Mercedes Adventures: The Search for the Cherry Diesel - Page 18 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #171 of 285 (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2015
Vehicle: 74' 240D, 75' 300D
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
As far as the power steering pump goes the filter probably hasn't been changed for years! I'll go ahead and flush it, crossing my fingers it hasn't started leaking. Anyone know what brand power steering fluid is okay to use on my model? Generic?

1975 Mercedes-Benz 300D Base Sedan - Filters & Belts - Page 2

Call me Ben! Formally "Mercedes Lover"

Last edited by Shakedown Street; 06-11-2015 at 12:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #172 of 285 (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 12:05 PM
Cruise Control

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1426 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I don't remember seeing that "pedal" on my 115 cars, but it might just be a "dead pedal", i.e. a rest for your left foot. The little round mushroom button above it is the windshield washer pump. The rubber bellows on these are mostly perforated by now, hence the leaking
Shakedown Street likes this.
post #173 of 285 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 10:39 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2010
Vehicle: 1982 300D, 1997 SL320 Anniversary Model
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here's my 82 300d, original paint survivor car, second owner since 1989....... only 106 K on the speedo. Last pic is it's little brother hiding in the dark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Benz  pics 001.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	1481329   Click image for larger version

Name:	Benz  pics 002.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	1481337   Click image for larger version

Name:	Benz  pics 005.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	1481345   Click image for larger version

Name:	Benz  pics 006.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	1481353   Click image for larger version

Name:	Benz  pics 008.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	1481361  

post #174 of 285 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Okay what would you suggest guys? I branch off my questions on to new threads or keep it all on here. I figure if someone is having the same problems on their W115 they'll be able to search out each question when searching for threads vs keeping it all on here getting lost in a tangled mess. What do you think?

Last edited by Shakedown Street; 06-12-2015 at 12:44 PM.
post #175 of 285 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 02:05 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2015
Vehicle: 1970 W115 200/8
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercedes Lover View Post
Okay what would you suggest guys? I branch off my questions on to new threads or keep it all on here. I figure if someone is having the same problems on their W115 they'll be able to search out each question when searching for threads vs keeping it all on here getting lost in a tangled mess. What do you think?
Definitely threads for each, if they are not related or part of the same system like brakes, suspension, painting, etc. That's what I do at least hehe
post #176 of 285 (permalink) Old 06-13-2015, 02:12 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2012
Vehicle: 1972 220 D, 1974 450SL, 1995 E300D 2002 S430, 1976 300D
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
There are no NEW ignitions. No longer made or available anywhere in the world. Best to have a reputable locksmith clean and rebuild your original set.

I have a nice glovebox door as well as head liner I can offer you. I have some working lock parts for this model. I am tearing apart a 300D to make it a racing vehicle.

The leaking "frog" washer fluid thing is simple to resolve. Use a 10mm socket to remove it from the firewall. Empty it of debris and watery stuff. Use some ShoeGoo to patch the crack in the rubber bulb. The frogs are NLA, so you need to fix it or find a good one on flea bay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercedes Lover View Post
Okay here are the not so pretty close ups of the problems on this car.

Body:

Yep that's a cracked windshield. My insurance will cover that.

Golf ball sized dent towards left side of the trunk

The left parking light is blown and right fog light is blown. Left fog light is cracked. Both reverse lights are blown.

Interior:

As far as the dashboard and wood panel goes there is some peeling on the wood panel and a tiny crack in the left corner of the dashboard. Some cracks on the front passenger side door.

Correct me if I'm wrong but is that a clutch? It almost seems this automatic car is a conversion which I can't understand why anyone would do that. The bigger problem though is the pedal above the "clutch" which I believe is to spray windshield wiper fluid out of the nozzles. When I try it windshield wiper fluid leaks out of the pedal and on to the floor. Of coarse could be totally wrong for what it's supposed to do.

Left window lock is stuck in the up position making the left passenger window switch inoperable. Right window lock is stuck in the down position so the right passenger window switch still works.

Managed to pull the seat covers off although I am having a difficult time finding a way to remove the head rests. Drivers seat has a small tear, elbow rest has large tear, passenger seat has large tear.

Some other minor problems are the temperature controls are very hard to move. Want to get a new ignition. 40 Years going of putting the key in and out is bound to cause a lot of wear. The key I was given is pretty worn too. Already had copies made. Now, not sure if this is normal or if it's a problem with the key. If I stick the key in all the way it locks up. I have to slightly pull the key out a little to be able to start the car. It get's stuck a lot. Again definitely should get a new ignition.

Mechanical Problems:

As of right now the car needs some mechanical work before it can go out on the road. These problems I was not informed of.

The car has a really difficult time turning and makes a screeching sound. The power steering belts are tight as can be so that's not the problem. I suspect it is the power steering pump that needs fixing.

Starting the car takes awhile, let's hope its just in need of a new battery.

The car is leaking something. It's either the engine oil pan or transmission oil pan

As you can see this car has it's fair share of problems. Well I'll be picking through the junkyard for seats, a better ignition. Some of the parts I can definitely find online. The title and bill of sale is on it's way through the mail. I got what I was looking for though. A W115 body that wasn't completely rusted out for under $3k. It sure isn't close a cherry but when I'm done with it it'll be close.
Shakedown Street likes this.

Clay

74 450SL - Froggy
'02 s320 - Victor
'76 300D - Voldemort
'95 E300D - Cleo
'72 220D - Gump
'87 300SDL - POS SDL

92 300SE - #1 boys ride
post #177 of 285 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 02:12 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redghost View Post
There are no NEW ignitions. No longer made or available anywhere in the world. Best to have a reputable locksmith clean and rebuild your original set.

I have a nice glovebox door as well as head liner I can offer you. I have some working lock parts for this model. I am tearing apart a 300D to make it a racing vehicle.

The leaking "frog" washer fluid thing is simple to resolve. Use a 10mm socket to remove it from the firewall. Empty it of debris and watery stuff. Use some ShoeGoo to patch the crack in the rubber bulb. The frogs are NLA, so you need to fix it or find a good one on flea bay.
300D Race Car, That ought to be something! Yeah would love the glovebox door and head liner. PM me some pics and what lock parts you have.

Last edited by Shakedown Street; 06-14-2015 at 02:53 AM.
post #178 of 285 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 02:32 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
You release the headrests by pushing a button at the top of the seat back. The button can be hard to locate, but just look/feel for a small half inch round depression in the seat back below one of the metal posts. You've got your work cut out for you, but it looks redeemable
man o man, been looking for a couple days, do you see it? I'm tempted to cut these dirty old seat covers off.

Last edited by Shakedown Street; 06-14-2015 at 02:57 AM.
post #179 of 285 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 06:28 AM
w108,107 Parts Hoarder

Date registered: Jun 2010
Vehicle: 4Keep:450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500seAMG 2sell:500sl92 380se83 300se86 350sl4sp 75slc MorInSig
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1622 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
You are looking in the wrong spot. The flat back of the seat. Feel around. You should feel either a bump, or possibly just a hole in the back panel under the vinyl. I think it is on the drivers side post but could be wrong. It might be the passenger side. I would say it's about 8 inches down from the top of the seat.

My signature:
Click for list of my 32 MB since 2010. If, you want 70's-80's Mercedes tuner wheels, let me know.
post #180 of 285 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 10:50 AM
Cruise Control

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1426 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Use your hand to follow the line of those chromed metal posts down until you feel a hole behind the vinyl. Push on the hidden button, while pulling up on the headrest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in