1968 250S, are they desired? - Page 4 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 08:14 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2012
Vehicle: 1968 250S, 1991 300se, 1998 SL500, 2x 1977 450SEL 6.9. Past MB's; 300SD, 300E, 300TE, 190E, ML420
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Garage
grosser,

sounds like you will fit in fine here. I likewise thought you a newbie. We see similar new member posts every few weeks, so natural for us to think that way. We are a pretty encouraging bunch, but sometimes treat ignorance sharply.

To see one of the oddest recent posts by a newbie:
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r-c1...er-slc280.html you will understand better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoot View Post
Yep. Based on your first post in the thread I thought you were getting your feet wet.

Sounds like dry feet about to get wet. I guess I guessed wrong!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 08:16 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 1968 250S, 1991 300se, 1998 SL500, 2x 1977 450SEL 6.9. Past MB's; 300SD, 300E, 300TE, 190E, ML420
Garage
The R107 guys are planning a trip, I may run up part way to meet them.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r-c1...015-yukon.html

Quote:
There are some local meets but not many that I know of. And not particularly vintage. MBCA has events all over the country but I find those things mostly to be people into new MBs that they lease... boring. The geographic diversity makes it difficult for lots of gatherings.
post #33 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 08:21 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Garage
Wife and I join Mile High MBCA over a year ago. Nice bunch to go on drives and out to dinner with, but really hard to even talk about working on cars with. I had really hoped there would be both. Lots of newer leased cars.

This summer on rally event there was a 280SE 4.5 that stopped running. Took me about 3 minutes to diagnose and another 5 to fix. Only 2 guys and myself even knew it happened.

Also have MG Midget, British car club, those guys know how to work on cars, only way to keep them on the road! It helps if the car hasnt been made in decades.

Quote:
There are some local meets but not many that I know of. And not particularly vintage. MBCA has events all over the country but I find those things mostly to be people into netw MBs that they lease... boring. The geographic diversity makes it difficult for lots of gatherings.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02595.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	1226642  

Last edited by rumb; 12-01-2014 at 08:25 AM.
post #34 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 08:23 AM
Premium Member

Date registered: Nov 2012
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Premium Member
after 20 yrs , you should need a gas tank . the carb version is much easier to deal with then the fuel injected , no high tech stuff in there , just like a chevy .
post #35 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumb View Post
grosser,

sounds like you will fit in fine here. I likewise thought you a newbie. We see similar new member posts every few weeks, so natural for us to think that way. We are a pretty encouraging bunch, but sometimes treat ignorance sharply.

To see one of the oddest recent posts by a newbie:
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r-c1...er-slc280.html you will understand better.
Hi,

Thanks for the warm welcome.
Honestly, I consider myself a newb. I have only bought n sold just a few in the past 20 years. I'm a dealer—I buy them to make a dollar. With most of us dealers, the only thing that matters is the dollar. But lately, i've been drawn to them heavy.

I'm not really a big fan (never was) on modern cars, they just don't do it for me. I prefer to have a fully restored 108, 6 cyl 280SE than a brand new big class Mercedes AMG. Modern cars are just not my thing.
Quote:
The R107 guys are planning a trip, I may run up part way to meet them.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r-c1...015-yukon.html
I will be sure to check it out.
Quote:
Wife and I join Mile High MBCA over a year ago. Nice bunch to go on drives and out to dinner with, but really hard to even talk about working on cars with. I had really hoped there would be both. Lots of newer leased cars.

This summer on rally event there was a 280SE 4.5 that stopped running. Took me about 3 minutes to diagnose and another 5 to fix. Only 2 guys and myself even knew it happened.

Also have MG Midget, British car club, those guys know how to work on cars, only way to keep them on the road! It helps if the car hasnt been made in decades.
Interesting story. I wish I had more time to invest in mechanics. I have a business to run, kids, and a wife that needs attention.
Quote:
Originally Posted by agillot View Post
after 20 yrs , you should need a gas tank . the carb version is much easier to deal with then the fuel injected , no high tech stuff in there , just like a chevy .
I had to past. The paint was shot, interior had a bad oder and its a 6cyl—I won't see my money again. I rather invest in a 3.5, 6.3 or maybe a 4.5 (depending on the condition), something that can fund the hobby.

Regards
Sam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in