Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Possible fintail project. I need some advice.

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  wroding 
#1 ·
Hi All
I have just been offered this fintail 220s. It has been sitting for many years at least 6 or more. From the pictures I was hoping someone could tell me if this is something worth getting into? I took a friend who works at a body shop with me and the body and underside are in pretty good shape. What would be a fair price or should I avoid this car. Its such a shame that it was left for so long. Im curious about what to expect form and engine and tranny that has been sitting for this long? All the window rubbers are shot and the interior is in a sorry state. Its leather but very dried out.
I couldn't believe the size of the trunk, which had some surface rust but wasn't that bad.
love to know your opinions.
Cheers John

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
I agree, you need a goal. You can spend a lot of money very quickly. It looks like a solid car, but there is a lot of work to do.

I love these cars, and I have a W110. I decided on putting a modern motor in it and drivetrain. I am about 5-6k in it, and it's fun in it's current state. Done? No. Still needs paint and some interior work. (Thread here: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/vin...41829-w110-heckflosse-project-1966-200-a.html )

If you restore that car, you will be more into it than I am, but would be worth more. But, if you want one, I would buy it done. Cheaper. :)

-- brett

#5 ·
I think my goal would be to fix up the interior get it running and use it daily. I am not into a full blown restoration, im not that bothered about the faded paint because it is a solid body. Also I like the character of the car. I am mainly concerned about the interior cost. What would be a fair price?

cheers John

#6 ·
I will have to find some receipts of what I have spent but I seem to recall that door rubbers, fuzzy strips and especially those quarter glass rubbers will end up costing over $1000 for genuine. Then you may need another $1000 for hoses/fluids/filters, freeing up stuck brake calipers, cleaning the fuel system, rebuilding the carbs etc.

As for the interior, I don't have a feel for US prices. A car sold locally near me in oz last weekend for $900 and it had a nice interior.
I am getting a mate to fix up a 220S for me at present so I will see what it is costing.
Cheers, Drew

#9 ·
If you want it as a daily driver, you should also be concerned about the condition of the engine, transmission, brakes and suspension--and what it will cost to gain a measure of mechanical confidence in the car.

If you are going to get it, do it for fun and because you love these cars. Any other reason is sure to be full of disappointment.

#11 ·
Ok.. I've spoken with my buddy to make sure he wasn't interested, his got to much going on and so do I. I'd like to put it out there to you guys if your interested in saving this old car. Please message me if your interested. The asking price is $0 she just wants it gone. I live in northern California about 1 hour from sacremento. Feel free to ask any questions.
cheers for your help.
John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.