BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Apr 2014
Vehicle: Mercedes
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Mercedes 170V

1953 Mercedes-Benz 170 Project

Anyone have one, and if so how to they drive on open road.

Top speed?

Never dabbled with Prewar cars, which this looks to be despite the year.

w126 Left euro headlight, Someone that can refinish my wood in Grey woodgrain
Helpful Positive responses, Negativity Keep quiet
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 11:11 AM
BenzWorld Extremist
Date registered: Jan 2012
Vehicle: 1989 560 SL - Signal Red & Palomino; 2011 C-300 - Black on Black 4MATIC
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Cannot speak from persnal experience however I have researched these as a couple projects were available locally some months back -

1) Expect Model A like performance (I have had a lot of American prewar cars - essentially the 170 is a flat four simillar in design and HP as the 40 HP Model A engine.) So not a highway car and in some settings, could struggle in traffic. These were designed for European back roads not the Autobahn. 40 - 45 mph on top end.

2) Postwar examples of the 170 are very simillar to the prewar car but little or no structural wood in the body which looked simillar but was in fact different after production resumed postwar. A plus as I do not believe wood kits are available for these. Go with the postwar car if you get serious. Here is a website devoted to these:

3) Here is the big one and this came from a buddy who owns a bigger chassis prewar MB; many of the suspension parts and such are shared with pricier MB models like his, and therefore are very expensive. Not much is available for these from parts vendors.

4) Harry Magno I believe, out f MA knows these cars and restores many. I would get contact info for him from my buddy via PM if you get serious, if you cannot find via google.

5) For postwar, if you can swing/find the 220 it is a much better car in terms or roadability.

At the end of the day these seem comparable in price for a real nice car as a Bentley R Type but not as powerful and a more limited market. They do carry a lot of style queues simillar to the larger cars though - great for the fan of larger early MB but not able to spend the cost of a nice house on a hobby car. That said, an open 170 is worth a not so small fortune these days, I think the sedans are likely where they will be for a long time though.

Gullwing in NY & Bev hills Car club usually have one or two hanging around in inventory.

1989 Mercedes 560 SL
1930 Ford A Roadster
1914 Ford T Speedster

Last edited by OldWorldShepherds; 06-11-2014 at 11:23 AM. Reason: added info
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: