BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Aug 2009
Vehicle: W107 W113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
You are corect on the thermostat question, nice research. If this car is not a USA model the pump won't have a shut off solenoid for deceleration shut off so it is a start enrichment unit and is triggered by a thermal time switch in the head.
Great - but the thermal time switch is just for the CSV, correct?

As a test, can I simply disconnect and lift the WRD upwards from the pump (so the plunger does not push into the pump)?

R107
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 06:51 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2012
Vehicle: 1968 250S, 1991 300se, 1998 SL500, 1977 450SEL 6.9. Past MB's; 300SD, 300E, 300TE, 190E, ML420
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Garage
Assenmacher H4550 17MM Injection Line Wrench

right click on images and you can google for that image.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S320L1999 View Post
Do you know where I can find this tool?
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 06:55 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Extremist

(Thread Starter)
Here is a good explanation how to test the injectors:

R107
post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 07:28 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Jan 2009
Yes the time switch is for cold start only but you can use one connection to run the starter to do valve adjustment. Yes the wrench works real well, i have two or three of them and I also have the earlier style that was square and the screwdriver style for doing early 300 engines. i guess I also have several sets of diesel wrenches and I'm sure my old injector tester is still on a bench somewhere in the garage. I used to make my own brew to do injectors using a mixture of stoddards cleaning solvent and marvel mystery oil, worked real well. The wrench was made by Hazet and likely still is but there was an earlier manufacture as well.
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 07:45 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2012
Vehicle: 1968 250S, 1991 300se, 1998 SL500, 1977 450SEL 6.9. Past MB's; 300SD, 300E, 300TE, 190E, ML420
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Garage
BillA, since the subject of injectors came up in this thread, can you answer this qustion? My 1991 300SE has 230K on it. would cleaning or replacing my injectors be in order? car has a slightly rough idle, but runs like a champ. I replaced timing chain and head gasket 2 years ago. getting 17+ mpg.
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 08:07 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumb View Post
BillA, since the subject of injectors came up in this thread, can you answer this qustion? My 1991 300SE has 230K on it. would cleaning or replacing my injectors be in order? car has a slightly rough idle, but runs like a champ. I replaced timing chain and head gasket 2 years ago. getting 17+ mpg.
It sounds like you have enjoyed exceptional service from that old boy. That style of injector was more prone to develop issue with quality of spray pattern. It also accumulated a bit of carbon behind or on the back of the valves that was problematic more during cold running as it absorbed mixture until the carbon got hot. I might use a good fuel that uses an agent like Techron. That stuff did an amazing job at least back at that time. i imagine all the fuels use additives like it today. If you pull the injector you will have to replace the seals/ holders and you can inspect for carbon with a small long throat light so the valve can be seen. If the car only has a small rough idle and runs well etc a fuel additive and long drives should resolve any issue with an injector, remember the injector is only one piece of the fuel delivery system. If it aint broke don't fix it, just enjoy it.
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Extremist

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Yes the time switch is for cold start only but you can use one connection to run the starter to do valve adjustment. Yes the wrench works real well, i have two or three of them and I also have the earlier style that was square and the screwdriver style for doing early 300 engines. i guess I also have several sets of diesel wrenches and I'm sure my old injector tester is still on a bench somewhere in the garage. I used to make my own brew to do injectors using a mixture of stoddards cleaning solvent and marvel mystery oil, worked real well. The wrench was made by Hazet and likely still is but there was an earlier manufacture as well.
Great - I was thinking of using solvent or thinner.

Would you be interested in selling one of your Hazet 17mm wrenches?

R107
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 08:22 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Extremist

(Thread Starter)
Can't wait to get home and try

One thing I did notice - the car starts up just as fast with or without the CSV - but it is very hot in the garage so it could be that it isn't required.

Will remove the spark plugs to get a look inside.

As a preventative measure, I have disconnected the air filter, so I ensure to get full air flow going into the intake.

Did you see how those injectors were leaking and squirting on the video? I am afraid mine are doing the same - in fact my oil is looking a bit suspect, smells weird and I believe too thin.

R107
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Extremist

(Thread Starter)
Another question: Does the fuel pump run all the time when the "ignition" is on? or does it just prime for a few seconds and then goes off like the later style CIS Bosch K-Jetronics?

R107
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 08:34 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by S320L1999 View Post
Another question: Does the fuel pump run all the time when the "ignition" is on? or does it just prime for a few seconds and then goes off like the later style CIS Bosch K-Jetronics?
The fuel pump runs continuously, I have to be honest most all my tools have been used hard and often as I ran a dyno at a dealership doing performance tuning and running issues for 11 years so you might do well to buy one that still has square edges. I do still have three tool boxes full of god knows what. I've been thinking of making a sculpture out of old MB tools for the birds to poop on in the yard. If your injectors are as old as the car they can be a little worse for wear. Clean them and see what the outcome might be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in