1963 220 Sb - Careful modernization - Page 4 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-21-2015, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2009
Vehicle: Ferguson TED-20 1956, Mercedes-Benz 220 S 1963, Valmet 502 1973, Mercedes-Benz S 500c 1996
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I also managed to integrate fully functional Daytime Running Lights, which are on when the ignition is, but dims down for low beam, or even the turn signal. Now I really can't wait until spring arrives!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc_2424.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	1683273  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 04:29 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 1965 220SE sedan (finnie) with 450SE conversion, 1964 220SE coupe project, 1966 300SE coupe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Geez, you have done well!
Tell me please, what do you mean by roll angle? Is that being able to rotate the light fitting relative to the base plate, say from 12 o'clock position to 1 o'clock position?
And for a non-aviation whizz, what was involved on the electrical side of things? Any wiring diagram to indicate what you did?
Cheers, Drew
post #33 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 05:06 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: Ferguson TED-20 1956, Mercedes-Benz 220 S 1963, Valmet 502 1973, Mercedes-Benz S 500c 1996
(Thread Starter)
Yes! Rotating it with regards to the baseplate (like you mentioned from the 12 'til 1 o'clock position for instance) is a much better way of explaining it!

I have been doing the wiring in increments, so I dont have a big master wiring diagram, but if you are interested I can sketch something together?

Functionwise I've also added hazard warning lights apart from the DRL funtionality. I order for this to work with the least amount of alterations to the original harness I used about 10 standard automotive relays and three turn signal relays.

this is by no mean the most effective way of doing all these things wireing-wise ((at least half of the relays should be possible to make do without) but avoiding cutting into the original harness as much as possible required a few workarounds.

If anyone is really interested I would gladly provide a full wireing diagram, which should be usefull in just about any car prior to the microprocessor era!
post #34 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 03:28 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Vehicle: 1965 220SE sedan (finnie) with 450SE conversion, 1964 220SE coupe project, 1966 300SE coupe
Yeah, that would be great to get a wiring diagram. I am just about to do the wiring over Christmas holidays for my W111 coupe so that is perfect timing to get hazard lights on it. Though I will keep it with the classic tombstone lights - the US style ones would be for my W112 coupe project.
Cheers, Drew
post #35 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Will you be redoing the entire wireing or just some select parts of it? I might just as well design the schematic from scratch so that it suits you better.

There is no real sense in having 3 turn signal relays the way I do, unless it means that you can avoid cutting intor the wire harness
post #36 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 03:35 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

I have the wiring harness completely out of the car at the moment, so it is easier to splice things in if required. For my V8 finnie, I started with a W108 6 cylinder harness (as that had hazard lights already built in, as well as the electric window washer wiring) and then grafted the K-jet wiring and after market A/C in. I also changed the dash so made the loom for the new instruments I put in. So a bit of soldering and re-taping looms up. I can't say I understood what all the various electrical bits do on the car, but I can follow a 'map' so to speak.

This coupe is changing from an auto 220SE to a manual 280SE with power windows and a tow bar so there is a little bit of wiring to do.
Cheers, Drew
post #37 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew56cus View Post
I have the wiring harness completely out of the car at the moment, so it is easier to splice things in if required. For my V8 finnie, I started with a W108 6 cylinder harness (as that had hazard lights already built in, as well as the electric window washer wiring) and then grafted the K-jet wiring and after market A/C in. I also changed the dash so made the loom for the new instruments I put in. So a bit of soldering and re-taping looms up. I can't say I understood what all the various electrical bits do on the car, but I can follow a 'map' so to speak.

This coupe is changing from an auto 220SE to a manual 280SE with power windows and a tow bar so there is a little bit of wiring to do.
Cheers, Drew
Ok, that makes it easier to do things really pretty. Do you have any particular switch you would like to use for the hazards?

Also, I'm guessing you might want a relay setup for the trailer lights?

But most importantly, do you want to incorporate any kind or drl functionality? Cruise control maybe?

Skickat från min D5803 via Tapatalk
post #38 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015, 06:47 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Hi there!
I used the W108 hazard switch for my V8 finnie, but it has some sort of flasher unit built into it. As long as a finnie-style knob can be put on then I am not fussed. Although, I could just have a modern rocker switch hidden under the dash that is not visible. So I am not too fussy.
Hmm, drl - does that mean daytime running lights? I guess that depends on the complexity of incorporating it! It is a nice-to-have for me, not essential.
As for cruise control, the car that I will do this to will get a 2000 E55 AMG motor probably with a manual trans. I wouldn't want a stalk off the steering column so what are the alternatives for controls for it? Sorry to be clumsy in answering your questions with questions, but I will have to do some research as to what is possible and how to make things look neat.
I have never used a relay for trailer lights - I just graft the trailer plug wires into the tail light looms.
Cheers, Drew
post #39 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-28-2015, 01:09 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Do you by any chance have a wiring diagram with that flasher-unit-switch incorporated? Im guessing there are more than just two pins/connectors?

Unless it's the only way I would really advise against having the switch hidden under the dash (at least the hazard). I have mine there and I found it to be difficult to reach fast during heavy braking (such as an accident on the freeway or simular). But on the other hand, the 'visible' part of the dashboard is not really that ergonomic either...

yes, daytime running lights. the wiring is not really that complex, but if you're unsure weather it will be needed in the future the only thing that would be good to do while the harness is out is to run a few wires to the engine compartment and back from the jack which connects the the turn signal stalk (should you need it, you can add relays and the other stuff later, but have a functionwise original harness in the mean time)

Basically all that you need for the C.C. is a switch that goes four ways, all springloaded. I first toyed with the idea to have a knob (of the same kind as the others) on the dashboard that was springloaded in and out, and left and right turn, on order to get the four postions of the control column stalk.
If i remember correctlu the C.C. stalk on the E55 is also a four-way switch? They might have done the signaling bit differently, but if you only kan get those four position's (five including the rest position) it should come together somewhat easy. Some kind of hidden switch should work for this as well!

Yeah well you can splice in the trailer lights directly to the regular wiring, but if you have a short on the trailer and the fuse blows, you'll lose your lights on the car too!
I'd say it's more of a safety thing, you might blow a fuse for the lighting on the trailer, but your car's lighting still works fine at least!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in