattern on the Hydraks?

You should get one of these:
Mercedes Type 220SEB Catalog D 1962 12052 12053 | eBay
It will have parts diagrams in it. EPC is better but costs now and will have the diagrams as well as the part numbers in it.

Supply your VIN to us and I can post the diagrams for your car.

There are several bushing in the linkages that are prob well worn out and need replacing.

Get this also:
1960 Mercedes Type 220SEB Owner's Manual FO1040 Enohfz | eBay

4. rear diff has an oil leak, and it seems like the whole diff is covered in oil. Any tips on what would cause that?

Best place to start is clean it off really well and then see where the leaks are. Probably a real good idea to change the oil in it.

There are several choices on fleabay from originals $750 to aftermarket ones for much less.
search for W111 seat belt

6. The electrical wire running from the brake MC to the rear stoplights is torn, and the lights don't work. How can that be replaced/fixed?

A picture would help, but if there is a clean break you can easily splice it back together.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 11:59 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 68 250S, 91 300se, 98 SL500, 450SEL 6.9, 14 CLS550 Past MB's; 300SD, 300E, 300TE, 190E, ML420
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlinduL View Post
I also forgot to mention that I have a manifold with Zenith carbs in the trunk, but that might be way later down the road. I would like to keep this car as original as possible, which is why I want to work on keeping the hydrak and original Solex's.

Are the zenith carbs worth anything?
nah - just send them to me.

If you do decide to get rid of them let me know.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Hey Rumb,

Thanks for answering. the VIN is 111010-11-022028. I think I may have some literature from when I got the car, as those books look oddly familiar.

I'll get more pics of the electrical wire tomorrow as well.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 02:45 PM
w108,107 Parts Hoarder

Date registered: Jun 2010
Vehicle: 4Keep:450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500seAMG 2sell:500sl92 380se83 300se86 350sl4sp 75slc MorInSig
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1796 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
I think I had my zeniths with the manifolds for sale for a while looking for $200 in my pocket on eBay, about $250 with fees plus shipping probably. I think I finally ended up selling them for $150 to someone in my driveway. I really thought that setup would have been worth much more, but I gave up trying to get more. Cash in the driveway and no need to package and ship... Seemed worth it to me. If it runs on the solex, keep it running!

My signature:
Click for list of my 34 MB since 2010. If, you want 70's-80's Mercedes tuner wheels, let me know.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2016, 05:11 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Garage
This should get you started
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	220b shifter.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	1945922  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2016, 03:14 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Oct 2002
Vehicle: 1967 250 SL, 1963 220Sb
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlinduL View Post

7. Side question, but what are the 3 lights in the bottom right of the instrument cluster? top is blue, middle is green and bottom is red I believe. What do they tell you?
My answers, fwiw:

2. Take out the fuel sender, look in the tank with a flashlight. If you see crap in there, you might want to clean the tank. If it smells like lacquer, you might want to clean the tank more thoroughly. In general, I think running all the gas out of the car to get it out of the tank is the opposite of what you want to do. Draining it is better. Plus you don't get all the gas out of the tank either way. There is a "flower pot" filter in the center of the tank accessed from the bottom. You'll want to replace that. I'm surprised your car has a fuel filter under the hood.

4. Clean the diff. Best guess is that the CV boot (the right side of the diff, where the swing axle is connected) is shot. Somewhat of a PITA to replace, but you gotta do it.

5. It has mount points for 3 or 2 point belts.

6. What you should have is a pressure switch on the driver side of the master cylinder, with two terminals. The wires going to it connect to the two terminals. My best guess is that if you short the two wires together the brake lights come on, but that's just my guess.

7. Blue = high beam, Red = low oil pressure or low alternator, White = choke knob is pulled out. If you have a green one instead of white one then I have no idea what the green one is. Perhaps Hydrax-specific?

FWIW, my experience is based on my old parts car, a 61 220S and my current fintail, a 1963 220S. Both with "normal" manual transmission.

Scott

Currently: 1967 250 SL, 1963 220Sb, 1965 300SE Lang, 1971 280SE parts car, 1972 Alfa GTV, 1965 Alfa Duetto, 1993 BMW R100R
Past: 1971 250 C, 1985 300 TD, 1967 250 S, 1968 280 S,1981 300 D, 1982 280CE, 3 Facel Vegas, Borgward Isabella Coupe, Alfa 2600 Sprint, Volvo P1900 (yes), numerous less interesting Volvos, ...
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-20-2016, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
rumb, thank you for the diagram. Do you think I can get the part numbers as well?

Here is a photo of the wire I was mentioning. Its coming out of the MC and it looks like it was chewed? Can this be replaced?

I also drained the fuel in the gas tank, and tried replacing the fuel strainer. I ordered one that I came across on multiple websites, however it doesnt even come close to the one that I currently have on there.

What part number might the old one be? Can it be washed and placed back in? I think its too dirty to even try.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2016, 04:01 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jun 2009
Vehicle: 1955 300 SL
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Try an ultrasonic cleaner for the old filter unit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.