LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2014
Vehicle: 2 1970 - SE and SL cabriolets
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Problem is that the car is not firing on all cylinders, is missing and sounds awful. The mechanic changed the spark plug cables , the distributor cap and head. Still no results and the problem is worse and I don't want to go back to this repair shop and there is no other reliable one who can care for classic Mercedes. Its a real pain. I thought that the classic center should be able to get things right even if I have to pay a high price. So that is the summary of things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 10:07 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: May 2014
Vehicle: 1988 300e 75 300d 74 450sl
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
your original distributor is mechanical. points are a mechanical trigger for electric coil. electric would be a electrical pickup that does not move or wear.
yes electric is availlible call pertronics give them the numbers on the distributor and they can send you the correct setup. i have done this on one distributor of this type trigger points will not be changed only ignition points. it works great and have done dozens on the six cylinders
i have also seen the bushing worn and the shaft not spinning straight and cause misfire or rough running. bushing is not hard to change
athadani likes this.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 12:16 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2009
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
still not convinced it is a matter of ignition ...
Could be also a matter of no petrol in some cilinders ....
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 10:01 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul-NL View Post
is he trying to convince you or is he trying to fix car?
have you seen or drove car? there are many posibilitys of what it could be wrong its all a process of elimination. worn bushings in dist can cause all sorts of problems with points and can be cured by elecronic ignition

check the dwell on the points
while car is running unplug injectors one at a time that will tell you if they are working and how much that cylinder is contributing. it will also tell you what cylinders are misfireing. you can pull plug wires one at a time also but injector wire wont shock you
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 02:46 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2006
Vehicle: 73 280SE 4.5, 71 300SEL, 03 BMW Z4, 72 Fiat 850, 80 Triumph TR7, 85 Porsche 911
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Grubeguy Send a message via Yahoo to Grubeguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul-NL View Post
Yes yes, that too. BUT, there is no harm in a Pertronix setup - I would bet Paul's left arm that the conversion would only improve the way the car runs.
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 04:27 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2009
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
He wrote : " The mechanic changed the spark plug cables , the distributor cap and head. Still no results and the problem is worse "

So the cause is imho obviously NOT the ignition ..... BUT the injection .....

Could be a faillure of the computer or the "trigger / contactpoints" for the D-Jetronic Injection in the bottom of the distributor ........
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 06:06 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

if the problem got worse than you are in the right area. im sure this wire harness is probably original. this system operates on resistance values and that can change with harness temp they also have a manifold press sensor that can be adjusted. my bet is on the distributor bushings if the shaft wobbles it will be inconsistant. check dwell at different rpms if its not the same there is a problem
i know i could fix it for you but it looks like you are not close to northern california
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-26-2014, 04:15 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2006
Vehicle: 73 280SE 4.5, 71 300SEL, 03 BMW Z4, 72 Fiat 850, 80 Triumph TR7, 85 Porsche 911
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Grubeguy Send a message via Yahoo to Grubeguy
The mechanic changed the cap and rotor but may have left the points and condenser. Ignition is not yet ruled out.

Athadani, the trigger points are in the front of the distributor and can be removed in less than two mins (seriously) with the use of a Phillips screw driver. Take the thing out and look for carbon, grime, crap, etc. Using acetone (nail polish remover), clean the contact points with a q-tip or used toothbrush. Do the same with the plug. Reinstall and plug the thing back in.

Honestly, I'm not thinking the problem is with the trigger points, but with the ignition points (and condenser). I replaced my Fiat's condenser with a new one, but the new one was bad too. Like my 108 previously, the Fiat ran like a bag of hammers until I installed the Pertronix. The difference was night and day.

Once you do this, I'd bet Paul's remaining arm the problem goes away.

HOWEVER, if the problem persists, I'd look to wiring or plugs/contacts. You can check this with a multimeter, and without shelling out tons of $$ at the classic center.

Tell me, did you buy the car with these issues? Have you owned the car for eons and the problem just started? Has there been a graceful degradation to the current crappily-running state?

These answers and more can aid in our pointing you toward further troubleshooting steps as required.

Last edited by Grubeguy; 11-26-2014 at 07:24 AM.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-26-2014, 08:53 AM
Premium Member

Date registered: Nov 2012
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Premium Member
when you own a EARLY EFI car , you need to have a mechanic stethoscope so you can hear the injectors working , when you have a problem with trigger pointes [ common ] you loose 2 injectors per pointes set [ you have 4 ] . the common problem is oil leaking inside bottom of distributor , and the pointes get wet .so get a stethoscope and report your finding .1 and 5 4 and 8 2 and 7 3 and 6 injectors are together .
rollin560 likes this.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-26-2014, 02:00 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by agillot View Post
when you own a EARLY EFI car , you need to have a mechanic stethoscope so you can hear the injectors working , when you have a problem with trigger pointes [ common ] you loose 2 injectors per pointes set [ you have 4 ] . the common problem is oil leaking inside bottom of distributor , and the pointes get wet .so get a stethoscope and report your finding .1 and 5 4 and 8 2 and 7 3 and 6 injectors are together .
and the reason oil gets on them is that the bushings are worn and oil gets pushed up past them

unplug the injector and you can tell if it is working
with a screw driver tip on the injector and the handle at you ear you can hear the clicking but that only tells you that the solinoid is moving does not tell you how the injector is spraying
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in