Recently completed restoration: 1973 280SE 4.5 - Page 3 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 06:44 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2012
Vehicle: 1968 250S, 1991 300se, 1998 SL500, 2x 1977 450SEL 6.9. Past MB's; 300SD, 300E, 300TE, 190E, ML420
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Garage
"Most would consider it pretty amazing already, but a car of this quality needs to really be perfect."

Were just helping him get where he wants to be. It looks like he has done a lot correctly, just needs to finish it up. If he is going to sell it, he will get the same critique then.

I did check, and yes a single new license plate light is $1600 list from MB! I might of rechromed one before that choice though.

He should join MBCA, then he would get $320 off just that one part with their 20% discount!
sjketterer likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2013
Vehicle: 1973 280SE 4.5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Hi everyone, OP here....I would like to thank you for your comments, input and thoughts on the restoration. Some of you seem to be wondering why someone would spend a lot of money on a restoration where so many things were done well, while there are elements of the paint work that leave something to be desired. Fair question.

First of all, I would like to say I did not undertake this project to make money. I'm not in this business, nor do I want to be. Sometimes people do things for reasons other than profit! When I was a boy, my grandfather had a new 280SE that he used to drive us kids up and down the east coast (from our home in New York to his in Florida). I have a real emotional connection to the model as a result.

For many years, I've looked at these cars parade across my computer screens. Most of them are pretty undesirable. You've all seen the $5,000 280SE and you know well enough what that's going to be all about. I found myself continually wondering
what it would be like (and what it would cost) to bring back a solid vehicle, in terms of mechanics and body, and make it new again. It took me many years, but I finally found this really well-maintained and perfectly true California car, not far from my home in Sausalito. The time seemed right; I bought it and dove in.

I'm not a professional restoration artist, so I had to look for and trust people who were reputed to know what they were doing. In Collie Automotive, I found someone who knows these cars inside out and who approaches necessary work from a practical, and quality, standpoint. Darren Collie is a real pleasure to work with and I'd recommend him to anyone. You all pointed me to TruValve for the stainless steel exhaust, as well as GAHH for the new leather and carpet. I tried to use the best out there.

When it came to the paint, which is where most of you seem to be focused, again, I looked for the best I could find. I don't disagree that the car comes up short in this area. And, it seems for most of you, the overspray inside the engine bay and under the car is a fatal flaw. Some of you would say the paint job completely overshadows the rest of the work. Fair enough; everyone is entitled to their opinion. However, I do want you to know that the products used in the painting process were the very best and most expensive available. The paint was applied properly in terms of not too many coats, and the person I hired to spend three days wet sanding, buffing and polishing the car was very complimentary about most of the work.

So I don't disagree that there are errors with the paint. But, as the photos clearly show, the effect of the paintwork is brilliant. How often have you seen this color, DB-571? I've never seen it in person, but when I saw what it could look like on the car from a website that imitated stock colors on the model, it was clear it was the best way to go. And paired with the black carpet and leather upholstery, wow...it's difficult to put into words the feeling this vehicle imparts gliding down the road looking and feeling the way it does.

I will look into having the paint improved. I want to pass the car onto someone who will love it as much as I have enjoyed getting it ready. It was never my goal to hang onto the car; it was more something I just had to get out of my system. If it were my second car restoration, I'd definitely pay closer attention to the paint. But we have here what we have. I will certainly lose money on this transaction, probably a lot of money. But that's ok. I somehow feel good about having treated this car as well as I knew how, and putting one example of this fantastic automobile back on the road in a condition I feel very proud of.

One side note: I'm not sure why the glove box door looks as though it's not the same color as the rest of the dash, because we didn't touch that except to clean it lightly. In person there is no color difference. I do know if you download the dropbox photos, they are much clearer than if you just view them in dropbox. Perhaps that was the problem?

Thanks especially to those of you who saw and highlighted the good things that were done. All of it was with the best intentions.

Steve

Last edited by sjketterer; 06-17-2015 at 08:24 AM. Reason: Helpful addition
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 12:55 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2003
Vehicle: 2012 Focus SE
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
So, why not just keep the car? I don't think anyone will appreciate it as much as you do.
Kaelor likes this.
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 07:23 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2012
Vehicle: 2016 GLA250
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
sjketterer, your car looks beautiful, inside and out!
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 08:33 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2015
Vehicle: 1970 W115 200/8
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboyike View Post
So, why not just keep the car? I don't think anyone will appreciate it as much as you do.
Yes keeping the car would be the best option. Aside from the paint on the engine bay, it's a beautiful car you have there.
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 08:24 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jun 2015
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It is a shame that trades people can't be bothered to do a decent job, cheap or not, it's a question of pride. I suppose you pay peanuts, you get monkeys. ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in