LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-08-2015, 10:17 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Jan 2009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzi View Post
Wow! That's some great information. I had obviously never known before.

My 4.5 I recently purchased apparently often needs trans fluid apparently. It also smokes. I think the consensus is that it is oil burning and the valve seals most likely need replacing since the car was driven less than 100 miles in the last five years. BUT... I'm going to investigate this matter a little more. I will check to see if maybe my 4.5 is suffering from this condition.
There are a couple of things to consider, the valve stem seals obviously restrain engine oil from traveling down the valve stems but the intakes are the only ones exposed to manifold vacuum as the valves open on an intake stroke. The exhaust seals are not subjected to the low pressure waves in the same way. The intakes are really exposed during deceleration with the throttle closed as the engines gets its highest vacuum signal at that time so a deceleration followed by a rapid acceleration will make a cloud if there is a weakness in the seals. As well if the engine/ car is a high mileage vehicle then the seals have been exposed to a bunch of wear as well so sitting for a long period isn't as bad a having a million miles on it. Replacing the seals is a relatively easy task if you have the correct gear, there is likely a video on youtube or even better pay someone to do it. Good luck with your project, I have to go do plumbing repairs at the in laws today
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-08-2015, 10:44 AM
w108,107 Parts Hoarder

Date registered: Jun 2010
Vehicle: 4Keep:450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500seAMG 2sell:500sl92 380se83 300se86 350sl4sp 75slc MorInSig
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1625 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
There are a couple of things to consider, the valve stem seals obviously restrain engine oil from traveling down the valve stems but the intakes are the only ones exposed to manifold vacuum as the valves open on an intake stroke. The exhaust seals are not subjected to the low pressure waves in the same way. The intakes are really exposed during deceleration with the throttle closed as the engines gets its highest vacuum signal at that time so a deceleration followed by a rapid acceleration will make a cloud if there is a weakness in the seals. As well if the engine/ car is a high mileage vehicle then the seals have been exposed to a bunch of wear as well so sitting for a long period isn't as bad a having a million miles on it. Replacing the seals is a relatively easy task if you have the correct gear, there is likely a video on youtube or even better pay someone to do it. Good luck with your project, I have to go do plumbing repairs at the in laws today

Plumbing isn't as much fun as working on old cars, but it certainly is needed more frequently. I have a lot more experience plumbing than working on cars.

Thanks for the tips. I hadn't known about the acceleration, deceleration thing. I think that I have experienced and was told by the owner that it soles when you smash the gas pedal. Really I need to drive it a lot more. But first I need to get it on my hagerty policy as my 7-14 days of State Farm automatic coverage must be near about to expire. And of course it wi help to bolt the seats in as. The drivers seat rocks back every time I smash the gas, LOL,

My signature:
Click for list of my 32 MB since 2010. If, you want 70's-80's Mercedes tuner wheels, let me know.
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-08-2015, 01:09 PM
w108,107 Parts Hoarder

Vehicle: 4Keep:450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500seAMG 2sell:500sl92 380se83 300se86 350sl4sp 75slc MorInSig
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Hijack warning, but we are up to post 23 now. So that's ok. Right? Especially with an OP that isn't too responsive. Right?

Any chance of this being trans fluid? I'm thinking just oil. It smells like burnt oil to me, but I wonder if I could be confusing trans fluid.

http://youtu.be/xYJb77LykN0

My signature:
Click for list of my 32 MB since 2010. If, you want 70's-80's Mercedes tuner wheels, let me know.
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-08-2015, 01:40 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Jan 2009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
OK, the smoke looks like oil being burned. Try another type of engine oil to start with. I use Castrol GTX 20/ 50 but everyone has their favorite. The smoke by the dipstick is likely from an external oil leak. It doesn't appear to be trans fluid being burned so I wouldn't pursue that at this time. Fix the damed seat, you don't want to tell your insurance you hit the pole because the milk crate you were sitting on moved......
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-08-2015, 03:53 PM
w108,107 Parts Hoarder

Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
OK, the smoke looks like oil being burned. Try another type of engine oil to start with. I use Castrol GTX 20/ 50 but everyone has their favorite. The smoke by the dipstick is likely from an external oil leak. It doesn't appear to be trans fluid being burned so I wouldn't pursue that at this time. Fix the damed seat, you don't want to tell your insurance you hit the pole because the milk crate you were sitting on moved......

Thank you!
I will plan on giving the car an oil change with some thicker juice, and probably just going in for the valve seal job sooner rather than later. I know any m116/117 without records of timing chain service need to be at least inspected for TC stretch and wear, and while in there clean the oiler tubes, etc. I've done two of these TC jobs so far. On the second one, replacing the chain was over by the time I started. Fun stuff. I happen to have a spring compressor that I only used on the 1972 4.5 that I disassembled, taking it down to the block. I've still got the heads and pistons etc.

My signature:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in