Date registered: Apr 2011
Vehicle: W211 | W108
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question Blinkers and Horn Issues

so i have been having a couple problems with my 108

1st

every time i turned the wheel a quarter turn to the right the horn would honk, i googled it and it seemed like a pretty common problem. shifter bushings?

so today i pulled my steering wheel, once i got the wheel off i noticed that one of the wires were loose, actually completely off (brown) wire. so i connected it back thinking that this was the cause. so i connected it and put the wheel back on, as soon as i turned the key to accessories the horn just keeps going off one continuous honk.

i tried to trouble shoot the best i could, ultimately i ended up complete disconnecting the wires from the ring, but i still get the same result. one continuous honk. because of this i figured that it must be something farther down the column. i pulled the hub off and turn the key, no honk. i tightened the bolts down and the honk came back.

does this mean i need to change the bushing farther down the column? if so, does anyone know which bushing it is and where it is located?

i got this far, but can't seem to get any further?

2nd

my turn signals don't seem to stay on when i switch them on, i have to hold and if i let go slowly it'll hold... sometimes. someone told me that i need to get down the lever and file down a section so there is a more defined groove.

is the place i want to file down the inner grooves in between the spring posts?

help as always is really appreciated, thanks

W211 '03 E320 | W108 '72 280SEL 4.5

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014, 09:16 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2012
Vehicle: 1988 300ce 1973 280sel 1995 E420 1998 E320
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
That's funny on the horn. I just had that problem with mine. Woke up all the neighbors at 8AM on a Saturday.

I removed and cleaned the horn ring - it was getting stuck and making contact. If you tap the horn while it's blaring you'll see.

The combination switch however is something I had to replace. I think the plastic bushing inside wear out - I don't know of a fix for this. I got another at the junk yard - 108s are hard to find nowadays but early 114s also use the same switch.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2014, 08:00 AM
Premium Member

Date registered: Nov 2012
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Premium Member
the 2 plastic bushings at top under the clip needs replacing , dont remove the plate , i see the screws are out . if you look at the turn signal switch , you see 2 semi round spots that suppose to hold the lever in tut=rn position , the fix is to [ with a small round file ] deepen those spots .dont over do it , or the lever will stay stuck and break .use grease after .
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2014, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2011
Vehicle: W211 | W108
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by knapster View Post
That's funny on the horn. I just had that problem with mine. Woke up all the neighbors at 8AM on a Saturday.

I removed and cleaned the horn ring - it was getting stuck and making contact. If you tap the horn while it's blaring you'll see.

The combination switch however is something I had to replace. I think the plastic bushing inside wear out - I don't know of a fix for this. I got another at the junk yard - 108s are hard to find nowadays but early 114s also use the same switch.
so all you did was clean the copper ring under the hub?

Quote:
Originally Posted by agillot View Post
the 2 plastic bushings at top under the clip needs replacing , dont remove the plate , i see the screws are out . if you look at the turn signal switch , you see 2 semi round spots that suppose to hold the lever in tut=rn position , the fix is to [ with a small round file ] deepen those spots .dont over do it , or the lever will stay stuck and break .use grease after .
sorry i don't see the bushings you are talking about, are you referring to this piece?

i pulled the larger c clamp in the center but there is another i can't get off, but you are saying i don't need to go any further correct? i noticed the barrings and everything under the hub had lot of junk/dirt in it, is that normal?

and is there where i file the grooves deeper? just want to make sure i know exactly where i am doing this, someone also told me if they are too deep they won't auto cancel?

thanks for the info!

W211 '03 E320 | W108 '72 280SEL 4.5

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-11-2014, 10:51 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2011
Vehicle: 1973 220D
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yes - exactly there on the turn signal. Make them a bit deeper. remember you can take it out and try again if you didn't go deep enough but you can't undo too much filing.

Also you can file it once or twice but eventually you will have to replace the whole thing and it's kind of pricy - over $100 as I recall but you can get it new. I would also recommend if you cannot repair this one getting a new one because any used one you get would likely have the same issue.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-12-2014, 07:11 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2012
Vehicle: 1968 250S, 1991 300se, 1998 SL500, 2x 1977 450SEL 6.9. Past MB's; 300SD, 300E, 300TE, 190E, ML420
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Garage
I used a dremel with a 1/8" wheel, just a touch in the spots indicated and it will work again. make a new dent for the pin to catch on.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-13-2014, 09:37 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2012
Vehicle: 1967 250S, twin Weber carbs, automatic trans, power windows, A/C, R134a conversion
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm having a similar problem with my horn system. When I place the steering column lever in Park the horn sometimes beeps. So I took the steering wheel assembly off and cleaned out the debris that was below. It did not solve the problem.

When looking at the provided photo why does the button located in the 3 PM position come up when setting the Park Lever? It seems this is what pushes up the contact ring and honks the horn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in