post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2015
Vehicle: 1970 W115 200/8
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
ATE disc brakes W115 inspection and service info

Hi, I have a W115 200 with ATE disc brakes in both the front and rear and I was wondering if anyone can give me some info and tips on what to check for and how to service those brakes. I will remove them and paint them so I would love if anyone has any info on how to remove them trouble free.

I noticed that the seals seem to be cracked, what should I look for in that case?

Any tips will be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1314_800_600.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	1409929   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1313_800_600.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	1409937   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1311_800_600.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	1409945  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Anyone please? :/
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 03:58 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2010
Vehicle: 1972 280SEL daily driver. 904 Dark Blue with cognac interior. euro 4.5 engine
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
So because you are trying to do this all on a budget, I have a couple of questions. Do your cylinders leak? Are they frozen? Do they work? If they do not leak, are not frozen, and work, I would be tempted to drive out the two pins, replace the pads, bleed the brakes to remove old fluid, and drive it. It doesn't appear that the rotors have any grooves or lips so perhaps the pads are good too. How long has it been since the car was driven?
Kaelor likes this.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 04:09 PM
Premium Member

Date registered: Nov 2012
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Premium Member
post 3 is right on .use soft pads like ATE , textar , pagid .to bleed / replace the old brake fluid , just fill master with dot 3 or 4 fluid , open one bleeder at a time , pump pedal , this will expel old fluid , when clean fluid comes out close bleeder, dont push the pedal all way to the floor , put left foot under pedal to act as a stop , have someone to keep filling the reservoir , i would do this before replacing the pads , also when you push the pistons out , open the bleedr to let fluid out .use a piece of vacuum hose at bleeder so you dont make a mess .forget painting .
Kaelor likes this.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TZ_280SEL View Post
So because you are trying to do this all on a budget, I have a couple of questions. Do your cylinders leak? Are they frozen? Do they work? If they do not leak, are not frozen, and work, I would be tempted to drive out the two pins, replace the pads, bleed the brakes to remove old fluid, and drive it. It doesn't appear that the rotors have any grooves or lips so perhaps the pads are good too. How long has it been since the car was driven?
The car has been sitting there for no less than 3 years. When I moved the car the brakes seemed to work but I can't be completely sure because the car has no engine, I'm rebuilding it. I saw in youtube that those brakes acumulate rust when left like that when the piston seals go bad and that could lead to a frozen piston. It doesn't leak but I'm not sure if they are frozen but since you mentioned it I'm gonna test it. I just jack up the car and start moving the rotors right?

One thing I did know is that those seals are goners, I even took a chunk off of one when I was feeling the rubber. It came off easily. In that case, should I remove the calipers to do a complete inspection?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 08:45 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think what you have done is just right
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 09:44 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Jan 2009
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
not sure what the condition of the calipers is but they are pretty simple. We used to rebuild them many years back but you may well have issues with moisture/ rust in the system at it's age. Removing the pistons can be a rear chore as one is usually stuck and it takes air pressure to remove them..... potentially dangerous as a piston can fly out under pressure so with all that being said there is yet another situation to consider. The master cylinder hasn't seen any travel for a long time as well so there is likely some rust between the two rubber piston boots and a full depression may may well tear an existing boot. My thoughts are if your not REAL familiar with hydraulic brakes and their repair you might look for a source of rebuilt parts as almost everything that could be wrong likely is at the cars age. Include a complete set of rubber flex hoses as well then you will be able to stop the thing with that new engine. Arn't old cars swell......... Be SAFE
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2015, 12:48 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2012
Vehicle: 1972 220 D, 1974 450SL, 1995 E300D 2002 S430, 1976 300D
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Replace the brake lines. At this age they are rotten on the inside and will not allow full or proper brake action.

You are going to paint them. I know from your other posts, so remove the whole caliper, put it on a bench and do the whole job right. Get the proper tools, a vise to hold the parts and fresh pads. Measure the rotors for thickness. No use doing all the rebuild work and put them on worn rotors. The rotors are only good for 90k miles (150k km). Get the proper Mercedes rotors, and DO NOT have them turned. New rotors are less than the cost of turning them. Turning Mercedes rotors ruins them.
Kaelor likes this.

Clay

74 450SL - Froggy
'02 s320 - Victor
'76 300D - Voldemort
'95 E300D - Cleo
'72 220D - Gump
'87 300SDL - POS SDL

92 300SE - #1 boys ride
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2015, 06:59 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2010
Vehicle: 1972 280SEL daily driver. 904 Dark Blue with cognac interior. euro 4.5 engine
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
If you decide to go to the trouble of rebuilding them (I did not rebuild mine and have put about 30,000 miles on them after it sat for 12 years), then pull the front hubs while you are at it to inspect/repack wheel bearings and change the inner seal which is likely bad as well.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TZ_280SEL View Post
If you decide to go to the trouble of rebuilding them (I did not rebuild mine and have put about 30,000 miles on them after it sat for 12 years), then pull the front hubs while you are at it to inspect/repack wheel bearings and change the inner seal which is likely bad as well.
That's a good idea, I will inspect for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redghost View Post
Replace the brake lines. At this age they are rotten on the inside and will not allow full or proper brake action.

You are going to paint them. I know from your other posts, so remove the whole caliper, put it on a bench and do the whole job right. Get the proper tools, a vise to hold the parts and fresh pads. Measure the rotors for thickness. No use doing all the rebuild work and put them on worn rotors. The rotors are only good for 90k miles (150k km). Get the proper Mercedes rotors, and DO NOT have them turned. New rotors are less than the cost of turning them. Turning Mercedes rotors ruins them.
Rotors look good, not much worn. Luckily the people my uncle bought the car from didn't drive it as much and the pads have plenty material left as well but I will definately change the pads because the are old and I don't want to take any chances on those failing. And yes that was the way I wanted to paint my calipers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in