post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 12:27 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Nov 2014
Vehicle: 1987 300SDL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wroding View Post
You did not offend me, please don't think that. I, like you, appreciate the thought and quality that has been built into these cars. Thanks for your advice. I have got the runners and guides out and am in the process of cleaning all the muck out. Someone before used what looks like regular grease which has hardened. I will post some pix on what I found.
Cheers John.
ps if anyone has a lead on the plastic guides let me know. Thanks
The Daimler-Benz AG era cars are the best and therefore deserve the best. These new ones are just junk. Chrysler products with Daimler Star. Yes Chrysler is not part of Mercedes-Benz anymore, but ever since Chrysler was involved Mercedes has not been the same. The customer service now is terrible, the roadside assistance has changed drastically only to cover new car buyers. Hect, I have the original 1987 S-Class sales brochure for my car and they could not stress but enough the superiority of their engineering. I say there was a time when Mercedes-Benz was in competition with Rolls Royce, and now Mercedes has to compete with Hyundai? What the hell is this s#$t!!

I look at it like this, when it was Daimler and Benz, Daimler-Benz AG it was good. Once Benz was removed it was junk. Even though the founders have been dead for a long time up until the end of Daimler-Benz their mission had lived on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Mar 2014
Vehicle: 1968 280se, 1972 280se 4.5, Land Rover disco II, Triumph Thruxton, Triumph Tiger. +boring Chevy Van
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Talking about quality. My Mum just sent me a book written by James May from top gear UK. Here is an extract from one of the chapters. I'm sure you will appreciate
John

As seen on TV: the Clarkson-proof car - Telegraph
Leidenschaft likes this.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 12:38 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2002
Vehicle: Depends on the day!
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to jhodg5ck
I break up the big tins into little tins... 12.50 to your door and enough to last the Normal Mercedes owner a lifetime.

White lube is verboten and causes more harm then good in the long run...that stuff turns to more rock then grease with age..

Jono
Leidenschaft likes this.

Blue Ridge Mercedes/AMG East
Jonathan Hodgman
http://www.blueridgemb.com/
Enthusiast Service, Restoration & Tuning.
Authorized RENNtech Dealer & Installer
Follow Us on Facebook!
Located in the Atlanta area

87 Hammer Wagon 6.0L 32V
87 Hammer 6.0L 32V
86 560SEL AMG 6.0 32V
etc....

Mercedes Repair Atlanta
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 12:49 PM
~BANNED~

Quote:
Originally Posted by wroding View Post
Talking about quality. My Mum just sent me a book written by James May from top gear UK. Here is an extract from one of the chapters. I'm sure you will appreciate
John

As seen on TV: the Clarkson-proof car - Telegraph
True, but most people now only are going to keep their cars for about 5 years. The industry dictates to the consumer, simple as that. These cars being made TODAY are purposefully built to operate within the warranty period without anything failing. This means other than standards maintenance parts you are good for about 5 years. Same thing with shopping at food stores. The stores will sell a specific size of a product and sell it at one price, then sell a case at another price. They are able to almost force you to pay more for less because no one needs 100 bottles of ketchup. Look at the shop vac in home depot. The 9 gallon is 59 and for 20 bucks more you get an extra horsepower or two and 3 more gallons. Then when it comes time to replace the filter they are about 17 bucks for standard, but if you are like most users of the shop vac you will need the 5 layer 25 dollar filter, half the price of the vac in some cases! So what do you do, replace the vacuum because to get these accessories costs too much in comparison to an entirely new vacuum. Repairing it is out because they no longer sell the important parts such as motors and brushes. Not to mention that the shop vac by Ridgid today costs 3 times as much as in 2001 and aren't even made in the USA. Ridgid shop vacs in 2001 were made in USA and cost 1/3rd as of today. Now they are made in Mexico. So it costs less to make and they sell it for more, highway robbery. Chapps my behind! Now every so often these vacs go on sale for sometimes 30 dollars! This means that the home depot is still making a profit as is the manufacture. So the actual vacuum costs no more than a few bucks!

Ramble ramble ramble...

Last edited by Leidenschaft; 01-11-2015 at 12:53 PM.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Mar 2014
Vehicle: 1968 280se, 1972 280se 4.5, Land Rover disco II, Triumph Thruxton, Triumph Tiger. +boring Chevy Van
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I'm sticking with my Green eco friendly Merc
John.
Leidenschaft likes this.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 12:54 PM
~BANNED~

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodg5ck View Post
I break up the big tins into little tins... 12.50 to your door and enough to last the Normal Mercedes owner a lifetime.

White lube is verboten and causes more harm then good in the long run...that stuff turns to more rock then grease with age..

Jono
well a rinny tin tin :P
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 02:08 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2006
Vehicle: 73 280SE 4.5, 71 300SEL, 03 BMW Z4, 72 Fiat 850, 80 Triumph TR7, 85 Porsche 911
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Grubeguy Send a message via Yahoo to Grubeguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leidenschaft View Post
The Daimler-Benz AG era cars are the best and therefore deserve the best. These new ones are just junk. Chrysler products with Daimler Star. Yes Chrysler is not part of Mercedes-Benz anymore, but ever since Chrysler was involved Mercedes has not been the same. The customer service now is terrible, the roadside assistance has changed drastically only to cover new car buyers. Hect, I have the original 1987 S-Class sales brochure for my car and they could not stress but enough the superiority of their engineering. I say there was a time when Mercedes-Benz was in competition with Rolls Royce, and now Mercedes has to compete with Hyundai? What the hell is this s#$t!!

I look at it like this, when it was Daimler and Benz, Daimler-Benz AG it was good. Once Benz was removed it was junk. Even though the founders have been dead for a long time up until the end of Daimler-Benz their mission had lived on.
I think the "superiority" of the engineering is all but a myth. The only thing Mercedes did better than the competition was to over engineer things so that they would last longer, and hire a competent marketing team throughout the years to maintain the myth. They rust just as much as other cars of the era, they have the same brake problems as cars of the same era, etc etc. I'm sure you know this already Leidenschaft, but the Bosch fuel systems on the typical 108 of the early 70s also made its way to Volkswagen, Audi, Porsche, Fiat and Lancia. Does that pull Mercedes down also?

As for the pedestal you put Rolls Royce on, have you ever been in one or maintained one? Their maintenance records are worse than Mercedes. Aside from a plush interior and a snooty marque, Rolls is no better than anything else out there.

As for competing against Hyundai, you might do yourself a favor and take a ride in one. They aren't the rice burners of legend, and do indeed compare very favorably against any German car (which I can say also, having owned multiple German cars and Hyundais). I would suspect that if you looked at their stock, you'd see the company that offers a 100k mile warranty hasn't gone bankrupt with repair bills. Actually, I would think that the only major difference between the two is the elevation of the noses of the drivers, and the sticker price in getting it there.

It's been discussed on this thread multiple times, the mystique of a classic Benz, that is. While I'm a huge fan of the brand and have owned multiple models of the same, I get a hoot out of people suggesting paying stupidly high Mercedes-specific prices for a Mercedes-approved something or another. The MAF sensor in my BMW is about to bite it, and the stealership cost is more than 5 times what I'd pay for an equivalent part that comes with an equivalent warranty. And the labor cost for stealership folks to put the thing in is more than 3x that of the local indie guy who specializes in BMWs. The cost of a MAP sensor for our 108s at the stealership is WELL north of what I'd pay for an aftermarket part, again with a warranty. The ONLY thing you get from a stealership repair is a higher bill and the satisfaction that a part hidden under the hood has the company logo on it.

In the case of the appropriate grease for the aforementioned rails, a silicon grease will last years and will indeed attract dust. Like anything exposed to the elements, you'll need to maintain the thing with a couple hours worth of maintenance. That's it. If something German, or "approved" is a must have, then do some research and find a good Deutche chemical company and buy their product. Or go to (gasp) Autozone or Napa, and purchase something made by 3M. You know, the company that makes lubricants for NASA, Lockheed, etc etc. You'll pay $12 for enough of the product to lube the rails up and even have a bunch left over.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 03:44 PM
~BANNED~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubeguy View Post
I think the "superiority" of the engineering is all but a myth. The only thing Mercedes did better than the competition was to over engineer things so that they would last longer, and hire a competent marketing team throughout the years to maintain the myth. They rust just as much as other cars of the era, they have the same brake problems as cars of the same era, etc etc. I'm sure you know this already Leidenschaft, but the Bosch fuel systems on the typical 108 of the early 70s also made its way to Volkswagen, Audi, Porsche, Fiat and Lancia. Does that pull Mercedes down also?

As for the pedestal you put Rolls Royce on, have you ever been in one or maintained one? Their maintenance records are worse than Mercedes. Aside from a plush interior and a snooty marque, Rolls is no better than anything else out there.

As for competing against Hyundai, you might do yourself a favor and take a ride in one. They aren't the rice burners of legend, and do indeed compare very favorably against any German car (which I can say also, having owned multiple German cars and Hyundais). I would suspect that if you looked at their stock, you'd see the company that offers a 100k mile warranty hasn't gone bankrupt with repair bills. Actually, I would think that the only major difference between the two is the elevation of the noses of the drivers, and the sticker price in getting it there.

It's been discussed on this thread multiple times, the mystique of a classic Benz, that is. While I'm a huge fan of the brand and have owned multiple models of the same, I get a hoot out of people suggesting paying stupidly high Mercedes-specific prices for a Mercedes-approved something or another. The MAF sensor in my BMW is about to bite it, and the stealership cost is more than 5 times what I'd pay for an equivalent part that comes with an equivalent warranty. And the labor cost for stealership folks to put the thing in is more than 3x that of the local indie guy who specializes in BMWs. The cost of a MAP sensor for our 108s at the stealership is WELL north of what I'd pay for an aftermarket part, again with a warranty. The ONLY thing you get from a stealership repair is a higher bill and the satisfaction that a part hidden under the hood has the company logo on it.

In the case of the appropriate grease for the aforementioned rails, a silicon grease will last years and will indeed attract dust. Like anything exposed to the elements, you'll need to maintain the thing with a couple hours worth of maintenance. That's it. If something German, or "approved" is a must have, then do some research and find a good Deutche chemical company and buy their product. Or go to (gasp) Autozone or Napa, and purchase something made by 3M. You know, the company that makes lubricants for NASA, Lockheed, etc etc. You'll pay $12 for enough of the product to lube the rails up and even have a bunch left over.
I was going to reply to this with a long rebuke, but I am not going to waste my time.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 03:54 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2006
Vehicle: 73 280SE 4.5, 71 300SEL, 03 BMW Z4, 72 Fiat 850, 80 Triumph TR7, 85 Porsche 911
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Grubeguy Send a message via Yahoo to Grubeguy
Oh good Autozone is a 15 minute drive from my house
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 05:42 PM
Premium Member

Date registered: Nov 2012
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Premium Member
cars go 20 plus years without sun roof lubing , you could use a spray can of lithium grease .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in