sunroof guides and lubricant - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Mar 2014
Vehicle: 1968 280se, 1972 280se 4.5, Land Rover disco II, Triumph Thruxton, Triumph Tiger. +boring Chevy Van
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
sunroof guides and lubricant

Hi All
I've been working on getting the sunroof on my 4.5 working better. On close inspection I found that two of the plastic guides are broken as well as the runners and guides being clogged up with grease. No wonder it couldn't move on its own. Any recommendations on were I can get new guides and also what kind of lubricant should I use?
Cheers John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 09:17 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Nov 2014
Vehicle: 1987 300SDL
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wroding View Post
Hi All
I've been working on getting the sunroof on my 4.5 working better. On close inspection I found that two of the plastic guides are broken as well as the runners and guides being clogged up with grease. No wonder it couldn't move on its own. Any recommendations on were I can get new guides and also what kind of lubricant should I use?
Cheers John
I would say try Mercedes for the guides, if they have them of course. Now for the grease. I recommend you get the original tub of sunroof grease. It is only about 80/100 bucks. You are better buying a large tub because you need to maintain the sunroof constantly in order for it to last, so buy it in bulk and you are good to go. The manuals almost all say lube every year (summer preferred), Ken so and so suggests every 6 months.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 09:23 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Dec 2014
Vehicle: AMG C63
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 914 Post(s)
Can't help on the guides

I clean mine with wd40 on a rag
Then apply a little white lithium grease with a foam brush
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 08:40 AM
Premium Member

Date registered: Nov 2012
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Premium Member
the reason that the roof wont want to move [ motor working ] is that the cable is in need of cleaning and lube .to do that , remove the cover [ in car ] ,open roof, help with hand , remove the clip at end of cable , with switch , close roof , cable will come out , clean , lube with soft grease [ red wheel bearing grease will work], or white grease in spray can lithium , put cable back in , and with switch open roof until cable lines to put clip back in .
Ingenieur likes this.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 09:23 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2010
Vehicle: 2010 GL 350 BluTEC; 1967 250SE Sedan (Euro).
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Check out the sunroof service video on www.MercedesSource.com
Kent has tons of advice regarding lubrication and trouble shooting ... Some free, some pay on-demand.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Senior Member

Vehicle: 1968 280se, 1972 280se 4.5, Land Rover disco II, Triumph Thruxton, Triumph Tiger. +boring Chevy Van
(Thread Starter)
Thanks Guys. I have actually already removed, cleaned, lubricated and reinstalled the cable. Also cleaned and regreased all the gears in the rear box unit. The roof does work but needs help. The cause as I see it is someone before used the wrong grease on the runners and it turned into a gluey mess. Im going to clean and re lube them today. I know that Kent guy on you tube highly recomends the mbz grease but is that absolutely the case? I have seen a you tube video of a mbz mechanic recomending Mobil one synthetic grease.Has anyone had any experience wigh this stuff?
Cheers John.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 10:20 AM
~BANNED~

Quote:
Thanks Guys. I have actually already removed, cleaned, lubricated and reinstalled the cable. Also cleaned and regreased all the gears in the rear box unit. The roof does work but needs help. The cause as I see it is someone before used the wrong grease on the runners and it turned into a gluey mess. Im going to clean and re lube them today. I know that Kent guy on you tube highly recomends the mbz grease but is that absolutely the case? I have seen a you tube video of a mbz mechanic recomending Mobil one synthetic grease.Has anyone had any experience wigh this stuff?
Cheers John.
Listen I'm an engineering student and I have been fixing cars in my spare time for a long time. I have learned that if a company comes up with something very special it is usually for a good reason. It is only about 100 dollars and you get a tub of that grease. The reason for the tub is because the sunroof has to be maintained constantly! So just spend the money because you will get the right stuff that is guaranteed to work without regret and you will have enough to last for a lifetime of service. I think it is stupidly outrageous price, but rebuilding the entire sunroof costs more. On my W126 I am restoring the previous owner never took care of the sunroof and everything mechanical except the guides needs to be replaced. Thankfully I found a sunroof in the junk yard that had everything I needed and only cost 10 bucks, but had I gone to Mercedes I would be looking at about $1200 in parts more or less. What is cheaper 100 dollar grease that will last probably a decade, or being cheap and paying the ultimate price? A penny wise, dollar foolish... Hell if you want to be this cheap and do not even want to spend the money I will send you some for free when I order it, just do it right!!!
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Senior Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the reply. Its not a question of being cheap. I was simply asking wether that the mdz grease is an absolute. I have read so many threads in regards to different lubricants, be it engine, tranny, gear oil etc etc. We are after all talking about lubricating plastic guides on a metal track. This is not a space shuttle. Mobil one has a stellar reputation and all I was wondering is what is in the Mbz grease that makes it so special? I have no problem spending the money on the right stuff, but I was curious to know if there was a perfectly good alternative.
Cheers John
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 12:09 PM
~BANNED~

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. Its not a question of being cheap. I was simply asking wether that the mdz grease is an absolute. I have read so many threads in regards to different lubricants, be it engine, tranny, gear oil etc etc. We are after all talking about lubricating plastic guides on a metal track. This is not a space shuttle. Mobil one had a stellar reputation and all I was wondering is what is in the Mbz grease that makes it so special? I have no problem spending the money on the right stuff, but I was curious to know if there was a perfectly good alternative.
Cheers John
Well sorry if I may have offended you. I just hate when I see people who own Mercedes and not use Mercedes or at the least bit OEM parts and accessories.

I honestly do not know what is in the sunroof grease. Mercedes-Benz is not going to tell anybody that. To put it in a gas chromatic analyzer would cost more than the grease. I can make an assumption and say that it is probably some form of PTFE Silicon Grease. I do know from taking apart the sunroofs that this grease has the ability to not break down easily in water and ozone. It also doesn't seem to attract dust and dirt! However, it does break town over time and when it does this stuff is like peanut butter! Both in colour and viscosity.

I have used PTFE Silicon grease from Super Lube. It seems to repel water, it has excellent dielectric properties, and does not appear to attract allot of dirt. I still see some specs of dirt, but not like traditional lithium. The only issue with this Super Lube is that it appears to cake in presence of air after extended period of time. The Mercedes grease does not cake and break down, it just turns brown and becomes viscous like peanut butter.

I seriously do not believe that Mercedes would have gone through the trouble of coming up and manufacturing or finding a manufacture to produce this product if they did not think it was necessary!

I do not deny that some have had good experiences using other grease, but again I would not chance it.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Senior Member

(Thread Starter)
You did not offend me, please don't think that. I, like you, appreciate the thought and quality that has been built into these cars. Thanks for your advice. I have got the runners and guides out and am in the process of cleaning all the muck out. Someone before used what looks like regular grease which has hardened. I will post some pix on what I found.
Cheers John.
ps if anyone has a lead on the plastic guides let me know. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in