Date registered: May 2009
Vehicle: Ferguson TED-20 1956, Mercedes-Benz 220 S 1963, Valmet 502 1973, Mercedes-Benz S 500c 1996
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Here comes the first part of the AC install. Cruise control will follow eventually. The longest and most time consuming job of the three, but by no means the most difficult! Everything was pretty straightforward.
Here is the various options I considred:
Getting a OE-ish underdash unit (pic below) and convert it to R134a. This could be done, but seeing as the old units are extremely expensive even when they are in dire need of overhaul even in the cosmetic department, this option was discarded early.
Getting some kind of remote unit, mount it in the engine bay and then feed it into the ventilation via the existing vents. After discussing this with one of the many AC retrofit firms (could only find US-based ones) I understood that I needed to provide recirculation of the passenger compartment air, which in term increased Complexity, space requirements under the hood, controlling of valve flaps and so on. So I moved on...
Last the option was to get a universal underdash unit (this is what I finally used). I found out that many of the underdash units on the market were simply to big (most beeing to deep) to fit nicely. depending on how much protuding you find acceptable, and how much you want to cut in the interior (my goal was of course as little as possible), which landed me on a maximum depth of 10-11 inches
I finally found a unit at Nostalgic AC Parts that fit. What really closed the deal were that they proved to be extremely helpful and competent in answering my questions; I wanted to be really sure thart I could pull this off successfully, and that no unexpected things would stop me. After some mailing back and forth I placed the order for a complete kit (minus engine bracket) and an additional electric fan, and an expanded pressureswitch for activation of said fan.
As for enginge brackets and pulleys I decided to go the expensive way; I called up my spare part guy, and placed an order for the bracket kit. This set me back almost as much as the entire AC kit, but I am REALLY happy I didnt have to spend two days or so with fabricating a new bracket from scratch!
Everything just bolted on. I had to turn one hoseclamp on the thermostat housing slightly, nothing more.
Getting this of a junked car is alwas an option, but seeing how rare AC cars of this vintage seems to be these days, I just did not want to wait indefinetly. There were kits with a York compressor available, but with no crankshaft pulley, and possibly a bad idler pulley bearing, so that might have set me back just as much.
The pictures contain W111 coupe/cab OE-ish AC, all the AC stuff out of the box, and a look at the engine bay prior to the installation
(more details will of course follow)
Last edited by suktinis; 10-15-2014 at 11:51 PM.