post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2015
Vehicle: 74' 240D, 75' 300D
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Found this 1984 300d?

Okay this is the second to last car I'll be making a post about that I've found in my area. It's an automatic 1984 300D. Not sure if the problems it has are an easy inexpensive fix or not. Here's the sellers description with pictures.

"This car is in good condition. It has been very reliable commuter. Not driven in the snow.

Excellent Mechanical condition, most of the common issues with these cars has been addressed within the last few years. Engine is strong and the automatic shifts great!

Some history: I bought it from a gentleman in Virginia in February 2013. He had the car repainted in 2007 (Mercedes Mango Green) it was his daily driver for four years before sitting a year when I bought it. I spent a few weeks getting it into driving condition for my commuting car. At that time I installed new shocks, all filters & fluids, rear axle shaft, primer pump, window switches, neutral safety switch, all new fuses, all dry rotted vacuum lines. A few months later I rebuilt the injectors with new monarch nozzles and balance tested.

Within the last year I have done the following: replaced the transmission modulator, all v belts, new cruise control amp, new temperature control modulator for climate control, glow plug, new exhaust, aux water pump, oil pan gasket, repaired the vacuum lock system working. Oil changed at 3,000 miles, replaced pre-fuel filter at each oil change, main fuel filter 2x a year.

There are a few small areas where the paint is beginning to bubble on the lower fenders. Otherwise a solid car, jacking points solid, rockers solid.

There are a few odds and ends I did not get to: The two rear Window Switches don't work (motors tested good), power antenna is inoperable (I'll include a replacement), center console lights do not illuminate, right rear door vacuum lock actuator is in need of replacement. Other than these few thing the car is very sound. AC worked this summer but needs a re-charge I found a slow leak that will be fixed with an O-ring, seal kit included with sale.

Condition Body: Good condition overall, common paint nicks and some small scratches. Interior: Drivers seat has a small patch of the leather missing, has not gotten worse since I have owned her. The center console wood trim has the varnish finish missing in a few areas near the window switches (hard to make out in the photo) and some random cracking, common on these cars (A replacement piece can be found on ebay for around $50)

The car comes with a newer Pioneer Bluetooth CD player and (2) Infinity Rear Speakers with nice sound quality. The original Becker Radio is included.

Included in the sale (2) additional wheels & Snow tires. 4 Oil Filters, drive shaft joints, AC System Seal Kit (found a small leak behind glovebox), Guide Rod Bushing, Replacement power antenna.

Title in Hand.

Sold As-Is.

The center console wood trim has the varnish finish missing in a few areas near the window switches (hard to make out in the photo) and some random cracking, common on these cars (A replacement piece can be found on ebay for around $50) I have a photo but ebay will not allow me to upload it.

Call me Ben! Formally "Mercedes Lover"

Last edited by Shakedown Street; 03-08-2015 at 07:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 08:48 PM
w108,107 Parts Hoarder

Date registered: Jun 2010
Vehicle: 4Keep:450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500seAMG 2sell:500sl92 380se83 300se86 350sl4sp 75slc MorInSig
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1626 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
$3500 ? 191,000 miles?

I hate the rust bubbles and the hole in the seat. But I don't really know these cars.

My signature:
Click for list of my 32 MB since 2010. If, you want 70's-80's Mercedes tuner wheels, let me know.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 09:11 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Oct 2013
Vehicle: 07 E350, 80 240D 4 speed, 90 300SE, 87 260E, 87 190E 2.3-16 5 speed.
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 587 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
You did not say if you have driven the car yet.

I had an '85 300D that I sold three years ago because I was never happy with the way it shifted. Often too harsh, and neither me nor my mechanic was able to resolve it.

So drive the car with extensive slow acceleration and hard acceleration. See if the transmission is consistent.

I also wonder why the color change from gold to green. I would take a pick and push on rocker panel and wheel house areas. With only a few hours work it is pretty easy to patch, paint, and hide rust damaged areas. I have no idea if that is the case with this car.

If the rust is minor and/or properly repaired, and you are confident the 191K miles is accurate, I would expect a seller to have an asking price between 3 and 4 K in my area.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 10:09 PM
w108,107 Parts Hoarder

Vehicle: 4Keep:450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500seAMG 2sell:500sl92 380se83 300se86 350sl4sp 75slc MorInSig
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Just curious. Ever consider a w126?

Mercedes Benz 300 SDL Turbo 2850

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/4922138018.html

My signature:
Click for list of my 32 MB since 2010. If, you want 70's-80's Mercedes tuner wheels, let me know.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks! Is the vacuum actuator in the right rear door an easy fix? What about the leaky AC?

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 02:02 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzi View Post
Just curious. Ever consider a w126?

Mercedes Benz 300 SDL Turbo 2850

Mercedes Benz 300 SDL Turbo
Oh yeah. Never liked the look of those ones with the two colors, lack of sleek edges.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2016, 07:21 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Aug 2007
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Does anybody know if a member bought this car? It was my daily for a good long time, and in addition to what was mentioned in the ad, I replaced the A/C compressor, motor mounts, rear subframe bushings, everything in the braking system except for the lines and master cylinder. The rear power windows likely need to have new wires pulled for them, as I replaced the motor on the right rear window, and the window switches all around, to no avail. The visible rust on it isn't serious, as I had all of the problem areas repaired when it was painted. Since having this car, I've bought decent welding equipment, so had the car come into my life later, I would have simply fixed it all before the paint. The fellow at the paint shop made me a good deal on the paint job, as long as I didn't make him fix ALL of the rust spots (he was swamped, so I pitied him, alas)
...it is painted in DuPont single-stage urethane, color matched ironically with a PPG paint code. When the car left my care, the engine and transmission were in EXCELLENT shape, with fresh, top quality fluid in everything that holds fluid. I did also replace the LR half shaft and wheel bearing 6-8 months before selling it. I realize I'm rambling a bit about a car that may be none of my business, but I just bought a 1985 SD because I was feeling nostalgia for this car. Did an image search for Mango Green, to see if anyone had done a W126 in that color, and this thread came up, so like Beetlejuice, here I am!
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAA
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2016, 07:26 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Aug 2007
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
https://flickr.com/photos/8774373@N0...57602146269827

It had bad sunburn on the silver paint when I bought it, too.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2016, 08:22 AM
w108,107 Parts Hoarder

Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_evil View Post
Does anybody know if a member bought this car? It was my daily for a good long time...

The w123 here on Benzworld have their own subforum. The vintage generally covers nothing later than the early 70's. So maybe in the BW w123 forum, or even peachparts would be good places to check... But aren't YOU the only person who knows who YOU sold it to?

My signature:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in