Windshield installation 1972 250c - Page 3 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
w108,107 Parts Hoarder

Date registered: Jun 2010
Vehicle: 4Keep:450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500seAMG 2sell:500sl92 380se83 300se86 350sl4sp 75slc MorInSig
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1621 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bja72774 View Post
Currently my windshield has a small crack and a slight leak from the top drivers side corner. I was toying with adding some sealant up there just for the time being. Would that be OK?

Sorry I missed this. Yes. Anything would be better than water and rust.

My signature:
Click for list of my 32 MB since 2010. If, you want 70's-80's Mercedes tuner wheels, let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 09:56 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2006
Vehicle: 73 280SE 4.5, 71 300SEL, 03 BMW Z4, 72 Fiat 850, 80 Triumph TR7, 85 Porsche 911
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Grubeguy Send a message via Yahoo to Grubeguy
A sealant within the gasket can be a great temp fix, but unless the gasket itself is cracked or shrunk, I'd look for rust spots also. For seriously damaged glass, I'd suggest clearing out all the bits as possible, and filling it with superglue gel (noting that this is a temp fix until the glass gets replaced). The stuff can be formed/smoothed with a bondo squeegee, and will dry clear. Another option is epoxy (look for the stuff that dries clear), which will cure in minutes.
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 05:46 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2011
Vehicle: 11 ML350 4 Matic - 00 SL500 - 95 E420 Past 08 E350 -4Sport -1997 E320 - 1992 E400 - 1971 250C
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Cool I have done a 114 Coupe myself. Very Satisfying

Remove the old Windsheild, trim, etc. Start with new gasket

Repair the frame mount on body beforehand if needed. (mine did), create a spray bottle of Dawn and water, using a good amount of dawn or other dish soap for rubber lubricant.

Get new glass, put rubber in place, on glass. Put aluminum trin insert on rubbber.
Get some "nylon" white twine, must be real the stuff. Create a Pull loop at end of twine and tape it on glass on inside at 6 inches from lower left corner, and start putting twine in actual rubber channel that the glass attaches to bodywork. Run twinalong the bottom of rubber gasket, keeping it tight in channel, and run it all around the rubber groove, crossing over the start pointand doubling it until you get to to 6 inches from lower left corner, again putting aother pull loop at end and taping it to inside glass.

You are almost ready to install glass. Now spray the body channel that goes up in gasket librally with soapy mixture. both inside and out.

Spray the rubber gasket where it goes inside body channel and also is exposed inside car. keep bottle handy as you will need it as you complete.

Now with help of fiend, lift up gla and start at one of the top corners by sliding glass into place, continue moving along top push up on glass into channel. You should be able to work gasket into top and both corners with out much effort. Now come the fun part. Continue putting firm pressure on glass and working gasket into place, you should be able to get glass almost 95% with out pulling string if you use a soft prying device.
Most Important, Take you time, and do not put any sharp pressure on glass , This is why it breaks !!!

Now that you are close with glass and rubber in place along the top and some of the sides, you are ready to have help press firmly on outside of glass , and start pulling string which will walk gasket over lip and place glass in correct poistion. Pull along botttom, up side , across top, and down other side, almost to bottom corner. This comes to the most tricky and careful part, again applying firm but not hard pressure on outside of glass, spray some more rubber lube, take you time while pulling string and using finger as the rubber lip is pulled through, the glass slips into place. Don't force glass , EVER.

You might have to use needle nose on rubber to pull it in, but take your time. When you get past bottom corner, the rest pulls through without issue.

Finish pulling twine strip until complete.

If you mess up start over, use plenty of lube. After a while the you get hang of this. I got to where I could do it without help.

Good luck, Always mount the trim into the rubber first.

After complete, go back and mount trim at bottom.

Mike M
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
w108,107 Parts Hoarder

Date registered: Jun 2010
Vehicle: 4Keep:450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500seAMG 2sell:500sl92 380se83 300se86 350sl4sp 75slc MorInSig
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1621 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Windshield installation 1972 250c

@826363

THANK YOU!!

My signature:
Click for list of my 32 MB since 2010. If, you want 70's-80's Mercedes tuner wheels, let me know.
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 10:29 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Dec 2007
Vehicle: 93' 600SL AMG bits / 86' 190E 16V 5 speed /99' ML430
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I don't have an issue with the actual install. Trouble I have with the process is removeing the trim, especially the lower sections as I have no info pertaining to how its attached to the body. Don't want to bend the stuff. Any insight would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in