Compensator spring relacement. - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-11-2014, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Apr 2013
Vehicle: 1964 Unimog 406, 1967 230S Fintail.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Compensator spring relacement.

Hi All
I replaced the Hydromat on my 230s Fintail the other day with one of those spring kits supplied by Febi Bilstein, I have read on here that it can be a bit of a struggle to wrestle the bolts in so I wanted to relate my method. I got the Hydromat unit off quite easily and it had pretty much lost any spring and the cars backside had been pretty low with a fair bit of negative camber, so I cleaned up the diff and offered up the spring and bracket and even with the right axle detached from the shock and drooping down the bracket seemed a mile off from the bolt holes and the spring is very stiff indeed. I got out my spring compressors and quickly realized that they would not fit between the coils of the compensator spring, I then noted an 8mm hole in the centre of the spring pedestal on the bolt on bracket and had a brainwave, I drilled the hole out to 10mm and bought a section of 10mm studding and some deep 10mm nuts, the studding was poked through the centre of the spring and bracket and then through the eye on the top of the differential using the large washer that is used in the same position with the Hydromat, I then just wound the studding up compressing the spring assembly about an inch and a half . I then jacked the right axle up until the bolt holes in the bracket and axle lined up, I had to pull the spring assembly down slightly but overall it was very straight forward with no swearing or skinned knuckles and most importantly no crossed threads.
Once the car was back on the ground I rolled it back and forth a few times and it looks pretty good as far as ride height is concerned, its maybe a little high at the back but its probably got more to do with being used to seeing the overly low ride height than a problem with the spring kit and I will take a closer look at it once I have replaced the tired front subframe mounts and made sure the shocks and things are ok, Bill.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-11-2014, 03:22 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member
Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 1965 220SE sedan (finnie) with 450SE conversion, 1964 220SE coupe project, 1966 300SE coupe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Gee you went to a lot of trouble for something that is pretty easy but at least it worked for you. This is what I do:
- have the cars rear up on jack stands so the suspension is drooping. You can detach the shocks at the bottom if you want more droop.
- There is a bracket on the right hand side (viewed from the rear) that holds the compensating spring - put the top bolt in (loosely) so the bracket pivots about it
- Put a jack under the bottom of the bracket so that when the jack is raised, the bracket pivots about the inserted bolt and moves into position.
- Now with the jack down, put the left end of the spring into the left hand bracket. Then pivot the right bracket up until it meets the right end of the spring
- Raise the jack so it starts pushing the bracket to the spring, pivoting around the bolt
- Move a bit further away and jack some more until the bottom bolt hole is lined up with the hole, then pop that bolt in and you are done.

Hope that read ok, it is tricky writing from memory with no pictures but I am away from home so can't just duck out and take a photo.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-11-2014, 06:27 PM
Premium Member
Date registered: Nov 2012
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Premium Member
just install spring in with one bolt at bracket , then swivel bracket up some , tighten bolt , bracket should stay put , use a bottle jack , or floor jack with a wood spacer , then push bracket up , and install bolt number 2 , you are done .when you are doing this , you should have the right shock absorber disconnected . now if car seat too high at rear , remove the 2 rubber spacers at compensator spring . grease the end of the spring .
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: