LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Nov 2014
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Engine Bay Paint Color W111

I am almost ready to paint my '61 W111 coupe and I am wondering about engine-bay paint color. Mine is black and I don't think that it had been repainted. I have seen several restoration photos of cars that seem to have original, body-color bays.

My car is DB516, medium red but I can't see any evidence of that color in the engine bay.

I have read pretty strong proof that the W113s were body color, but not a lot about the W111s....just images of other cars that seem to be body-color.

Mine is pretty early 111-021-12-017097 and has number 000026 of the .984 engine that only the coupes and cabs used....but I would think the first coupes and the thousands of sedans from '59, '60, and '61 had the same engine-bay paint plan.

In doing our strip-down of the car, we have seen evidence of panel repair (right door, right fender, hood) and respray, but I can't believe the whole car was painted or that the engine was ever pulled to paint the bay. And if it was, it wasn't a respray as on the body panels, because careful sanding never showed a layer of red in the bay.

I'd love to see anyone comments about original paint spec for engine bays on W111s and how folks think I should paint mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pictures 045.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	1210881   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pictures 049.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	1210889  
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: