BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2015
Vehicle: 1970 W115 200/8
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzi View Post
Attachment 1457721
^^ I need to take a few minutes to properly install what's left of the back seat.

Attachment 1457729
^^^ well, this thing sure as hell doesn't have just 12,000 miles on it!

Attachment 1457737
^^ forgot. There's only one ignition key out of the three I got. So I must assume the cylinder has been changed. The gear indicator doesn't work either.

Attachment 1457745
^^ None of my other cars continued to read temps after the car was off. Is this how the w108 works? Or is there something wrong here?
Hahaha that car must burning with anger by the way it was treated maybe that's why it still read the temp .
It looks like you have some big work to do, that rust on the trunk always happens mine has it too and to a much higher degree. I decided to sand the rust out and fill it with fiber glass bondo and fiber glass cloth instead of welding it since it's cheaper. At least as a momentary solution.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 140 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
w108,107 Parts Hoarder

Date registered: Jun 2010
Vehicle: 4Keep:450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500seAMG 2sell:500sl92 380se83 300se86 350sl4sp 75slc MorInSig
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaelor View Post
Fonzi, you seem to have the common case of plain desire to have something and I don't blame you, those cars are beautiful. But maybe you should really dedicate yourself to a car and fully restore it, you might find it really rewarding at the end. Is like you are creating something new, that's why I'm dedicating myself to one car only to completely restore it. That and I don't have the money to buy other cars lol but I've had the urge to do so. There's a 450 SLC left to die and I'm guessing for several years now, I see it everytime I pass through an avenue close to my girlfriend's workplace. It makes me sad to see it like that all rusted and looks like someone tried to get in cuz the handle is all bended. Also the exhaust system has dropped to the floor, it's that bad. I managed to get the name of the person who owns that car from the registry system here in Peru but first I need to restore mine. That 350 SLC would look so good with me

I hear you. I understand your argument.

Personally, I think I have already done that once, with my 1973 450sl, my first Mercedes Benz. See here:
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r-c1...topics/1564170

I have no plans to EVER sell my 280sl 5-speed or my 5.0 SLC convertible. Those will be long long term restorations and cars I continue to drive and enjoy.

I realize that I will probably always have the urge to pickup a good deal when it comes along, and that's one thing that allows me to run this hobby at a near $0 cost. I seem to always be able to sell stuff for more when I "buy right". You can't always pick the time that the deals come along and hit you over the head.

I will take this w108, and probably swap the aluminum wheels with plain steelies, and also maybe take the Becker radio and stuff the hole with a cheap aftermarket one from one of the parts cars I've had. Then of course I will try to make the car run well and perhaps sell it as a cool looming driver. Fixing little things that the previous owner didn't have the gumption to do will help a lot:
- passenger window
- sunroof
- put the interior back in it
- make sure it runs on all 8 cylinders, and maybe replace the timing chain.
- stop/fix that trans leak wherever it is.

That's all stuff that's pretty easy for people who know how a MB was put together, and have "been around the block" as I believe I have. Of course it helps to be able-bodied, have a lift, and have a garage full of used car parts to help along the way. When you have to go to the dealer to buy a nut or bolt, things take a LOT longer than if you have a pile of metric nuts and bolts from previous parts cars.

I have decided to get rid of the 280slc 4-speed stick shift at all costs, and I'm going to pull off all the valuable parts and swap in any lesser quality parts I have around the garage. It will be a complete car, but possibly missing a few bits I'll be able to use to improve my other cars or sell for a profit:
- SLC seat belt guides
- bumpers, swap in lesser quality euro bumpers I have in the garage.
- put back in US headlights
- remove headlight wiper setup, etc.
Whoever buys that car would be buying it for the 80,000 mile drive train and stick transmission anyway.

Then when I probably sell off the w108, I will probably be left with the w114 and two convertibles. That's fine by me.

So there is a plan. I am the kind of guy that likes getting max bang for the buck with initial repairs, and I hate when you get to the point with a car where you are fixing minuscule issues, and breaking other things by using the car. I have three kids that bump my cars with bikes and step on every piece of plastic they can. They break our new cars. "One step forward, two steps back" is where I got with the black 1973 450sl. It took a long time to get the final work done. I was at the point where I was more concerned with the presentation. To me, it's more fun with the car is "nice", but not too nice. Both my 5.0 SLC Convertible and my 280sl 5-speed are there already.

My signature:
Click for list of my 34 MB since 2010. If, you want 70's-80's Mercedes tuner wheels, let me know.
post #43 of 140 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
w108,107 Parts Hoarder

Vehicle: 4Keep:450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500seAMG 2sell:500sl92 380se83 300se86 350sl4sp 75slc MorInSig
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Hahaha that car must burning with anger by the way it was treated maybe that's why it still read the temp .

It looks like you have some big work to do, that rust on the trunk always happens mine has it too and to a much higher degree. I decided to sand the rust out and fill it with fiber glass bondo and fiber glass cloth instead of welding it since it's cheaper. At least as a momentary solution.

Haha!

Regarding the rust holes. They look too easy to fix with welding in new metal. So I'm pretty sure that's what I will do. I've got the equipment. So I might as well use it.

I'm sad for you to hear your rust was worse, but glad to hear that mine is better than one that's getting restored.

What do people do about the door sills? I was talking to Ramon in Bethlehem today and he seems to think that there is often vinyl or leather on the sills. Is that the fix? Or is that original in some cases?

My signature:
Click for list of my 34 MB since 2010. If, you want 70's-80's Mercedes tuner wheels, let me know.

post #44 of 140 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 10:26 AM
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
Haha!

Regarding the rust holes. They look too easy to fix with welding in new metal. So I'm pretty sure that's what I will do. I've got the equipment. So I might as well use it.

I'm sad for you to hear your rust was worse, but glad to hear that mine is better than one that's getting restored.

What do people do about the door sills? I was talking to Ramon in Bethlehem today and he seems to think that there is often vinyl or leather on the sills. Is that the fix? Or is that original in some cases?
Well the car didn't cost me a cent so I might as well restore it properly but step by step . There is too much moisture here so everything rusts easily, I'm gonna use Rustoleum paint since I've read some good things about it.

I want a welder too but I'm paying for my studies so for now I'll get by with fiberglass.

About the door sills, they came in vinyl or leather from factory, mine is vinyl. You can reupholster them, taking those parts out and putting new vinyl or leather there. I will do that but with the cracked dash. I really like the wood in your car but I'm guessing it adds a lot of weight. Well, not a big problem for a luxury cruiser like that one
post #45 of 140 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
w108,107 Parts Hoarder

Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Well the car didn't cost me a cent so I might as well restore it properly but step by step . There is too much moisture here so everything rusts easily, I'm gonna use Rustoleum paint since I've read some good things about it.

I want a welder too but I'm paying for my studies so for now I'll get by with fiberglass.

About the door sills, they came in vinyl or leather from factory, mine is vinyl. You can reupholster them, taking those parts out and putting new vinyl or leather there. I will do that but with the cracked dash. I really like the wood in your car but I'm guessing it adds a lot of weight. Well, not a big problem for a luxury cruiser like that one

I'm going to call mine "free" too, but only after taking the aluminum steelies and Becker radio from it. :-)

POR-15 or Miracle Paint is much better at preventing rust that Rust Oleum.

Vinyl over the door caps/sills does sound pretty easy. It might honestly be difficult to walk away from the project if I can fix the trans leak and make the interior look decent. I don't think I would sink heavy money into a 4.5 w108 when I believe I could get my hands on a running 6.3 for under $25,000.

I think my "cars to restore" have to be the pinnacle of desirability for the model to feel like a full restoration is justifiable. No automatic 280s, 280se, 280se 3.5 or 280se 4.5 would ever fit that criteria for me. Only a 6.3, or maybe, just maybe, a stick shift w108.

My signature:
post #46 of 140 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
w108,107 Parts Hoarder

Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Do all w108 4.5 have what look like tri-y pipes on passenger side and single downpipes on driver side? My 4.5 SL had single downpipes on both sides. My 5.0 SLC has dual down pipe tri-y pipes on both sides. Sight unseen w108 purchase-imageuploadedbyautoguide1432846466.341593.jpg
Sight unseen w108 purchase-imageuploadedbyautoguide1432846481.440551.jpg

Trans pan looks clean and recently cleaned.
Sight unseen w108 purchase-imageuploadedbyautoguide1432846496.323913.jpg

Steering components look like they don't have many miles on them.
Sight unseen w108 purchase-imageuploadedbyautoguide1432846517.525078.jpg

My signature:
post #47 of 140 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 02:42 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2010
Vehicle: 1972 280SEL daily driver. 904 Dark Blue with cognac interior. euro 4.5 engine
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Yes. Tri-y on right and single on left. The w108 came with vinyl on the sills. I've had trouble sourcing new vinyl pads. My trans leak was the front seal. I dropped the trans and paid an old timer trans shop about $100 to replace the seal and input shaft bushing.
post #48 of 140 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 02:43 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jul 2004
Vehicle: 1971 280SE 3.5 Coupe
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I have never heard why there is a Try-y on one side and a log on the other.

Tony
280SE 3.5 Coupe
Stick shift
3.27 Axle
5.6 Iron block build in progress
post #49 of 140 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
w108,107 Parts Hoarder

Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Well, after running it for a little bit, the trans fluid burning seems to have gone away. The oil burning out the exhaust seems to be the big problem right now. I need to dump in some Lucas, and see if anything subsides with some more running. I honestly don't know how many miles this thing has or any maintenance records. So it's a game of "check and see" to determine what, like the timing chain will need service.

My signature:
post #50 of 140 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 04:31 PM
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
I'm going to call mine "free" too, but only after taking the aluminum steelies and Becker radio from it. :-)

POR-15 or Miracle Paint is much better at preventing rust that Rust Oleum.

Vinyl over the door caps/sills does sound pretty easy. It might honestly be difficult to walk away from the project if I can fix the trans leak and make the interior look decent. I don't think I would sink heavy money into a 4.5 w108 when I believe I could get my hands on a running 6.3 for under $25,000.

I think my "cars to restore" have to be the pinnacle of desirability for the model to feel like a full restoration is justifiable. No automatic 280s, 280se, 280se 3.5 or 280se 4.5 would ever fit that criteria for me. Only a 6.3, or maybe, just maybe, a stick shift w108.
Well you are quite right about the 6.3, that would be awesome! But since there are none here in my country I have to settle with mine for now. I might start searching for one around the globe when I make big bucks. That and a BMW 3.5 CSL or a 2002.

About POR-15 I actually saw a video about it comparing it with rustoleum and the later was a better at preventing rust. Dont know about miracle paint but seems quite good, too bad is too expensive for me to get it shipped all the way here. I guess I'll stick with rustoleum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.