Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1970 250C- can't find correct muffler-help!

4K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  sandman 
#1 ·
I would greatly appreciate any help on leads for a muffler (resonator?) for this 1970 250C. This is not the larger cylindrical muffler by bumper in first picture, it's the other one closer to the engine. Car seems to be a euro model possibly the reason for the difficulty- see VIN plate. In MODEL section last digit is /8, even though this is a 6 cylinder. Problem is, this has 2 inlets and 2 outlet pipes- everything I've found so far is 2 on one end, and 1 outlet on other end. :(

Size is 13 1/4" length X 10" width X 4 1/2" thick. 4 inlets holes are 2" diameter.

Have all other pieces sourced, bent, and ready to install- very frustrating. Have others found a source for correct type, or gone with a muffler with a single outlet on one end, and adapted it with a "Y" pipe? :confused:
Danke! :grin

See less See more
#2 ·
I just dropped off my 1971 250 m130 sedan at the house of someone who has four+ w114 coupes. He's apparently a real guru in these, and told me that originally the rear muffler had two outlets, but MB replaced them with single outlet mufflers in ~1974 and the replacements for the older ones also came with single outlets. I don't know if this is all true, but it is what I was told today.

My two m130 coupes have only single outlets on the rear muffler, and they have nice solid replacement mufflers and tailpipes, stainless in one case. My white sedan still has dual outlet, but the exhaust is all rotted out and it sounds like a motorcycle.

Maybe the later replacements would explain your problem finding two-outlet resonators.

#4 ·
I appreciate the helpful reply, Fonzi. Apparently owners with two pipe inlets do just adapt with a "Y" fitting, there doesn't seem to be a choice from what you've just learned.

Where are you going to source the resonator and muffler when you go ahead and fix yours? Does the owner of the four W114s do your mechanical work, and does he have a good source for them- possibly Pelican Parts?

Thanks again for the help- I figured someone else must be dealing with this.

#5 ·
I appreciate the helpful reply, Fonzi. Apparently owners with two pipe inlets do just adapt with a "Y" fitting, there doesn't seem to be a choice from what you've just learned.

Where are you going to source the resonator and muffler when you go ahead and fix yours? Does the owner of the four W114s do your mechanical work, and does he have a good source for them- possibly Pelican Parts?

Thanks again for the help- I figured someone else must be dealing with this.

I will ask, but the guy doesn't have a cell phone or use the forums. It's basically a matter of getting him on his landline, or more likely getting him to call me. So I can't promise a speedy response.

I think the running white 1971 sedan with dual outlets is destined to be parted. The two of us are scheming over which parts we both want/need four out coupes.

#6 ·
Gotcha. Since you're in the PA area, hopefully the muffler on the sedan is not rusted out and had already been replaced. You'd be good to go, and not need to source a new replacement.

Again, thanks so much for the helpful replies- it seems to explain the reason why the dual outlet is not findable these days. Will be interesting to see what the W114 guru adds or confirms.

#7 ·
Sam came over and officially purchased the 1971 250 m130 w114 sedan from me today. He took a look at my coupes with me, and showed me in my parts book where the m110 cars got a single outlet resonator whereas the m130 cars had a dual outlet.

The custom stainless exhaust on my 1972 250c w114 m130 coupe has dual pipes all the way out the rear.

The apparently good exhaust on my blue 1970 250c w114 m130 coupe has only a single exhaust tip. Here are some pictures of the 1970 exhaust:

Passenger side looking back:
Vehicle Car Auto part Automotive exterior

From Passenger side showing old downpipes connected to new exhaust:
Automotive exhaust Auto part Pipe Exhaust system Muffler

From driver rear looking forward showing muffler (close) and the resonator (distance), with just one pipe between them.
Auto part Rust Exhaust system Tire Automotive wheel system

Sticker half off the rear muffler. Notice the "made in Belgium" sticker on the front of the muffler in the last picture.
Font

This was my closest look under the car to check the pipes. So I'm pleased to see the condition of this exhaust. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.