post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-10-2015, 01:08 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Feb 2015
Vehicle: 74' 240D, 75' 300D
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Mating two Mercedes Together

I've been reading the way to get the best bang for you buck is to mate two Mercedes together. Find a rusty old Mercedes with a solid engine then a near perfect body Mercedes with a dead engine. You then do an engine swap and you have a beautiful Mercedes with a solid engine. Not to mention you have a parts car now that can go towards maintaining your Mercedes for years to come. How difficult is it to do an engine swap yourself. If too difficult what do mechanics usually charge for doing this. I think it's a great idea that will save you money in the long run.

Call me Ben! Formally "Mercedes Lover"

Last edited by Shakedown Street; 03-10-2015 at 01:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-10-2015, 04:39 AM
w108,107 Parts Hoarder
Date registered: Jun 2010
Vehicle: slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500sl92 GONE:280sl79 4xW114/5 3x450sl72-3 280slc4sp81 280s69 73,81SLCs
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1574 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Could be a way to save some money, but now you need to find not just one, but two cars. And do you think that a car with a bad engine (due to lack of proper maintenance) is going to have everything else in tip-top shape?

I would start with one decent one. If you want to buy a runner for under a grand or something, there not too much to lose. While learning that one you can continue to search for a second one.

My signature:
My dream car is a classic sporty five speed (stick+overdrive) convertible that seats five. If, you want 70's-80's Mercedes tuner wheels, let me know.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-10-2015, 05:52 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Oct 2012
Vehicle: 1968 250S, 1991 300se, 1998 SL500, 2x 1977 450SEL 6.9. Past MB's; 300SD, 300E, 300TE, 190E, ML420
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Finding 2 cars that have opposite problems will be challenging. Plenty of cars out there with bad transmissions or head gaskets for example, but hard to get owners to part with them for low enough to even break even. They still think they are worth a lot just because they put new tires on before the meltdown.

A fonzi points out, usually, but not always, a "mechanics special" usually has multitude of problems. So you could start with 2 dogs and get one painted pig out of the deal.

Second is your ability to do major transplants. The are certainly many out there capable and have to tools to do so. Anyone can learn if motivated. Where do you fit in this realm? Paying a mechanic will price you way out of this option. You will find that most owners of older MB's do their own work, otherwise owning them is not cost effective at all. This is even true of my 300SE and SL500.

Unless you find the perfect pair, this is not a good strategy. I would look for a great car that has one manageable issue. I have been stalking a 190E that is in excellent condition except for a bad head gasket. Seller has come down $4-500 since listing but is still not low enough because he put new tires on it. Owners dont like admitting their car is worth $700 when blue book is $1700 with a $1000 shop repair bill required. Yes, I could fix for less than 4-500, but I need to recoup some labour to make sense to me.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-10-2015, 09:24 AM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Feb 2011
Vehicle: 1973 220D
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Originally Posted by rumb View Post
Owners dont like admitting their car is worth $700 when blue book is $1700 with a $1000 shop repair bill required. Yes, I could fix for less than 4-500, but I need to recoup some labour to make sense to me.

So true - I had seen this several times while looking for a "new" older MB - my favorite was a fellow who had a late '90's 300 that had moderate body damage. He said the insurance had totaled it and he was sell it with a salvage title. I pointed out that he hadn't fixed it he said - oh you can get fixed much cheaper then they could and it runs great... Needless to say I did not buy it.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: