Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

220D oil consumption and black smoke after historic rally

746 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  biggreen1 
#1 ·
Hey guys my 220D had been consuming some oil even though I had a high viscosity on 25W60 Castrol Viscous oil in it...It would burn a lot but not as much as after this event.

Took the car for a historic rally maybe about 180 miles or so was half a tank of diesel when before refueling right before the event and the oil was topped off.

There was a lof of hill climbing and I really had make the old Merc work for it, there was no overheating everything went smooth.

When we were heading back home I felt the car was pulling or surging a bit at a certain rev range nothing too uncomfortable, stopped to fill up with more diesel and that's when I started having problems...

Suddenly the oil pressure gauge dropped to 30 and then 15 on acceleration even going down close to zero and back up to 45. Had to exit the freeway on the next ramp and checked the oil level.

Guess what... it burnt 4.3 quarts of oil! It was basically running with no oil.

Picked up some oil at the gas station URSA 40 SAE HD filled it up and brought it home, on the way home I notice suddenly an increase in power on the freeway followed by a lack of power once I got downtown. I have to give it more gas to go at red lights per say... It even stalled for me a couple times.

Next morning... (today) turn it on 40 sec pre glow fire up a bit lumpier at the start than usual but fine, lack of power is still present and now I have black smoke even under mild acceleration.

So I guess question is:

-How the hell do you burn more than a gallon of 25w60 oil in just 180 miles?
-Any ideas on the loss of torque, pulling and black smoke?

Filters are new, tank and lines were cleansed about a year ago. Haven't gotten around adjusting the valves but I don't think that's it.

Any ideas?

Sorry for lengthy post.

PS: FYI Last month I ran the car with 100% Biodiesel have don e it before with no problems at all.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
KPeters,

I'm leaning very heavy towards diaphragm on vacuum pump has a hole in it. My '71 would smoke on downhill runs when I was not on the gas. Then a larger hole developed. It had to be towed.

Shop wanted to look at taking the motor apart looking for a busted ring....I reminded them that the line from the vacuum pump to the intake was full of oil. I was willing to wrongfully pay for the vacuum pump to be checked out.

The repair was reasonable and the car uses no oil.

I can send pics of the line that was full of oil or the diaphragm if interested. Link to my adventure with this below.

Good luck,
Tim

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/vintage-mercedes-benz/2338913-220d-rough-running.html

#3 ·
Thanks for your reply I did the following:

-Disconnected the vacuum pump hose to the intake manifold noticed it was broken making the idle a bit higher, had a little bit of oil in it but certainly not even close to consider it's causing the problem. With the car started up I also noticed there was no discernible sensation of air coming from the hose could this be a bad air pump? Or is this the feed side of the pump? Not familiar with it.

-Disconnected the vacuum line that goes from the governor to the throttle body at the throttle body and noticed it had some diesel on it. Disconnecting it with the car on of course will make the idle rise quickly.

I'm afraid I may have some sort of catastrophic oil ring failure but still a gallon of oil in 180miles sounds outrageous.

Any pics you have would be great of course! I could take a video of the car running as well.

#4 ·
KPeters,

The shop disconnected the hose on mine and started it. It sprayed everywhere. They spent and hour or two steam cleaning a previous clean engine bay and white car. I was probably burning a quart+ every 15 miles!

Sounds like you need to keep searching. That line appeared very full of oil.

Keep us in the loop,
Tim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.