Safely arrived home! Where should I start? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2010
Vehicle: 2001 ML55 AMG, 2001 ML320, 1986 190E 2.3 16v, 1995 E320 Convertible, 1995 E320 Wagon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Safely arrived home! Where should I start?

After a long trip, i finally arrived home with a new toy. It will be my project for next couple of months. To be honest, I restored many American cars even though i had lots of benzs. On this one i want to use my hands on it. I know it is not extremely rare vehicle, but i know it is original and slept very long time. I have all the documents, original spare and tools etc. Please feel free and give your opinions. I bought as a non running car, lots of bad fuel smell from the tank. Should i drain before try to turn the engine or should i try to crank it with starter fluid? Brake reservoir has full fluids in it but definitely there is no brake at all. Please look at the pictures below and i will include more when i start to clean it tomorrow.
Thanks and God Bless You All.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 10:05 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2006
Vehicle: 73 280SE 4.5, 71 300SEL, 03 BMW Z4, 72 Fiat 850, 80 Triumph TR7, 85 Porsche 911
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Grubeguy Send a message via Yahoo to Grubeguy
Get rid of the gas and replace with new stuff. Blow out the fuel lines too, if you can.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-30-2014, 12:06 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2006
Vehicle: 73 280SE 4.5, 71 300SEL, 03 BMW Z4, 72 Fiat 850, 80 Triumph TR7, 85 Porsche 911
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Grubeguy Send a message via Yahoo to Grubeguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by saleen351 View Post
I know it is not extremely rare vehicle, but i know it is original and slept very long time. I have all the documents, original spare and tools etc.
Uhhhhh, no, not quite. It's not in the same category as a Bugatti, a gullwing or the car Hitler rode around in, but it's rare enough, has acres of chrome and is unusual enough that you'll get waves, thumbs up, nods and stares. I'm envious of someone starting over with a project car, to be honest

If I can impart one piece of advice, it would be to do research, use the CLassic Center as a last resort, and there's NOTHING wrong with "non Mercedes" parts. Your car is a carb'ed 6 cylinder, right? Mine has the d-jetronic fuel injection system, made by Bosch, and I was given a load of hate and affrontery that I was contemplating using a manifold pressure sensor out of a porsche (both share the same Bosch fuel system). You'll find a ton of aftermarket stuff for sale all over the place, and a lot of us have experience with what might ail you and yours.

If the car were mine, I'd clean out the interior from top to bottom to see if I wanted to replace anything in it. I'd do the same with the exterior, and learn every crease, fold and hazy/grey/rusty spot in the body. Look for rust, if you haven't already and start the plan of attack to get the thing on the road.

Regarding the fuel, again, toss it out in whatever legal way salves your conscience, and make sure ALL the old gas is gone. I wouldn't even use it to see if starter fluid will get the thing cranked over. If your carb is salvageable, crappy gas might end up gumming the thing up.

Once you start needing tech advice, look at the Online Resources portion of the forum - we've posted a ton of tech articles up over the years, and I have more. Let me know if something specific comes up as needed and I'll see about posting it up.

Good luck, drink a beer or two as you get into the thing
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-30-2014, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: 2001 ML55 AMG, 2001 ML320, 1986 190E 2.3 16v, 1995 E320 Convertible, 1995 E320 Wagon
(Thread Starter)
Thank you for your advice. I really appreciate. I will start drinking and cleaning first tomorrow and post some pictures during the process. I am really happy to have a large community and professional people who share their knowledge with me. Thanks again and have a great weekend.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-30-2014, 01:09 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2013
Vehicle: 2002 SL600 Silver Arrow, 1966 300SE Cabriolet, 2009 Smart Cabriolet
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Although you can get lucky with some "non Mercedes" parts and get exactly the same
part for less you are rolling the dice. Just because the part is made by the same supplier
doesn't mean it is the same. I've seen "non Mercedes" motor mounts and various rubber
parts fail in two or three years while the same genuine Mercedes parts would last years
longer. One more thing: when you buy your parts from the Classic Center or a dealer you
get a warranty which you will not get if you purchase parts elsewhere.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2014, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Ok. I have some news. Cleaned all the interior of the vehicle today. Removed seats, pressure wash original carpets etc. I found many coins and receipt under the seats dated in the 70s. It seems that car was not run for a long time. I put new battery removed the plug wires and wanted to turn the engine. Starter just clicked. I put 27 mm socket to the crank pulley and tried to turn but no success. Could it be seized or rings were locked? If it is seized, should i get a new engine or rebuilt the original? Any suggestions? Thanks

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2014, 07:46 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Sep 2012
Vehicle: 300sel W109, 280S 70 , 220s 62. 230 66. Lancia Flavia 63.Pininfarina
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Nice buy and worth restoring it correctly ,have you put penetrating fuid/atf in bores?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2014, 09:20 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Mar 2014
Vehicle: 1968 280se, 1972 280se 4.5, Land Rover disco II, Triumph Thruxton, Triumph Tiger. +boring Chevy Van
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
+1 what adler suggested. I recently bought a 4.5 that was not run for about 10 years. first off i removed all the plugs and filled the bores with mystery oil and left it for a few days. ( mine was not seized) but im sure this would give you a fighting chance. As recommended also said get rid of the gas. When i did mine i could not believe how bad it smelled Also remove and replace the fuel filter. I also have a 6cyl 2.8 which i changed out the other week and was blown away at the amount of sludge in the bottom of the fuel filter canister.
You may want to pull the fuel tank as well for a good cleaning. I did mine this weekend and it again had a lot of loose rust and dirt in there you would not want going through you fuel system. it was not hard at all to remove. Check the lower tank screen and remove the sender unit so you can have a good look around in there. You will, im sure need a new screen and gaskets etc for both.
Check out this video on how i cleaned the tank
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...type=2&theater
Good luck keep us all posted.
Cheers John.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Thank you for all the help. I've just installed the carpets which i cleaned today. I guess i need front original carpets if there are any. (Any suggestion?). My buddy told me to remove all the belts and try to turn the engine again. He said ac compressor may be bad. What do you think? Thank you again for sharing the video to clean the tank. Will do it this sunday. Tomorrow i will remove the plugs, put some atf or mystery oil and let it sit for a night. Even though i get it turned, should i send carbs to rebuild or try to start with the currents first? Any body good at rebuilding those carbs in the country? Suggestions please.
Thank you and have a great weekend.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 10:19 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Sep 2012
Vehicle: 300sel W109, 280S 70 , 220s 62. 230 66. Lancia Flavia 63.Pininfarina
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Zenith 35-40 inat carbs are a bit temperamental till setup correctly, then are very reliable ,mostly problem is tampering with setup and balance or clogged idle jets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in