Timingchain advice on 4.5 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2016, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Mar 2014
Vehicle: 1968 280se, 1972 280se 4.5, Land Rover disco II, Triumph Thruxton, Triumph Tiger. +boring Chevy Van
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Timingchain advice on 4.5

Hi All
Today I pulled the cam covers off and removed alternator, steering pump, radiator fan and shroud to gain access to the bolts for the timing chain guides.
I have removed the cam oilers so I can clean them and replace the plastic clips etc. On inspection of the cam's they look to be in very good shape. No scoring or flat spots. As far as the chain is concerned, I wanted some advice. It looks to also be in good shape with no slack when I try to pull up on it at the top. I noticed it has a master link. Does this mean it is a replacement? I was of the understanding the original chains have no master link? Also I noticed on the drivers side the head casing looks like it may have been gouged slightly by the chain (possibly the original) maybe the reason the previous owner replaced it? My question. Is there a definitive way and I can make sure this chain is good? Or would you just go ahead and replace anyway?
My next question is. The inside of the cam covers have some kind of sealant that has been applied at some point. (pretty ugly looking) Why would they have put sealant in there?
Any other advice while I'm in there would be greatly appreciated.
All the best John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2949.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	1771186   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2933.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	1771194   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2934.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	1771202  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2016, 09:17 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: '72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '14 GLK250
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wroding View Post
Hi All
Today I pulled the cam covers off and removed alternator, steering pump, radiator fan and shroud to gain access to the bolts for the timing chain guides.
I have removed the cam oilers so I can clean them and replace the plastic clips etc. On inspection of the cam's they look to be in very good shape. No scoring or flat spots. As far as the chain is concerned, I wanted some advice. It looks to also be in good shape with no slack when I try to pull up on it at the top. I noticed it has a master link. Does this mean it is a replacement? I was of the understanding the original chains have no master link? Also I noticed on the drivers side the head casing looks like it may have been gouged slightly by the chain (possibly the original) maybe the reason the previous owner replaced it? My question. Is there a definitive way and I can make sure this chain is good? Or would you just go ahead and replace anyway?
My next question is. The inside of the cam covers have some kind of sealant that has been applied at some point. (pretty ugly looking) Why would they have put sealant in there?
Any other advice while I'm in there would be greatly appreciated.
All the best John
If there is a master link, the chain has probably been changed. You can check if it needs changing by lining up the cam timing marks and checking how far from TDC you are on the main crank balancer.

If that is a 1972, and if it is like my 72 4.5L 107, it should have metal backed chain guides. General consensus is to keep them - replacements are plastic and problematic.

The chain tensioner is usually changed at same time as chain. Hopefully it too was done.

By the way - I have similar gauges caused by timing chain. Part of reason I changed my chain!

I plan on checking my chain and timing marks in Spring. Will consider putting in new sprockets because they are original. That should itself bring timing marks back closer to being aligned. Offset keys can also be used for adjustment.

Maybe someone else can advise you on that sealant!

1972 350SL 4.5L - MBGraham, near Kingston, Ontario
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2016, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Senior Member

Vehicle: 1968 280se, 1972 280se 4.5, Land Rover disco II, Triumph Thruxton, Triumph Tiger. +boring Chevy Van
(Thread Starter)
Thanks MB Graham.
I will check the alignment on the cam towers. Also check to see if the guides are metal. Also Is there a good way to check the cam gears for wear? I think I will put in a new tensioner just to be on the safe side.
As for the sealant, its a total mystery to me as to why someone would put that in there? The covers are in good shape.
All the best John.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2016, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Senior Member

(Thread Starter)
I just checked the guides. They are the metal backed type. By the sounds of it I should keep them.
John.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2016, 08:49 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
I just checked the guides. They are the metal backed type. By the sounds of it I should keep them.
John.
Definitely! I would hate to own a car with those plastic guides.

You don't want silicone getting in the engine so that is a puzzle.

The chain sprockets do wear. Somewhere on the BW 107 forum, I think, someone compared worn sprockets with new ones. The pictures might allow you to judge.

First setting timing marks and seeing how close you are might be first step. If marks line up, then your sprockets (and everything else) are probably good. There are numerous threads on chain replacement and timing on BW 116 and 107 forums that might be helpful.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2016, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Senior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBGraham View Post
Definitely! I would hate to own a car with those plastic guides.

You don't want silicone getting in the engine so that is a puzzle.

The chain sprockets do wear. Somewhere on the BW 107 forum, I think, someone compared worn sprockets with new ones. The pictures might allow you to judge.

First setting timing marks and seeing how close you are might be first step. If marks line up, then your sprockets (and everything else) are probably good. There are numerous threads on chain replacement and timing on BW 116 and 107 forums that might be helpful.
Thanks MBGraham
I will do a thread search on the 107 forums.
John.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2016, 02:45 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Thanks MBGraham
I will do a thread search on the 107 forums.
John.
Seeing sprockets are on my list of things to check, I did a search. This is the thread that I recalled reading:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r-c1...placement.html

Has some good info on how to check for wear.
wroding likes this.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2016, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Senior Member

(Thread Starter)
Just took these pix today of alignment marks on balancer and cam shafts. It looks like the passenger side is a little off. Does this indicate wear that I should be concerned about? Also do I need to change the cam gears?
John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2964[1].jpg
Views:	25
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	1774017   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2965[1].jpg
Views:	18
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	1774025   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2968[1].jpg
Views:	18
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	1774033   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2969[1].jpg
Views:	22
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	1774041   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2971[1].jpg
Views:	36
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	1774049  

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2016, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Senior Member

(Thread Starter)
Just took these pix today of alignment marks on balancer and cam shafts. It looks like the passenger side is a little off. Does this indicate wear that I should be concerned about? Also do I need to change the cam gears?
John.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2016, 05:18 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2012
Vehicle: 1968 250S, 1991 300se, 1998 SL500, 2x 1977 450SEL 6.9. Past MB's; 300SD, 300E, 300TE, 190E, ML420
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Garage
That one is just a few degrees off. My 300SE was off my 10 degrees at the crank when I replaced the chain.

If it bothers you just get an offset key for the one cam.

just remember that 1 degree crank equals 1/2 cam? or something like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in