post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2014
Vehicle: 1981 W123 300TD
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Make your own fuel line

Check this out folk. MB classic has been really good to me. there service has been second to none; in my humble opinion. Any way, recently I ran into a WALL! Yea..I know after you read the post I'm going to hear the following... All you had to do is by some rubber fuel line & yatta, yatta,yatta. Naw.. This post is for the Mercedes diesel buffs. The ladies know what I'm talking about. Go hard or don't go at all. Since some parts that MB makes are starting to becoming extinct like some of our plants and wild life, I could not pass up this opportunity to educate you on this DIY.

Sometimes you just want to keep something's original in the engine bay, and my clear hard fuel lines with the banjo fittings was the line in the sand for me. So watch the video and I hope you enjoy and I welcome everyone's comments
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8xp56l0dwu...44_02.mp4?dl=0
BayouFlyFisher likes this.

Last edited by thechozin_1; 12-15-2014 at 09:52 AM. Reason: wrong url
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 12:52 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2012
Vehicle: 1968 250S, 1991 300se, 1998 SL500, 1977 450SEL 6.9. Past MB's; 300SD, 300E, 300TE, 190E, ML420
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Garage
nice info!

can you add what fuel line you used?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumb View Post
nice info!

can you add what fuel line you used?
rumb...I had two make several choices and you will to. First you won't be shocked that MB classic has not sent you the wrong parts. I thought they did, but trust me these guys are all ways on there "A" game. This is how I found out that I had to make my own lines. So armed with that info. I compounded my problems by breaking that hardline from the alda(I believe that's what its called) So I decided I wanted to change ALL the clear lines. Like I said MB makes some lines and others they don't. MB still makes the clear lines that run from the main fuel filter. After that...your on your own. So the first Part # is 617-070-03-81(Change over valve line/pipe injection conduite) It comes with only ONE banjo fitting at the end. Hmmmmm dilemma one. Dilema two that line will need to be cut down to fit some where and will need another banjo fitting on the opposite end. Why you ask? Because it was not long enough to reach to anywhere. ***What I found out was the original banjo fittings are much more easier to put on than the new ones. So if you can avoid it leave the new banjo fitting in on one end and fit and old banjo fitting of the same diameter on the other.

Now I was wondering why MB classic sent me another bag containing just 2ft to 3ft of hard line w/ noooo banjo fittings (I can't remember how much nor the part # ). I soon found out. Your on your own pilgrim. Down load that video and practice like hell. If you think you have cut just a tad to much....you haven't cut enough!!! What you didn't see in the video was there was several times ( 4 to be exact) were the hard lined melted etc... then I had to start ALL over again.( DO NOT SHORT CUT ANY OF THE PROCESS, IF YOU DO YOUR LINES WILL LEAK...THE SEAL MUST BE PERFECT.) The next thing you know your getting awful close to a line that looks a lot like a coffee straw. So take your time and be patient.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 11:00 AM
Premium Member

Date registered: Nov 2012
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Premium Member
it s easier to use quality fuel hoses and clamps .on diesels , the smallest air leak there will cause some problems . during over night stop , the fuel will drain back into tank , causing a no to hard start .
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
You make a very valid point. But... this is were it gets hot. #1 You said that dreadful word that hurts my ears sometimes... particularly in this generation "EASIER" I am the first to admit the car does need soooome upgrades(55 alter...100 alter)but were do you stop? Hey the Germans built a HEY of a car and its up to the future generations to step up to the plate and meet there engineering minds.
#2 I clearly state in video and post certain steps must be done RIGHT....NOO SHORT CUTS.
#3 Your valid point concerned me from the very beginning, but not for what you said. I figured if I didn't seal the hard lines right fuel would leak(small crazy dream) or I could be driving and the hoses explode and so does the car(huge crazy dream)
#4 Both of our thought processes are sound some what. But..but to only know if they are sealed, I'm positive the German factory had to have a pressure test. I was unable to do so & I don't know how,psi etc..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in