Mercedes Adventures: The Search for the Cherry Diesel - Page 22 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #211 of 285 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 01:08 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2015
Vehicle: 74' 240D, 75' 300D
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzi View Post
At the rate you are pissing away money on parts cars, don't you think you should have a manual transmission too?
What's the matter Fonzi? I figured you'd like a little competition. Do not know what your definition of a parts car is but for me it's a car that is not worth fixing. The 240D I just happened to come across belongs on the showroom floor. A few minor things here and there doesn't make it a parts car. I plan on fixing all that is wrong with it and then some. Maybe next time I shouldn't include the price tag.

I do not care for the W108, my main objective was Mercedes diesels. If I wanted something just for looks I would have gotten me a '71 caddy Eldorado, maybe even a beat up Rolls Royce.

Call me Ben! Formally "Mercedes Lover"

Last edited by Shakedown Street; 07-15-2015 at 01:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 285 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 04:03 AM
w108,107 Parts Hoarder

Date registered: Jun 2010
Vehicle: 4Keep:450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500seAMG 2sell:500sl92 380se83 300se86 350sl4sp 75slc MorInSig
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1625 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercedes Lover View Post
What's the matter Fonzi? I figured you'd like a little competition. Do not know what your definition of a parts car is but for me it's a car that is not worth fixing. The 240D I just happened to come across belongs on the showroom floor. A few minor things here and there doesn't make it a parts car. I plan on fixing all that is wrong with it and then some. Maybe next time I shouldn't include the price tag.

I do not care for the W108, my main objective was Mercedes diesels. If I wanted something just for looks I would have gotten me a '71 caddy Eldorado, maybe even a beat up Rolls Royce.

Sorry I forgot the smiley face. I was messing around. I thought I read that you had initially intended it as a parts car.

It does look nice.

My signature:
Click for list of my 32 MB since 2010. If, you want 70's-80's Mercedes tuner wheels, let me know.
post #213 of 285 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzi View Post
Sorry I forgot the smiley face. I was messing around. I thought I read that you had initially intended it as a parts car.

It does look nice.
Oh man, I thought you were really going off on me there for getting another car. I guess at 3am it made sense. Cheers Fonzi Cheers!

Last edited by Shakedown Street; 07-15-2015 at 12:24 PM.
post #214 of 285 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 12:40 PM
w108,107 Parts Hoarder

Vehicle: 4Keep:450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500seAMG 2sell:500sl92 380se83 300se86 350sl4sp 75slc MorInSig
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
Oh my god I thought you were just going off on me for getting another car. I guess at 3am it made sense. Cheers Fonzi Cheers!

Here's a rundown of the vehicles I've purchased in the last five years and their purchase prices:
1) $4700 1973 450sl (reconstructed title, but near #3 condition when done, and sold for $8500)
2) $8000 1978 450slc 5.0 conv, working on getting it to #3 condition, but it is very nice and fun. Drive it anywhere any time, except when it's raining as I'm still waiting to spend $2000 on the custom soft top. Keeping this forever.
3) $3250 1981 280slc 4-speed. Rusty car but unbelievably fun to drive and mechanically sound. Got small side damage and decided not to fix it. Took $3700 insurance money and sold car for $1800.
4) $500 1972 250 sedan. Had tons of fun making the car run right and sold for $750 to a guy that is really refurbishing it and making it a daily driver.
5) $600 1970 250c. Tried hard to get the carbs to make the car run right even though I bought it as a parts car. Never got it farther than running around the block and didn't think parting a w114 would be profitable. Sold for $800. Now it is someone's parts car.
6) $500 1972 250c single owner with no title and rodent damage. It was easy to get it running. Since it was a single owner car with rare options and no cracks in to he dash or rips in the leather, I was able to sell it with no title for $2000 even though it still needs brakes, alternator or wiring fixed, and windshield installed. I probably had a bit over $800 in the car. Just glad to get out of w114 altogether, and gave the guy who bought the sedan all my w114/115 parts.
7) $450 1972 350sl 4.5 parts car. Absolute part car due to the rust and horrible paint, but it was a running car. I stripped it to the bones and it brought me a near instant $1500, and still brings me money today as people are still buying leftover parts from it. I stripped it so far that I only got $42 at $0.07/lb in scrap.
8) $850 1979 280sl apparent rust bucket, turned out to have virtually no rot, just a lot of surface rust. Added spare parts I had and sold the body kit for $500. Then sold the car for $2200 with some decent euro bumpers on it. Since the bumpers are worth an easy $800, this wasn't the killing it sounds like, but a good deal on both sides. The car was purchased as a likely parts car but it had too much damn life left it in.
9) $820 1973 450sl vandalized car. Made it run again and added some spare parts I had. Didn't add too much money to this, but maybe a real expense of an additional $200 in parts. Sold it for about $3150.
10) $4200 1985 280sl 5-speed. These are worth near $15,000 in nice condition and there's no reason I can't get this one there. It's on its way and I always wanted a good MPG 107. This acquisition forced me to unload the 280slc stick that had only 4 speeds and couldn't be justified just because I could fit my whole family in it. The fact is that when I do a lot of miles, my family of five is not in the car. I dumped the 1972 250c at the same time, cutting my collection down to just two cars. It was wonderful.
11) $750 1973 280se 4.5. Having had three of these engines, one in parts in my garage, I was very confident that any issues that this car has I can fix economically. I always loved the w108 style.
12) $300 1974 240d 4-speed parts car. I honestly wish I hadn't done this. I know better than to dabble in w114/115, but I brought the guy who bought the 1971 250 sedan with me, and he saw diamonds in that car. I went out there for a w108 car, but decided to pull the few parts I want from it and drag the w115 home instead. I regret the decision. Now I'm trying to unload these parts I never wanted for myself or will ever use. I am supposedly getting $150 from my buddy Sam, but still have my garage full of parts I don't want. Damn, I knew better than to part out a w114/115 before. I didn't follow my own advice.

I learned the hard way that there's no money to be made in w114/115 cars. They cost just as much to fix up as higher end cars, but just don't ever command higher prices even when in mint condition. I also considered the diesels, but the MPG of the diesels is not so incredible that it even offsets the higher cost of diesel fuel. It looks like the first MB model that provided impressive MPG was the w201 190d 5-speed manual. I considered some, but just felt like it looks too much like a new car to not just buy a new car, like one of the newer Bluetec cars that can get some serious MPG and also provide more modern reliability and creature comforts. So, I just couldn't ever justify becoming a diesel head. I drove my 1985 280sl like it was a sports car over the past few days over about 800 miles. I averaged 21.5 MPG doing 80 MPH most of the way, top up with AC on most of the way.

Sorry for the long message, but I thought the experience might provide you some insight into my good and bad decision car purchases.
Shakedown Street likes this.

My signature:
Click for list of my 32 MB since 2010. If, you want 70's-80's Mercedes tuner wheels, let me know.
post #215 of 285 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Love it Fonzi, you do it for the love of these Classic Mercedes! There is one thing I could use on your W115 you just took apart. Did you manage to save the antenna? The one on my new 240D has died. Hell I'll take the 240D along for the ride. I'd say it's not so much the mileage of the diesel engine I love it's the longevity. 2-300,000 miles without touching the engine is mind blowing to me.

post #216 of 285 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 03:34 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2003
Vehicle: 2012 Focus SE
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Love it Fonzi, you do it for the love of these Classic Mercedes!
Sounds like out of his 12 cars only 2 were remotely roadworthy. Some love...Это старьевщик, а не энтузиаст.

Felicita e un bicchiere di vino con un panino.
post #217 of 285 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 05:36 PM
w108,107 Parts Hoarder

Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Mercedes Adventures: The Search for the Cherry Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboyike View Post
Sounds like out of his 12 cars only 2 were remotely roadworthy. Some love...Это старьевщик, а не энтузиаст.

Thank you. Yes, I think that only three were ready for the road when I bought them. I take pride in having made several unroadworthy cars roadworthy.

I resent the Russian from the guy who's profile says he drives a 2012 Ford Focus.

I do call myself an enthusiast on the quest for the ideal car, upgrading and making a few bucks along the way, mostly on the wheels I have refurbished and sold. I felt guilty making a buck early on, but realized that I am providing a service to other enthusiasts searching for parts.

I wanted the first r107 as a keeper needing brake work, and did not care that it was a salvage reconstruct because I planned to keep it forever and it was a beautiful car with 68,000 miles. Times changed when we had a third child and the roadster with only two seats in the back became something we could not all enjoy together anymore.

The second was to fit a fifth person (roadworthy at purchase time).

The third was the desire for a stock shift. It was very roadworthy at purchase time. I felt lucky to be able to drive it 7 hours home at the time of purchase with absolutely no issues.

The fourth was for a more classic car, and something to maybe learn to weld on. I sold it to an enthusiast that owns seven w114, and it is currently his favorite w114. NOT roadworthy.

The fifth and sixth were planned as parts cars for the fourth. I think one ultimately became a parts car as it should, but the other is in the process of being restored by its new owner. NOT roadworthy at time of purchase.

The seventh was an irresistible parts car with tons of great parts to help find my addiction. (Parted out, never even attempted to do anything more than start it and shift through the gears with the wheels in the air.

The eighth was pure addiction. I thought it would be a parts car, but the new owner absolutely loves it and knows it is just a great driver, nothing to restore. He is a fellow enthusiast with two r107. Apples from potential lemons. (Never tried to inspect it, but it ran very well.). I did not anticipate this car being roadworthy, but after fixing one hose clamp and replacing a high beam, it was roadworthy,

The ninth was also planned as a parts car, but it was too damn easy to put on the road and pass inspection. I sold it whole too. It drove well, but had cosmetic issues. Not roadworthy only running on 2 of 8 cylinders when I bought it. It was surprisingly easy to make it run not only right, but very well.

The tenth was a dream car at a dream price. The guy simply asked too little for the car in my opinion. I bought it less than 24 hours after he listed it. Hop in and drive. Very roadworthy. Passed inspection with zero issues fist time through.

The 11th was a car I had always wanted to own, and a project that the guy verbally asked only $1500 for the first time we talked. He had no asking price and a terrible description description and no pictures of the vehicle. A few weeks after we spoke, he sent me a note asking if I wanted it for $750. I jumped on it. It is nearly rust free California car. It was just that someone had already pulled out the interior for recovering. This one needed trans fluid and oil, but now runs, but smokes. Due to the smoking exhaust, it will not pass inspection. I am hoping it is just valve stem seals and not a full rebuild that is required.

The 12th was supposed to be a parts car for the 11th, but I made a bad decision. This is pure "junk dealing", as you may say my seventh was too.

Sorry, but I love having fun doing this stuff. I think everyone who has bought anything from me has been very happy. So I am happy too. Junk dealing is a great way to find a addiction to old cars.

I just say, w114/115 junk is NOT easy to make money on.

My signature:
post #218 of 285 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 06:34 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Such verbosity...
post #219 of 285 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 07:44 PM
w108,107 Parts Hoarder

Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboyike View Post
Such verbosity...

Your criticisms beg for it, and I try to explain how I obtained some experience with "parts cars" over the past five years. Are you not pleased with what you get?

Please try to keep your posts constructive. I will try to be more concise, but as I mention, your posts beg for it.

My signature:
post #220 of 285 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 07:27 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Wasn't criticism, was a statement of fact, which your verbosity has done nothing to change. My post was constructive at the very least in that hopefully it will prevent Ben from heading down your path.

Felicita e un bicchiere di vino con un panino.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in