Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1955 220a Not starting

1K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  230Terry 
#1 ·
Hi all

My 220a Ponton will not start. Engine turns over but no spark. Got all new parts for ignition cap coil points etc. so my thought is the ignition system so I am asking how can I "hot wire" it to bypass the ignition? I am guessing I need to be on the upside of the voltage regulator but does anyone know where I need to connect the battery terminals. The car has been laid up for ten years so just one broken connection could stop it starting.

Long story short where can I connect the battery to the coil at the earliest point to get it to fire at least ....... I can work back from there if it starts.

I would guess this applys to any non electronic ignition car regardless of make or model. I have seen the show Desert Car Kings where they started a motor straight out of the scrap yard on the floor of the workshop ......... how do they do that.

Thanks

Terry

#2 ·
I would backtrack the system looking for voltage. Is there power to the ballast resistor when cranking? is there power to the hot side of the points? have you checked your fuses for corrosion? pull them out and clean the ends.

#5 ·
Brett thanks

I found some of the terminals on the fuse box were loose ... one was even broken! Luckily I have a perfet fuse box spare so will start replacing it tomorrow. 17 terminals to change thanks mercedes for these being screw fixed.

Tried again today with all the new bits no joy and with a test lamp no life to the coil (which is good) so further up the line. Must say it turns over well for sitting for 10 years.

Terry

#13 ·
So it started today and ran for about 2 mins super smooth and quiet as a mouse the BANG ........... blue a pug out of the head!!!!! I suspected the threads were a bit shredded as the old plug was not easy to get out and the new one would not go very tight ....... luckily a friend of mine is a mechanic and is coming to fit a Time Sert thread reliner.

On the upside a friend of mine is going to get my fuel tank dipped/stripped for free ( the reason it went off the road some kind of sealant had been slushed in it and was coming off blocking the fuel filter) brake shoes relined new tyres and I am back on the road!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.