LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-30-2014, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Nov 2014
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
planning a ~1930s reproduction

i like old cars, from around the 1930s era and have been wanting to build from the ground up a 1930s style benz.. the exact model of which im not 100% decided but im strongly leaning towards the 540K coupe, but would also consider the 500K and SSK roadsters

id like to keep this as mercedes as possible in either sticking with parts i fabricate myself or authentic MB components including the drivetrain, suspension, interior, etc however i must admit im not as well educated in mercedes equipment to fully know what my options are and what the best choices for parts would be..

ideally i want to use mercedes components that have easy to find more readily available parts, so what id like to know is what are some of the better, more common drivetrain components in mercedes vehicles.. what are some of the better engine options out there in terms of availability, performance, and aftermarket? what would be my best source for a full frame i can use to build upon and title?.. im not sure when mercedes stopped using body-on-frame construction

the 540k used a 5.4L straight 8, i seriously doubt im going to find one of these engines and if i could there would be zero aftermarket, so what can you say about the M113 and M155 engines? a 5.4L 8 cylinder engine, granted not an inline would still match the displacement and cylinder count of the original.. another idea i had was to fuse two inline-4 engines to create a new straight-8 engine

so any advice, information, questions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-30-2014, 02:03 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2012
Vehicle: 1968 250S, 1991 300se, 1998 SL500, 1977 450SEL 6.9. Past MB's; 300SD, 300E, 300TE, 190E, ML420
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Garage
That is quite an undertaking.

Tell us about your background and abilities to perform what you are after. What is your budget?

Why not just start with and excalibur? What are your parameters for mixing old with new? What decade technology do you want for your drivetrain or suspension?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-30-2014, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
well i'm putting together a new workshop, itll include a lathe and a CNC bridgeport mill.. ive worked on many cars before but havent built any from scratch, and i have a decent amount of engineering and machining skills, so i can do a significant level of fabrication

my budget?.. dont really have one and this isnt going to be a quick project, i foresee it taking a while to complete so building this car will become a hobby.. if i need to put more funds into it, then i will when i come to the point, so if the budget needs to go up thatll just mean itll take longer to complete, its really the project, the hobby, and the enjoyment of working on machines that im after as opposed to simply having a working vehicle anyone could just buy

as for mixing old and new, i have absolutely no issues using newer drivetrain and suspension technology, in fact, id like to use newer technology.. id like to use a newer, better performing, more reliable engine i can find ample parts for, transmission to match, a more comfortable suspension.. and it is a mercedes and part of the reason i want to go that route is because i want to combine performance with luxury and comfort, something i can enjoy driving, this will include putting a sound system into it

so imagine the performance, the luxury, and the comfort of a new mercedes combined with the style of what'll most likely be a 540K coupe, maybe a roadster, havent decided 100%
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 07:34 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2012
Vehicle: 1968 250S, 1991 300se, 1998 SL500, 1977 450SEL 6.9. Past MB's; 300SD, 300E, 300TE, 190E, ML420
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Garage
Sounds like you are prepared for the chassis.

I know a guy that has a Bugatti shop and can makes new blocks. that would look correct in there.

What about sheet metal?

Are you going to make something that looks like this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MERCEDESBENZTypSSK-2541_18.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	1226578  
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
no, i want to build something like one of these

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in