post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2015, 03:08 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Apr 2015
Vehicle: 1969 220d
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
om602 in a w114?

I apologize if this has been asked before, but after several weeks of research, engine searches, dead ends, ect. I feel it's time to ask people who know more than I do about the subject matter at hand. I recently traded my daily driver for what by all accounts appeared to be a good condition 1969 220d. Unfortunately the motor didn't make it out of town, much less back home. In light of the stock 220d's lackluster performance, I've been searching for a newer and better MB diesel engine to replace it. The original plan was to replace it with an om617 turbo motor, but locating one with reasonable mileage has been problematic. What I have been able to locate, however, are a '92 om602 and a '96 that could either be an om601 or om602.

From what I've read, either motor would satisfy power requirements. I mostly need help on fitment and wiring questions. To begin with, I've read that the w114 requires tunnel modification to allow an om602 to fit. I'd like to get a better idea of how much it would need, whether anything else needs to be modified along with it, ect. I'd also like any information on om601 fitment as I've not seen much discussion about it being used as a swap candidate.

In addition, I've not seen the exact requirements to run either engine posted anywhere yet. I'm under the impression that it requires an ECU for the injection pump, but not much else in the way of electronics. Any info that someone could provide for me would be greatly appreciated.

If there's a better route out there that I'm not seeing, I would be more that happy to listen to an opinion on it. My only real preferences would be diesel and something with the potential to be reliable after performance modifications. Or if anyone on here has a running om617 turbo motor they'd like to sell within ~2 hours of Morristown, TN shoot me a pm.

A big thanks to anyone that takes the time to read this post, I certainly appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2015, 05:57 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: May 2003
Vehicle: 2012 Focus SE
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Proceed to the Vintage section.

Felicita e un bicchiere di vino con un panino.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2015, 08:04 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Oct 2012
Vehicle: 1972 220 D, 1974 450SL, 1995 E300D 2002 S430, 1976 300D
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Purchase a rear ended W201 and park it next to the W115. Remove all the things under the hood and insert it into the 220D. You will want the ignition, all the wires and relays attached to the wires controlling the engine and hook the AC stuff from the 190 to under the dash. You should also think about updating the brakes. I am not sure ABS was on the early OM601. The OM602 from a W124 would have ABS and more electronics.

You may as well transplant the drive train as well.

74 450SL - Froggy
'02 s320 - Victor
'86 300SDL - Polei

Retired cars
'76 300D - Voldemort
'95 E300D - Cleo
'72 220D - Gump
'87 300SDL - POS SDL

92 300SE - #1 boys ride
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2015, 08:24 PM
Cruise Control
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon/'01 EV Weekender
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1419 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
The 602 would be a nice swap candidate for a lot of cars. You would want to install both the engine and trans, since the bellhousings on the newer MB engines are completely different than anything from the 114 era. The ECU is really only needed for the idle management, and even that can be bypassed if needed. The engine and trans mounts would need to be modified, as well as the forward section of the driveline. There's a good chance that the oil filter housing would interfere with the firewall, and there's no guarantee that the oil pan will fit over the subframe. In short, there are lots of unknowns...but I'd love for someone to investigate
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 03:12 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
(Thread Starter)
Hey, thanks for the replies. From what I've read here and elsewhere, it looks like I'll definitely try swapping in the 602. The biggest issue I've had so far is actually finding a donor car or a motor for sale in my area. Any tips on finding one would be greatly appreciated. I'd also appreciate it if someone could tell me what I should expect to pay.

On another note, my plans for the swap so far are just motor and trans plus a custom driveshaft to get everything mated up. The previous owner said something about the car being a(an?) euro market car as US models didn't come with four wheel disc brakes from the factory, so I'd like to keep the original rear end if that's the case. If I'm only able to find an engine, a friend of mine has what I believe to be a 722.3 trans that he doesn't need and would be willing to give me, so I should be covered there either way.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-25-2015, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
(Thread Starter)
Got one!

Exciting update guys, finally found a donor car. Gonna head out around five to go and pick it up. Only about two hours away from the house too. A bit north of budget once everything's said and done, but I'm excited to get started. Hopefully I'll keep my head long enough to remember to take pictures during the build =P Should I document the build in this thread, or start another and cherry-pick info once I'm done to update this one with?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-25-2015, 02:02 PM
Premium Member
Date registered: Nov 2012
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Premium Member
dont bother swapping engine , just get another car , it is a lot easier . a 80 to 83 240d would do also .
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: