w111 interior wood trim refinishing, recuperations, suggestions, previous experience? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-19-2016, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2016
Vehicle: 1986, W126, 300SE - 1965, W111, 220SEb
Location: the very very deep South, Santiago, Chile, South America
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to AustralMercedes
(Thread Starter)
w111 interior wood trim refinishing, recuperations, suggestions, previous experience?

Hello All,

My second post here regarding my new-to-me 1965 w111 220 SEb coupe - how to recuperate the wood interior trim.....

All my trim is extant, but not in great shape. I need advice.

The trim around the windshield, including top of dash, was refinished by 13 meth soaked Chilean monkeys wielding a worn nail file years ago. It was grinded down some, and then left with a matte, fuzzy finish, with a light caste. This includes the speedo / tach cluster, which has separated (3/8 inch + -) from the main part of the dash.

The vertical DashBoard trim, what faces the occupants where the radio, ashtray etc is in its original condition. That means it is now matte and filled with many many cracks, like a really old oil painting. Not totally sans charm, just looks worn and tired. Only the inside of the glove box door, maintains its rich "Steinway patina" of a glossy, brilliant polished wood.

So...my first round of neophyte questions:

-Do I just remove sand and revarnish all the bits, or is it tricker than this.?

-Was the original lovely dark grain pattern of the wood a veneer (which means it probably has been sanded away in the previous renovation) or was it 1 piece of solid high quality wood, which means it can resist another round of sanding?

-Does anyone have a specific, like a brand or product name, suggestion for what varnish to use? On the pictures I see online, or on the interior of my glove box this is Piano Gloss quality, REALLY nice, a solid plastic coating. Not just a decent marine varnish. And an actually coating, like a layer of polyurethane, not an impregnating oil (linseed etc)

-Anyone know how to refix the speedo / tach cluster to the rest of the dash?? I have not yet gotten under there. Is it just glued? Or will I find some screws and brackets or some other Teutonic invent? The speedo cable sometimes whines. Lacking commercially available graphite powder here, I had to grind up some pencils (homemade graphite powder!) several years ago to lubricate it for its previous owner. Worked so far...mostly.

Thanks in advance!!

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2016, 01:28 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2013
Vehicle: 2002 SL600 Silver Arrow, 1966 300SE Cabriolet, 2009 Smart Cabriolet
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Scott,

There is a place near Santa Barbara California "Madera Concepts" that does excellent automotive wood refinishing. I'm sure they have a web site.

The wood in a W111 is a veneer most of which is .5 to 1 millimeter thick.

I believe the instrument binnacle is fastened with several knurled or wing nuts somewhere underneath and in back.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2016, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2016
Vehicle: 1986, W126, 300SE - 1965, W111, 220SEb
Location: the very very deep South, Santiago, Chile, South America
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to AustralMercedes
(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the tip.

Google led me to
Automotive Wood Restoration
which is indeed impressive. Lots of pictures of very very fine vehicles.

I rather suspect that their unredoubtable skills are out of my budget, as well as continent. They do seem like the ultimate solution though and I will contact them for actual pricing.

Thanks also for the veneer info. That is what I had suspected....I think the previous renovation blasted away most of the veneer of some parts of the upper dash.

Instrument binnacle (this sounds like a scrabble word...) that would make sense - thats how lots of instruments are held in place. I have yet to really get under there. I hope it is that simple as a few knurled knobs getting tightened

Appreciate your info, thanks!
Scott
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-21-2016, 04:07 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 1965 220SE sedan (finnie) with 450SE conversion, 1964 220SE coupe project, 1966 300SE coupe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Hi Scott,
The wood that goes basically around the windscreen on the inside is timber, not veneer. There are biscuit joins in the upper corners that sometimes give out after so many years. And the bit at the base of the windscreen is made of a few pieces too that can suffer from the same dried out old glue.
I am not a big fan of timber so I have actually made the fascia out of fibreglass and will paint it. Good luck on solving your problem. A mate over here just found a timber guy that does French polishing of furniture and he had no problem making his timber look super.
Cheers, Drew
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2016, 02:25 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2015
Vehicle: 1963 220SB Automatic
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
I am planning on refinishing mine over the summer and am a little nervous about removal. My trim is solid wood and yes the joints have dried out a little and may require some carefully marched wood filler before final finishing. Does anybody have a recommendation for the correct type of stIn or varnish I should be using to be as original as possible? Good luck with yours.
Best wishes, Steve.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2016, 10:52 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2006
Vehicle: 73 280SE 4.5, 71 300SEL, 03 BMW Z4, 72 Fiat 850, 80 Triumph TR7, 85 Porsche 911
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Grubeguy Send a message via Yahoo to Grubeguy
Heritage Woodworks comes to mind, if you outsource it. They're usually cited when someone asks the same question.

When I did the wood on my 10, I used marine varnish and polyurethane - I figured if the stuff would stand up to a harsh ocean environment, it would do the same inside a car. I used paint remover to get rid of the varnish (with the aid of a plastic putty knife), and sanded the stuff as smooth as I could get it. I used a couple coats of a color I liked and then many many many coats of the clear stuff. It all came out beautifully, especially amazing since I was stationed in Monterey CA at the time. Monterey's not known for its hot weather

If you're able to, do this outside so that the warmth of the sun (or heat lamps, now that I think of it) cures the stuff you're putting on. It made my job go quickly.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 12:36 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Mar 2014
Vehicle: 1968 280se, 1972 280se 4.5, Land Rover disco II, Triumph Thruxton, Triumph Tiger. +boring Chevy Van
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustralMercedes View Post
Hello All,

My second post here regarding my new-to-me 1965 w111 220 SEb coupe - how to recuperate the wood interior trim.....

All my trim is extant, but not in great shape. I need advice.

The trim around the windshield, including top of dash, was refinished by 13 meth soaked Chilean monkeys wielding a worn nail file years ago. It was grinded down some, and then left with a matte, fuzzy finish, with a light caste. This includes the speedo / tach cluster, which has separated (3/8 inch + -) from the main part of the dash.

The vertical DashBoard trim, what faces the occupants where the radio, ashtray etc is in its original condition. That means it is now matte and filled with many many cracks, like a really old oil painting. Not totally sans charm, just looks worn and tired. Only the inside of the glove box door, maintains its rich "Steinway patina" of a glossy, brilliant polished wood.

So...my first round of neophyte questions:

-Do I just remove sand and revarnish all the bits, or is it tricker than this.?

-Was the original lovely dark grain pattern of the wood a veneer (which means it probably has been sanded away in the previous renovation) or was it 1 piece of solid high quality wood, which means it can resist another round of sanding?

-Does anyone have a specific, like a brand or product name, suggestion for what varnish to use? On the pictures I see online, or on the interior of my glove box this is Piano Gloss quality, REALLY nice, a solid plastic coating. Not just a decent marine varnish. And an actually coating, like a layer of polyurethane, not an impregnating oil (linseed etc)

-Anyone know how to refix the speedo / tach cluster to the rest of the dash?? I have not yet gotten under there. Is it just glued? Or will I find some screws and brackets or some other Teutonic invent? The speedo cable sometimes whines. Lacking commercially available graphite powder here, I had to grind up some pencils (homemade graphite powder!) several years ago to lubricate it for its previous owner. Worked so far...mostly.

Thanks in advance!!

Scott
Hi Scott.
I did a write up of my dashboard project on my 4.5. Hope it helps
Cheers John.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/vint...h-project.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in