Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

New series on NETFLIX main character is a 1972 280 sedan?

29K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  mercbentz 
#1 ·
Hey guys, the wife and I started watching a new series on netflix called "Love" and the very opening scene I was surprised to see a vintage benz. We have seen 5 of the 12 episodes, but whats really cool is that the car is shown A LOT in this series, alomst like a main character. The car looks to be around a 1972, but there are no badges in the rear. I am guessing that it is a 280? It has some power options and of course the cracked steering wheel and dashboard. It's a great series, check it out if you have the time. :laugh

#5 ·
As an aside: German is my first Language, so I watch some ARD mediathek and ZDF medithek (German first & second TV channels commercial free).
Quite a few serials have classic Mercedes in them from R107, W108 4.5, W111 convertible, W114 /115, W116 450SE, W123, W126 and more.
Best of all they usually have the so much nicer looking Euro glass headlights :grin
Cheers

Attachments

#6 ·
I'm going to guess the sedan in "Love" is a diesel, not a w114 (but it could be neither).

No second lower front bumper:
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Classic car Luxury vehicle

No badge on the back:
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Classic car Mercedes-benz

Maybe it's a euro with no bumper guards and a badge delete.

But the smoke is what made me think diesel:
Land vehicle Vehicle Mode of transport Car Transport

And I think that when they went to the m110 to make it a 280, not a m130 250, it got a later steering wheel.
Vehicle door Driving Blond Automotive exterior Vehicle

Vehicle Driving Vehicle door Car Car seat

#7 ·
Thats the car. Now that I watch more of it, I don't think its a diesel or a 280. It sounds like a 6 cylinder gasoline engine. I did notice the single front bumper, not sure what models had the single bumper. This show is created by Judd Apatow, he also did "Freaks and Geeks" and "Un decleared", which were also some great shows.

#9 ·
"And I think that when they went to the m110 to make it a 280, not a m130 250, it got a later steering wheel."

We had a 73 280 with M110 and it had an early, ivory steering wheel(Column shift for the auto trans also). So it must have been an option at least. Don

#10 ·
"And I think that when they went to the m110 to make it a 280, not a m130 250, it got a later steering wheel."

We had a 73 280 with M110 and it had an early, ivory steering wheel(Column shift for the auto trans also). So it must have been an option at least. Don

Thank you for correcting me. It makes more sense that the wheel would change closer to 74 anyway.

#13 ·
The car is lovely, but there is no way it has original paint looking that good after 43 years. Somebody put a bucket of cash into putting it into such great shape. I vote badge delete during the fresh paint.

#17 · (Edited)
The car is lovely, but there is no way it has original paint looking that good after 43 years.
Heartily disagree. Here's my 1972 280 SE 4.5 with its entirely original paint, purchased new by my father, 58,325 miles as of yesterday afternoon, and this 1961 300 SL purchased new by my mother, 79,931 miles, still sporting its original paint:

Attachments

#15 ·
My wife and I also watch the show Love, and I noticed the car immediately! We just took a trip to LA and stayed in the Silver Lake neighborhood, where many of the exterior scenes in the show are filmed. In fact, we went to look at the actual house Mickey, the main character, lives in - it's real!

While we didn't see Mickey's car (!), the neighborhood is full of hipsters driving old Benzes. In just a few short days we saw about a dozen - plenty of W114s, W123s, W126s, R107s. The makers of the show must have been riffing on a theme by giving her that car!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.