LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-27-2015, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2015
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question 1954 180d

Greetings from sunny Tampa Florida. Just beginning a resto-mod project on my 1954 180d. A120110-550953. I'm planning to "transplant" a CLK 500 under this piece of art. The 1954 is a bit rough but trusting that like all Mercedes I owned in the past parts are available. Anyone with experience (good or bad) with this type of project?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-27-2015, 01:52 PM
Cruise Control

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Sounds like a cool project. Most of the folks in this section are pretty much only interested in returning these vintage cars back to a state MB intended at the time they were manufactured. I appreciate that, but my tinker genes are always tugging at me, so resto-modding is probably my favorite kind of auto-preservation work.

Have you seen this vehicle?

MB-EXOTENFORUM - Sonderkarossen/Umbauten/Tuning - Wie cool ist das denn ? - W160,5 190E 2.3-16 !!
Noodles and BayouFlyFisher like this.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-27-2015, 02:48 PM

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 90 300E, 99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 931 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
That is a very well done build.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2015, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the link, exciting to see the vision I have already "cast in Steel". I need to learn a lot more, but am looking forward to the challenge. Will post photos soon.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-29-2015, 09:25 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2008
Vehicle: '55 W120 180, '08 W211 E350 Sportline
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I would not recommend putting that kind of power under the hood with that rear swing axle. Not very safe at high speed if you hit a bump on a curve. I have felt the rear wheels tuck under on my car with worn shocks. But I was travelling faster than I should have been. These dangerous early swing axles were the high pivot point twin axle types rather than the later Pontons low pivot type.

Also, there is a lower suspension arm bolted to the rear floor pan that is a point of weakness if there's any rust in that area.

These cars were not built to go that fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rozlem54 View Post
Greetings from sunny Tampa Florida. Just beginning a resto-mod project on my 1954 180d. A120110-550953. I'm planning to "transplant" a CLK 500 under this piece of art. The 1954 is a bit rough but trusting that like all Mercedes I owned in the past parts are available. Anyone with experience (good or bad) with this type of project?
Marsden likes this.

Thanks,
Mike
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-29-2015, 09:33 AM
Cruise Control

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
That's a good point of concern. I believe the Ponton in the link had both the front and rear subframes grafted from the 201 chassis. The 201 was the first truly modern MB chassis, and all the newer passenger vehicles they make share very similar suspensions; some producing over 500hp.

I should also draw attention to the rather short and narrow engine bay in the early four cylinder Pontons, which makes them poor candidates for vee configured engines or an inline beyond five pistons.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-30-2015, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
I will be meeting with a builder later today and should have more details to post after that conversation. My plan right now is to use the body from my 180d and everything else from a clk 500. I believe by doing this I will have all the modern features of the clk with the look of the 108.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 08:16 AM
BenzWorld Member

That should be the ultimate sleeper. The 0 to 60 time should reduce by a factor of 10!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rozlem54 View Post
I will be meeting with a builder later today and should have more details to post after that conversation. My plan right now is to use the body from my 180d and everything else from a clk 500. I believe by doing this I will have all the modern features of the clk with the look of the 108.

Thanks,
Mike
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 08:45 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2006
Vehicle: 73 280SE 4.5, 71 300SEL, 03 BMW Z4, 72 Fiat 850, 80 Triumph TR7, 85 Porsche 911
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Grubeguy Send a message via Yahoo to Grubeguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangrum View Post
I would not recommend putting that kind of power under the hood with that rear swing axle. Not very safe ... These dangerous early swing axles ... Also, there is a lower suspension arm bolted to the rear floor pan that is a point of weakness if there's any rust in that area.
Oh hell with that - I would! Rust = rust removal and reinforcement in that area. A rear swing axle can be replaced with something more modern, even something from the CLK donor (and this assumes you have the ability to modify that stuff as necessary).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangrum View Post
These cars were not built to go that fast.
I would differ in opinion - inability to go fast doesn't bespeak the deliberate engineering so the car couldn't. I've always liked the looks of classic Mercedes but have always disrespected their crappy/slow/not-fast engines (6.3 excepted of course).

This will be an interesting thread - I've given a lot of thought into placing a 108 or 109 body onto a modern all wheel drive Mercedes donor sub.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 09:49 AM
BenzWorld Member

I was just letting the OP know the risks of just dropping a big engine into a car. The suspension technology is 55 years old and I would not trust my life or others with it going that fast. Physics rule over opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubeguy View Post
Oh hell with that - I would! Rust = rust removal and reinforcement in that area. A rear swing axle can be replaced with something more modern, even something from the CLK donor (and this assumes you have the ability to modify that stuff as necessary).

I would differ in opinion - inability to go fast doesn't bespeak the deliberate engineering so the car couldn't. I've always liked the looks of classic Mercedes but have always disrespected their crappy/slow/not-fast engines (6.3 excepted of course).

This will be an interesting thread - I've given a lot of thought into placing a 108 or 109 body onto a modern all wheel drive Mercedes donor sub.

Thanks,
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in