Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

In need of W114 coupe window seals

6K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  snebcb@embarqmail.com 
#1 ·
Hello, I have a 1972 250c with bad front and rear window seals. I cant seem to find any. Does anyone know where I can buy a pair? Any help will be greatly appreciated. :|

#4 ·
Those are reproduction. In general, front and rear seals from MB are going to fit better and work better than the reproductions. Lots of MB sources ranging from the Classic Center to any of the on-line dealerships who offer significant discount.

Front windscreen gasket: A1156701039
Rear windscreen gasket: A1156700839 replaced by A1156701239

front is MSRP $208, online $154
rear is MSRP $142, online $105

If you google trademotion mercedes you will find several on-line MB dealerships that sell parts on the web. When you put in the part number to check price do not include the "A".

#6 ·
Those are reproduction. In general, front and rear seals from MB are going to fit better and work better than the reproductions.
Yyyyyyeahhhhhh.... Is this to say that Stuttgart has a 108/109/107/111/114 assembly line open, and is still reproducing gaskets for the old beasts? Or might we better conclude that someone produces parts in accordance with Mercedes standards of sealing black rubberiness, and that the dealership/classic center buys from them as well?

I question any statement that includes "only the dealership" ... I've had nothing but frustration and emptied wallets when dealing with the dealership, and I've tried them with a 111, a 114 and a 108. Aftermarket parts, from rings to window gaskets, have been just as good as "OEM."

Look at it this way - the car in question is 40 years old or so, and probably has the standard, factory-supplied gaskets, using recipes 40 or more years old. The stuff today is of higher quality and from better understood methods and recipes and will last as long as you own the car.

#5 ·
Also if you buy from the classic center they will probably give you 10% or 15% off MSRP but they will charge you sales tax if you live in California. You will come of way better buying from an out-of-state on-line MB dealer.

#8 ·
I made no mention of the trim, just the gasket.

A little research will show whom mercedes buys their aftermarket stuff from. You go to the distributor directly and avoid a 200% mark up. Just that easy. Another option is to see who the installer guys use.

#9 ·
...yes, and one of the problems is that with gaskets that ALSO have a grove for trim, such as the windshield gaskets on these cars, the grove for the trim is WRONG. So the trim doesn't go in correctly. Then someone tries to make it work. Then the trim gets bent. Then things go really shitty. Then you start over with the OE gasket and someone who knows what they are doing.

The use of OEM front and rear windshield gaskets is a well-documented recommendation not coming from me so much as from the research I have done on this topic. SPEND THE EXTRA MONEY for these two parts. You will probably find similar opinions about door gaskets, but the ramifications of them not fitting are not as great. Trunk gaskets are pretty easy so they don't matter as much for sourcing.

There are LOTS of things that you don't need to buy OEM. This is not one of them. Particularly given that for this car the price for OEM is not prohibitive. Compare it to the price for all of the door / window seals for a 114 coupe which gets into a lot of money....

#10 ·
It is widely known that the URO windshield gaskets do not fit.

Your presumption that modern rubber formulations are somehow better is flawed. Anyone who has installed aftermarket rubber parts can confirm that the rubber simply doesn't last. This is particularly true in areas with high ground-level ozone such as California. I've had Meyle "Germany" (often NOT made there) rubber underhood bits with lots of cracks in six months. Now I just skip the crap and buy genuine.

The "dealer" prices are scandalous, often 100% higher than the Classic Centre.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#11 ·
The "dealer" prices are scandalous, often 100% higher than the Classic Centre.
FWIW,

a) From a technical standpoint, The Classic Center IS a Mercedes Benz dealership.

b) Each dealership sets their own retail pricing. MBUSA has a MSRP for every single part and the dealer may charge that price, more than that price, or less than that price.

c) My "local" Pasadena dealership tended to charge about 30% over MSRP

d) The Classic Center typically discounts MSRP 10% or 15% (don't remember which) for members of MBCA, although I'm not sure that they actually check that.

e) Classic Center (typically) ships by FedEx and doesn't add a premium to that. You pay a fair shipping price.

f) As with any dealership, if you order parts and live in the state of the dealership, you will pay sales tax for that state. So I live in Pasadena and the Classic Center is in California also, so if I buy from the Classic Center I will get a discount off MSRP and pay sales tax (10%) and FedEx shipping.

g) The Classic Center has more old parts in stock, but like any dealership, much of what you order will come from one of several distribution warehouses in the United States. For parts not in the United States, they will come from Germany. You do not pay extra shipping for the part's delivery to the dealership regardless of where it is shipped from.

h) If you google "trademotion mercedes" you will find links to numerous MB Dealerships that sell at discount. South Atlanta, Ft. Lauderdale, ... It may not immediately be obvious to you that the page you land on is in fact a dealership, but it is. THIS IS HOW YOU FIND OUT A PRICE OF A PART. The trademotion software lets you put in a part number (omit the leading "A") and it returns both the MSRP and the "on-line" price. My experience says that MSRP is always identical from various dealer sites. My experience also says that the "on-line" price is different for various sites, ranging from a slight discount to a very significant discount. You can't assume that a single on-line dealer will always be the cheapest. I often use Discount Mercedes-Benz Parts which is Mercedes-Benz of South Atlanta, although unless you dig a little, you won't see that.

i) Trademotion sites need a part number to be useful. If you don't have a part number then learn about using EPC.

j) Trademotion sites will bring up no prices for certain part numbers that are NLA. Trademotion sites will bring up prices for some items that are NLA also. You don't know for sure if the part is actually available but if you order it then you can call and talk to someone who will let you know. If you don't do that you will get an email in a day or two saying that the part is NLA.

k) My "personal philosophy" regarding utilization of discount parts dealers is that if I need a consult with the classic center to understand something, I'm going to buy the part from them rather than get the free info and then buy elsewhere. If I've done my own homework then I'll buy on-line from someplace cheaper.

That is my information about how to buy OEM parts from a dealer at a reasonable savings. DONE.

Scott

#12 ·
I have 71 250C and the previous owner installed aftermarket side windows gasket (not for the front and rear windshield).

All I can say is that they are garbage and don't allow the doors to close with that mercedes "thumb" because they stick too much.

Does anyone know what are the part number for the side gaskets and where can I buy them from?
Price info would help too.

Thank you.

#13 ·
Do you mean the door gaskets for a 114 coupe?
I don't know what you mean when you say that they don't allow the doors to close with that Mercedes "Thumb". Thumb? Stick way too much? Please elaborate.

If you replace your door gaskets the door will be harder to close for some time, or so I've observed on my Pagoda.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.