Difference between the Fintails w111 220 S/SE and 230 S/SE - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Aug 2011
Vehicle: w111, 220 SE, automatic, 1964
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Difference between the Fintails w111 220 S/SE and 230 S/SE

Hi, Im new to the forum as Im currently looking for a fintail w111 220 S/SE (sedan) or a 230 S/SE. Ive browsed the net and looked in various literature to figure out the difference between generation 1 and 2 of these fintails, however not found anything else that the engine is different (obvious ) and the front door trim the door pockets - are different. Some time ago I think I figured out that the 230 S/SE has less trim than the 220 S/SE but not been able to find it again.
Hope anyone can provide some input of the different between these two models or main difference apart from what mentioned above.

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 01:23 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member
Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 1965 220SE sedan (finnie) with 450SE conversion, 1964 220SE coupe project, 1966 300SE coupe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Hi, I think you want this page - The 200, 200D, 230 and 230S models
The W111 finnies had a few phases through their life. I will do my best here but hopefully others can add to it.
- early ones in 1959 had torsion bars for the bonnet and boot, and wood trim on the doors, and a different front axle/crossmember. This was short lived before springs, metal trim, and revised axle came in.
- at some stage the 220S carbs changed from twin solex to twin zeniths
- the cars had drum brakes all around as standard until mid-'63 when they got the front disc brakes.
- in '65, the W108 series was coming out. The 220SE and 220S was dropped. The 220S became the 230S. The 230S lost some of the wood inside, particularly around the door glass. The 230S also only had the twin zenith carbs - there was no fuel injected 230SE model (only the W113 pagoda got an injected 230 engine - the 230SL).
- in around '68, when the W111's were close to the end of their life, the interior got updates to things like the inner door handles, steering column and wheel, and I think seat belts and mirrors more like the W114. Some consider these late cars to be the best.
There are all sorts of opinions on what is best (FI vs carbs, solex vs zenith vs weber) - all I know is that a well maintained and non-rusty car of any variety is better than a clapped out rust bucket.
Happy hunting, Drew
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: