BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2014
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by adler View Post
Good diagnoses!
Can we have contact source for point adjusting tool
Here is a Link to information about the tool .
http://huckhome.de/media/kunena/atta..._en_ver3_1.pdf

Note at the bottom it say's So I expect he is saying he does not mind if you want to make your own tool . However you can contact him and ask if you like . You well find he is very friendly
Ver 3.1en ©
10/2014 Norbert Fischer >>>>> - free for non-commercial use only .

The 3 slots in the tool are for different Cars so if you have one turned out I expect you can just make one with the slot for a Mercedes V8 , you can see from the photo the Mercedes slot that well slide into the " Trigger Point " Distributor Stops .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tool_4_0_txt.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	1198369   Click image for larger version

Name:	Werkzeug-Drehen.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	1198377  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 10:54 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jul 2016
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Same problem

Hi guys, I own a 1971 W109 3.5 V8 M116 engine.

It was running fine, started everytime, anytime. One day i started it and drove to the servo, while driving there it started to run really funny, like it was running out of fuel, the tank was very empty of course. Once filled i drove it to wash down the car a little, it was driving fine again.
I had the engine running and washed the motor front with the pressure washer ( stupid me) i held the sprayer on there for 1 second at the most, i did not hit the D-jet injection ECU or any other electrical connections.
After i left the wash it all started, it was running like on 2 cylinders, barely got home. And now it won't start again, I have tried everything mentioned above, points etc. I took the injector points out cleaned it all out and it definitely got better and trying to start but its just not idling at all.
I even checked if there is water in the tank and there isn't. I drained the tank, checked the fuel filter and filled it again. There is pressure and fuel going to the injectors. Still not starting. I tried one of those injector test LED to plug in and it doesn't seem to work. So not sure what it is? The odd thing is that even when you spray Aerostart into the air filter inlet on the engine, it still not starting.

please help :-(
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 07:04 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2010
Vehicle: 1972 280SEL daily driver. 904 Dark Blue with cognac interior. euro 4.5 engine
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Fuel, Air, Spark....the three things you need to have to make it run. Right now, you don't know what you are missing, but I'm pretty sure you have AIR so focus on spark and fuel.

I would start with pulling a plug and grounding it to the block. Have someone turn the engine over while you look for spark (just make sure you are not touching it).....if you have spark, move on to the D-Jet. If not, look at the ignition system.

Water could have gotten into either system while washing so who knows.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 03:36 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jul 2016
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have tried it all now, pulled spark out and had good spark, i checked the points in the distributor and they seem fine. I just don't understand what is happening suddenly. Its winding but cannot start, its not even trying to. How do i test the Djets? I have been working on this foe a few weeks now and no one can help me around here. we checked compression as well as the timing, everything is spot on.
Could those trigger points that sit in the side of the distributor cause any trouble? even tho it has spark? Please help, just don't know anymore what to do, who to ask
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 06:12 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2006
Vehicle: 73 280SE 4.5, 71 300SEL, 03 BMW Z4, 72 Fiat 850, 80 Triumph TR7, 85 Porsche 911
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Grubeguy Send a message via Yahoo to Grubeguy
I'd start with removing each injector and seeing if it sprays (I've used discarded glass bottles in the past). If not, the injector is either clogged or the wiring to it is (or it's grounded out). Your system fires two injectors at a time so if one injector isn't getting a good signal, likely the other isn't as well.

If you have fuel from each injector, I'd then move to the spark. You mentioned that you had spark, but how strong/weak is it? If after pressure washing your engine, something went to hell, I'd think you have water shorting something out. Pull each spark plug wire off, one at a time, and dry the connection. Same thing with the coil wire and other wires to the coil.

A sudden onset of engine woes like this makes me think of wiring, first thing. You MAY have clogged fuel filters, but the "it worked fine 5 mins ago" symptom leans me toward something electrical, especially in a car with 40+ year old wiring with cracked insulation.

Take a look at the online resources section of the forum - tons of stuff posted there for the d-jet system.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 06:13 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2006
Vehicle: 73 280SE 4.5, 71 300SEL, 03 BMW Z4, 72 Fiat 850, 80 Triumph TR7, 85 Porsche 911
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Grubeguy Send a message via Yahoo to Grubeguy
I'd start with removing each injector and seeing if it sprays (I've used discarded glass bottles in the past). If not, the injector is either clogged or the wiring to it is bad (or it's grounded out). Your system fires two injectors at a time so if one injector isn't getting a good signal, likely the other isn't as well.

If you have fuel from each injector, I'd then move to the spark. You mentioned that you had spark, but how strong/weak is it? If after pressure washing your engine, something went to hell, I'd think you have water shorting something out. Pull each spark plug wire off, one at a time, and dry the connection. Same thing with the coil wire and other wires to the coil.

A sudden onset of engine woes like this makes me think of wiring, first thing. You MAY have clogged fuel filters, but the "it worked fine 5 mins ago" symptom leans me toward something electrical, especially in a car with 40+ year old wiring with cracked insulation.

Take a look at the online resources section of the forum - tons of stuff posted there for the d-jet system.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 01:30 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2010
Vehicle: 1972 280SEL daily driver. 904 Dark Blue with cognac interior. euro 4.5 engine
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
I assume the W109 3.5 has the "computer" for the D-Jet in the same place as my W108 4.5 which is right behind the RH headlight bucket. If you got water in there, it is reasonable that you fried something in it.

I agree with Grubeguy. I would pull one whole rail off with the 4 injectors attached and test it (only takes about 5 minutes to pull the 4 injectors). I would unplug (electrically) all but one of the 4 removed injectors when I test it. Make sure you spray that injector into a container such as a plastic water bottle so you are not spraying a nice fine mist of gasoline over an engine with potential electrical issues.....not a good combination.

That injector should spray a fine mist into the bottle when you try to start it. The others should not spray or dribble.
wroding likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.