Interior restoration need tips!! - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015, 04:43 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 1965 220SE sedan (finnie) with 450SE conversion, 1964 220SE coupe project, 1966 300SE coupe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
That gives you a chance to fix fans, window seals, heating, wiring under the dash.
This can be expensive! Just yesterday I got some prices for a few remnant rubber bits and pieces for my W111 coupe. And these parts are generic to 111's - it is not higher because it is a coupe. Here are the highlights:
- there is a foam seal between the heater and the ducts. There are 2. Price - $224US EACH.
- there is a foam block, about 4" long x 2" wide with a couple of holes in it that goes between the windscreen wiper motor and the body - about $120US
Just ridiculous how random the MB CC prices can be. I will be going to the local foam and rubber place to see what I can find.
May the 114/5 be less unpleasant than the 111.

Quote:
either that or I'll sell it for a some good money
I obviously do not know anything about the classic car market in Peru, but in Australia, the 114's are worth very little, even when in good condition. 115's even less so. No one makes money on them - you just have to love the cars and be prepared to lose money and pass that love onto the next owner.

Quote:
there is one advantage of living in Perú: leather is cheap
My good mate here in Oz married a Peruvian lass that he met whilst we were in Chile in the mines. Perhaps we should have a holiday to partake in hiking around your glorious country/scenery, and pick up some custom leather seat covers whilst I am there!

Cheers, Drew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2015
Vehicle: 1970 W115 200/8
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna Gaudi's 72 250 View Post
Hey guys, this is what I did with my cracked dash. I re-covered it using a textured vinyl. I wanted to use a textured leather, but I thought that it would probably dry out and crack due to the harsh sun here in NM and it would require a lot of maintenance.

I installed the vinyl while the dash was installed in the car. It would have been a million times easier if I did this when i had the dash out. I did remove the steering wheel and that made it a lot easier to work in there. I used a spray upholstery glue to hold it all in place. The lace trim was used to hide some of the seam lines. It's been almost three years and holding up rather well.
That looks quite good, of course not my personal taste of having all those designs but it looks like a good way of customizing your interior without going all ricer. However I would use contact cement to glue the vinyl since I've read it lasts way longer. I was thinking about using 3M carbon fiber vinyl and clear coat it on top to protect it from UV, but I'm not so sure how it would look. I might try it on a small piece at first just to see if it blends quite well. Also the issue about the padding inside; the normal vinyl is a bit padded and the carbon fiber vinyl isn't. Any ideas on this subject?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew56cus View Post
This can be expensive! Just yesterday I got some prices for a few remnant rubber bits and pieces for my W111 coupe. And these parts are generic to 111's - it is not higher because it is a coupe. Here are the highlights:
- there is a foam seal between the heater and the ducts. There are 2. Price - $224US EACH.
- there is a foam block, about 4" long x 2" wide with a couple of holes in it that goes between the windscreen wiper motor and the body - about $120US
Just ridiculous how random the MB CC prices can be. I will be going to the local foam and rubber place to see what I can find.
May the 114/5 be less unpleasant than the 111.

I obviously do not know anything about the classic car market in Peru, but in Australia, the 114's are worth very little, even when in good condition. 115's even less so. No one makes money on them - you just have to love the cars and be prepared to lose money and pass that love onto the next owner.

My good mate here in Oz married a Peruvian lass that he met whilst we were in Chile in the mines. Perhaps we should have a holiday to partake in hiking around your glorious country/scenery, and pick up some custom leather seat covers whilst I am there!

Cheers, Drew
I'm not so worried about the foam since they can make it here, they cut the foam and replace it. They can make a dash look as good as when it left the factory, so all the padding and foam is included in the price of upholstery.
In Peru there aren't many Mercedes, BMW's, Audi's, etc, not many euro cars around. Just in recent years the market of euro cars has increased thanks to the economic boom but now it is starting to slow down again since the US recovery. Almost 90% of the cars here are japanese, korean or chinese, only Chevrolet can somehow keep up with minor models like the Sail, Spark or Cruze. So you see, a Mercedes Benz is worth something here but of course it has to be sold to the right person and it has to be a well maintained car.

And yes you should definitely come! Peru is a nice country, I don't recommend staying in Lima much but the provinces are awesome, lots of nature and awesome sights. The only problem here is that people of the country are rather ignorant of their own needs and always follow some corrupt asshole who tries to take advantage of them and leads them on the wrong path just to make money for himself. Ok went a little off topic there lol. Anyway, if you happen to come here and you want to pick up some leather seat covers you should probably come with the measurement of your seats since they make it all custom and there aren't many Mercedes and even less older Mercedes.

Opinions on the carbon fiber vinyl wrap idea plz!!
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Forgot to mention I don't have heater or A/C so no problem with that
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Any thoughts??
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 11:58 AM
Cruise Control

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I would personally opt for a single color vinyl, rather than something with a design embedded. It's really hard to get the design to play right visually when you're stretching it over curves and angles.
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
what about carbon fiber vinyl?
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 02:06 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2012
Vehicle: 1972 220 D, 1974 450SL, 1995 E300D 2002 S430, 1976 300D
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
This is your car. It is a rarity in Peru, so anything you do to get it on the road will be better than allowing it to rust away. Cost to properly revive the car would be to have the Classic Center restore it. That may run to $30k.

I would suggest that you find a USA junkyard with a number of Mercedes cars that can be stripped down for parts. Collect enough and fill a 10 meter container. Ship it to the nearest port in Peru and set yourself up in the used car part business.

Clay

74 450SL - Froggy
'02 s320 - Victor
'76 300D - Voldemort
'95 E300D - Cleo
'72 220D - Gump
'87 300SDL - POS SDL

92 300SE - #1 boys ride
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redghost View Post
This is your car. It is a rarity in Peru, so anything you do to get it on the road will be better than allowing it to rust away. Cost to properly revive the car would be to have the Classic Center restore it. That may run to $30k.

I would suggest that you find a USA junkyard with a number of Mercedes cars that can be stripped down for parts. Collect enough and fill a 10 meter container. Ship it to the nearest port in Peru and set yourself up in the used car part business.
Haha that's a good idea but since there aren't many of those cars here that wouldn't be such a great business. In the other hand, bringing classic cars to Peru from junkyards in the US would be a nice business. Old muscle cars here are well sought after and even for a rusty one people are willing to pay some money. Of course nothing too rusty if you know what I mean. I'd love to restore and customize cars for a living, that would be a nice life and I might do it.

Guess I'll try that carbon fiber vinyl to see how it looks.
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 08:34 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2013
Vehicle: '95 E320 Wagon,'71 250C(For Sale!)
Carbon fiber vinyl on a W114? Well, it is your car to do as you wish. A customized vintage car will not be a classic anymore IMO. Personally the leather idea was better. Note that automotive leather is different than leather for handbags and whatnot. A Google search on this subject matter will get you to the information you need.
Kaelor likes this.
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 09:02 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2013
Vehicle: '95 E320 Wagon,'71 250C(For Sale!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
Recovering the dash with it installed on the car will be quite a challenge. I'm considering repairing a Heckflosse dash using a similar technique to that used by this BMW guy:

DIY Cracked Dashboard Repair [Pic Heavy]
Zeit,

Noooo!!! The trunk liner spray trick to restore a dashboard is horrendous looking. Why not recover with a decent faux leather vinyl with a nice french border? The Heckflosse dash is straight forward enough to stretch and lay new vinyl on it. I would fix the cracks as instructed in your link and get the surface as smooth as possible then glue vinyl over the top. Use a german vinyl such as:

(New) Black German Vinyl by the Yard - 1965-71 | Aase Sales Porsche Parts Center
Kaelor likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in