Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Daily driver m130? 1969 280se or 1972 250c

15K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  Fonzi 
#1 ·
I'm trying to decide if either of these would be an acceptable daily driver. The injected m130 280se is appealing because it seems less troublesome than the dual zenith carbs and apparently the car runs really well. However, it needs a full paint job. It has no more rust than my 250c, less probably, but paint jobs can be expensive as I understand it.

Sedan vs coupe is a personal choice. I currently don't have any sedans. So there's some utility value I could see in tooling around in one of these sedans. Black rip-free MBTex is more utilitarian than white leather in the coupe too. But of course the body work and paint are an immediate need.

Will the injected 280se do better or worse than the carbed 250c on fuel consumption? If fuel consumption won't be as good as my Honda Ridgeline which often gets 20mph highway, 16-17 mixed city, then I won't end up driving it. And if I won't drive it, I won't buy it.

The 250c has power windows and the 280se does not. Both have AC and working, leak-free sunroofs and Becker radios and crack free dashes. Of coarse the wood in the w108 is a nice touch, making the car that much more classic.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Luxury vehicle Classic car

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Luxury vehicle Mercedes-benz w108

See less See more
#2 ·
thats a hard one. both are very disirable the coupe might be worth more in the long run but dual carbs. i have always liked the 108 body and think it would be more reliable and get better fuel economy. my 70 280sel got about 20mph and drove better than any 115 chassis ive ever drivin.
my choice is the 280:grin

#5 ·
I already own the 250c (and a second 250c with chrome floor shifter too that I could maybe use for parts) and I'm trying to figure out if I'm staying in the w114 ball game or switching over to w108.

If I stick with the w114, I'm sure I will put some different wheels on it to try and minimize the "grandpa" effect of the w114 coupe. Unfortunately, I haven't even tested out any of my wheel collection in them yet though.

I can certainly live with the stock w108 appearance though.

Here are some things that I like in a w114, and wheel options I might attempt:
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Classic car Coupé

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Classic car Motor vehicle

And simple classic isn't so bad when the ride height is good:
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Classic car Luxury vehicle

Back on the w108, here are some of the project items:

Here is some of the rear end damage that would need repaired. Sorry for the terrible pic, but it's all I have. I have a place I can buy a rear bumper already, but would also have a bunch of body work immediately upon the purchase.
Bumper Vehicle door Automotive exterior Vehicle Car

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sedan Classic car

And there's this funky passenger fender mirror that's kind of cool, but not stock. Correct?
Vehicle Automotive exterior Car Vehicle door Automotive design

Attachments

#7 ·
i prefer the 108 body they look so good:grin

#8 ·
They are both gas pigs and both nice to drive. Personally I liked the ride of my 250C better than any of my other benzes... If you don't like the duel zeniths then you can get a dual weber kit.

#12 ·
The mechanical fuel injection used in Mercedes during that time period is good as long as the pump is in good order. If it isn't, fixing is $1500+. I have nothing against Bosch FI but I also never had the Zenith problems that others have spoken of.

I wouldn't base your choice on either of the engines so much as which CAR drives better. I would base more on the tightness of the front suspension, condition of the rubber, etc.

I drove a number of 250 C cars prior to buying one, and I've driven and had a number of W108 sedans. My preference from my own experience is an earlier (with earlier interior and trim and stuff) 250C.

If I were to ever buy another W108 sedan I would want the LWB version since it sets it apart from the other cars in terms of comfort.

#10 ·
I'm trying to decide if either of these would be an acceptable daily driver. The injected m130 280se is appealing because it seems less troublesome than the dual zenith carbs and apparently the car runs really well. However, it needs a full paint job. It has no more rust than my 250c, less probably, but paint jobs can be expensive as I understand it.

Sedan vs coupe is a personal choice. I currently don't have any sedans. So there's some utility value I could see in tooling around in one of these sedans. Black rip-free MBTex is more utilitarian than white leather in the coupe too. But of course the body work and paint are an immediate need.

Will the injected 280se do better or worse than the carbed 250c on fuel consumption? If fuel consumption won't be as good as my Honda Ridgeline which often gets 20mph highway, 16-17 mixed city, then I won't end up driving it. And if I won't drive it, I won't buy it.

The 250c has power windows and the 280se does not. Both have AC and working, leak-free sunroofs and Becker radios and crack free dashes. Of coarse the wood in the w108 is a nice touch, making the car that much more classic.

View attachment 1167905
View attachment 1167913
If you are looking for the mileage you won't get with either of these compared to your Honda. Having owned both I just like the looks of the 108 better. Just not as quite as nimble as the 114 body. I agree buy both if you can. Neither is right or wrong. What do you like when you first see them? I agree the fuel injection of the 280se is abetter way to go.
Baybear

#11 ·
I like the 108 a lot on aesthetic grounds but would have to vote for the newer, simpler car for a daily driver on practical grounds. FWIW, the Bosch FI on my 111 never gave a moment's trouble. No experience with the Zenith carbs.

This is a nice photo :)

#13 ·
Good points everyone.

I own two 250c that I have yet to drive.

I'm not sure if you know that I'm already in bed with two w114. I just sold my only (somewhat) roadworthy w114 on Sunday, my white rusty sedan. My first drive in it in a long time was to drop it off for "storage" at the house of a w114 enthusiast on a Friday. He called wanting to give me a check for the title to the car on Sunday. So I'm down (from 3 w114) to the two w114 coupes:
- 1970 114023-12-000169 MBTex blue w chrome floor shifter automatic, cracked dash, fear end damage parts car that's loaded w "new" parts.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Steering wheel Center console

- 1972 114.023-12-008664 - a single owner back body, white top, white leather, sunroof, column shift automatic, crack free dash, white steering wheel, restored to original the 90's... It might be a little more work than the blue coupe, but the one to restore.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sedan Classic car

Vehicle Car Classic car Family car

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Classic car

Thursday night I had stopped in to take a look at the first w108 I had ever looked at in person. Overall lack if rust and condition of the interior were selling points for te car. The valve cover was a little warm, and the guy knew I was coming. But the car ran (in the driveway) really well. I guess I could be suspicious about the fact that they didn't have the driveway cleared of construction trucks to let me drive it, but I got the sense that the car possibly wasn't insured, and the guy is only selling because his wife says it is time to clean up. I got tree after dark too, and told him I'm not really too serious, and upon leaving I told him I would do my research. Monday he offered me the car for nearly 20% less than Thursday, and I never even tossed out any numbers or offers.

As it's taking me so much time to even get my w114 coupes into the garage to work on them, I considered dumping both and switching to the w108. However, I think it makes more sense to at least get those two coupes running. They run well with fuel in the carb, but both have fuel delivery issues. I need to spend a day or so cleaning fuel tanks and fuel lines. Then I will be able to at least form an opinion about these carbed 250c cars.

So, it seems that injection is good, but not a decision factor when deciding between a w114 or w108.

Maybe this will help. I think the d-jet 4.5 is a pig on gas. I've owned three 1972-1973 450sl, and after the first, I knew I couldn't justify driving the car for work or many long distance trips. 12 mpg is just ridiculous for a two seater. I know I'm not buying a 280se 4.5 for that reason.

However, the rear diff ratio for the 1969 280se is a little ridiculous too, a 3.92 I believe. That's no highway cruiser. Perhaps the 3.07 differential from 280se 4.5 could be used to make the m130 a little more reasonable, but slower of course.

Anyway, I've definitely decided to take this slow and not just jump on the w108. I appreciate the style. Maybe my wife would too, but right now, I've got too many cars. Dumping the two 250c in a swap for the w108 doesn't sound terrible in that respect. I also need to dump a 1973 450sl also, plus haul the 1972 450sl scrap car to the metal recycler any day now.

#14 ·
If the engines run using a gas can near the fuel pump (and return line) then I would spend the time to clean the gas tank and fuel lines and get it running so you can drive it. You really can't make the decision without driving the car as I think there is much more cost involved and repair involved than just the carbs vs. fuel injection.

I agree that the 4.5 is even more of a gas pig. And lots of people want the rear end from a 4.5 to put in a W113 or other car. The 6 cylinder cars are fine at high RPMs which is what the stock rear end is going to require (high RPM to go fast on freeway) but the engine doesn't seem to mind that at all.

#15 ·
Ok. Well then maybe the differential is a point for the 250c then. I think it's rear diff is around 3.69 instead of 3.92 which the 1969 280se should have based on automobile-catalog.com specs.

Wikipedia says the 280se (injected) and 280s (carbed) m130 cars would get 27mpg imp and 22 mpg US. If I knew better I would add a correction to the Wikipedia page, because that seems impossible based on what I've read in this thread. See the "technical info" section of the Wikipedia page: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_W108

#16 ·
Gas mileage - I think my 250 C got 15 mpg in the city and maybe 18 on the highway. My 280S with webers was about the same. My pagoda, about the same. I'm guessing that the rule of thumb is that 6 cylinder gas SOHC Mercedes cars get 15 mpg. And they want premium. If this is an issue, drop a 5 cylinder turbo diesel in the 250 C.

#17 ·
I sent a message requesting a test drive on Friday and never heard back. Yesterday I watched the Jay Leno 600 video which rekindled the w108 interest. I messaged the seller of the silver w108, and it is now sold. Maybe saved my marriage. It was listed at $1700 and the seller said he would take $1250. I know where I could have gotten a bumper for $100. (But a mediocre paint job surely would have been $3000 plus my labor or more.) Maybe after I'm done with the w114 cars and other projects I will consider one again.

#20 ·
Neither one of these cars would have sipped gas. The carbureted models of this era using either the Zeniths or Solex were not known for economy.

I have owned 108s and a 250C, and I would say that they are very different from each other. The 108 is a bit more refined and elegant in my opinion, and the 114 more basic and plebeian.

That being said, my 250C was a blast to drive, even with an automatic. While it struggled to get into the mid teens on gas mileage, neither one of these cars would see MPG values better than that short of running downhill with the engine turned off....

I love the dual Zeniths, and will defend them to the end against their critics. The biggest problem with the Zeniths was people not willing to stick to the setup and adjustment procedures to the letter. Adjustments on Zeniths are progressive, that is, each step builds on the previous one, so you can't just go at them with a screwdriver to the mixture screw and expect them to run properly.

Dan

#21 ·
That's good, because now the 250c is my only option between these two cars.

A friend of mine works at a local MB restoration shop and also parts MBs for a living. He told me the w108 is having its drivetrain removed to be inserted into a less well maintained coupe. So I would have been looking at saving a car that will now be a parts car. Here are the two pics I received from my friend this morning. He knew this was the same car that I'd asked for a bumper for as soon as it arrived.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Mercedes-benz w111

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Classic car

#23 ·
The body would have been very easy to fix on this, and my contact offered me a rear bumper for next to nothing. It shocked me how inexpensive the bumper was going to be. We are "fiends" at this point though. He helps me. I help him. I have been shocked at both how much he asks for most parts (and also purchased parts from me), yet he gives me parts for free and sells them to me at next to nothing. I think he has found himself a very loyal friend. :D
In any case, the rear damage was honestly only a very minimal concern for me. I was confident that I would have been able to bang that out.

And as for the bumper distance from the body, are you an advocate of 5 mph bumpers of the 70's and 80's? I am personally on a mission to rid the world of big bumper w107s. Hideous!!! And what they did to w116 is even worse. What an abomination!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.