LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 07:23 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Apr 2012
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
LED Lights for 76 W115 300D

Would these fit my car? I have the euro lights. If so would it be plug and play or would i need to have them wired? Thank you for the help. Top link is for all LED's for the car. Bottom is the high and low beam.

Holla, holla, holla, holla, holla, let me holla at you. holla holla holla. -Anthony Berry

Last edited by seventysix300d; 11-24-2015 at 07:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 02:54 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Oct 2012
Vehicle: 1972 220 D, 1974 450SL, 1995 E300D 2002 S430, 1976 300D
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
You might need to do some screwing around with wiring and relays to keep the car happy. System runs on load, and LED do not provide the load the system looks for. Two ways to remedy. One is to source lamps with resistors built in or swap in a timed relay instead of the original.

74 450SL - Froggy
'02 s320 - Victor
'86 300SDL - Polei

Retired cars
'76 300D - Voldemort
'95 E300D - Cleo
'72 220D - Gump
'87 300SDL - POS SDL

92 300SE - #1 boys ride
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-28-2015, 07:31 AM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Feb 2011
Vehicle: 1973 220D
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The LED's would work fine in the parking lights / running lights also brake and reverse lights but not the turn signals because (as redghost just said) the flasher circuitry needs that load in order to flash. This is by design so if you lost a turn signal lamp you could tell by the speed of the flashing.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-28-2015, 10:58 PM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: May 2009
Vehicle: Ferguson TED-20 1956, Mercedes-Benz 220 S 1963, Valmet 502 1973, Mercedes-Benz S 500c 1996
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I' in the middle of converting all lights on my W111 to LED (check out my (still incomplete) thread http://www.benzworld.org/forums/vint...rnization.html)

Here is what I can say of my findings so far:

you will need to either swap your turn signal relay for a LED type one (to get the correct flashing) or add some resistor's in paralel in the turn signal circuit. I will go with the LED-compatible turn signal relay.

If you have the euro light (as I did initially on mine) I would advice against putting that LED headlight in place of the original reflector, because this means that you will shine the light through the old cover glass, complete with the diffuse pattern for the original reflector. This pattern will have to be removed it you want to have a good light output (I toyed with this exact idea on my w111, but it did not turn out good). Then there is always the issue of fitment.

If you are set on LED, I'd go for some U.S. headlight assemblies, and put the led headlight bulb directly into those.
Also, there are A LOT of 7" LED headlight's available, so make sure to browse around and take the ones you like the most

Is it only the headlight you are converting or are you going to do 'everything'?
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: