3 little (w114) Piggies m130 - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
w108,107 Parts Hoarder
 
Fonzi's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jun 2010
Vehicle: 4Keep:450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500seAMG 2sell:500sl92 380se83 300se86 350sl4sp 75slc MorInSig
Location: Philadelphia Area
Posts: 18,784
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1625 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR.EUROCAR View Post
Beautiful collection there. Two w114 coupes is awesome in any condition. I taught myself how to weld on the w114 coupe. Great car for that especially with what you have, does not seem that bad at all.



With the mold though, you might have to strip the seats completely to dry them out and treat them, which is actually not that bad of a job.



Great vehicles regardless

Thanks for the comments from a guy that knows.

Apparently it's going to cost me about another $300 to get the titles for these cars. The blue title will cost me $100, but I'm not sure I should bring that one back. However, it might come in handy, so I guess I should just pay up and get it. The the seller asked for $650 for the last time around, and I never haggle at these prices, but I did want to leave some incentive for these sellers to get the titles to me. So $600 for the blue and $650 for the black were the asking prices, and I dragged the vehicles home with Bills of Sale for $500 each. That seems to be the magic number for these low cost w114 cars. The white one was $500 for the car, and an extra $100 for the chrome 5x4.5/4.75/5 wire wheels that I was able to sell for $550 including selling off the extra wheel parts (net $50 for car plus trailering costs).

So I've driven a w114 sedan with a bad accelerator pump, but I have yet to drive the coupes, as I haven't even made an effort to turn the engines.

Dr. Eurocar's love for the w114 coupe has me wondering if I will feel like I'm cooler when I am driving a funky old coupe. So I'm starting to think that rather than fixing body work, I should clean out the fuel tanks and get the coupes mobile again.

Which first? Well, the black one is parked in front. I guess cleaning that tank, and putting trans cooler lines and some usable hoses on the car will be step one.

Any suggestions on whether I should make the car run before wasting money on fluids? Perhaps some compression tests first?

Hmm... Gotta get working on these.




Sent from AutoGuide.com App

.

My signature:
Click for list of my 32 MB since 2010. If, you want 70's-80's Mercedes tuner wheels, let me know.
Fonzi is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
w108,107 Parts Hoarder
 
Fonzi's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jun 2010
Vehicle: 4Keep:450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500seAMG 2sell:500sl92 380se83 300se86 350sl4sp 75slc MorInSig
Location: Philadelphia Area
Posts: 18,784
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1625 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Oh... mold... I sincerely think it is just the start of some smells, not real mold on those seats. A good cleaning and some days with the windows open and in the sun should help.

I've been in cars that smelled much worse.






Sent from AutoGuide.com App

.

My signature:
Click for list of my 32 MB since 2010. If, you want 70's-80's Mercedes tuner wheels, let me know.
Fonzi is offline  
post #13 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 06:12 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
dgosh28's Avatar
 
Date registered: Oct 2011
Vehicle: '71 250, '78 450SLC 5.0, '78 450SL, '81 380SLC 5.6, '89 260E, '15 Kia Sorento
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 5,169
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzi View Post
Thanks for the comments from a guy that knows.

Apparently it's going to cost me about another $300 to get the titles for these cars. The blue title will cost me $100, but I'm not sure I should bring that one back. However, it might come in handy, so I guess I should just pay up and get it. The the seller asked for $650 for the last time around, and I never haggle at these prices, but I did want to leave some incentive for these sellers to get the titles to me. So $600 for the blue and $650 for the black were the asking prices, and I dragged the vehicles home with Bills of Sale for $500 each. That seems to be the magic number for these low cost w114 cars. The white one was $500 for the car, and an extra $100 for the chrome 5x4.5/4.75/5 wire wheels that I was able to sell for $550 including selling off the extra wheel parts (net $50 for car plus trailering costs).

So I've driven a w114 sedan with a bad accelerator pump, but I have yet to drive the coupes, as I haven't even made an effort to turn the engines.

Dr. Eurocar's love for the w114 coupe has me wondering if I will feel like I'm cooler when I am driving a funky old coupe. So I'm starting to think that rather than fixing body work, I should clean out the fuel tanks and get the coupes mobile again.

Which first? Well, the black one is parked in front. I guess cleaning that tank, and putting trans cooler lines and some usable hoses on the car will be step one.

Any suggestions on whether I should make the car run before wasting money on fluids? Perhaps some compression tests first?

Hmm... Gotta get working on these.




Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Try to get them running from a gas can before you think about pulling the tank. I was surprised at how easily I got mine running. Dr. Eurocar provided the encouragement and he was correct. These cars appear to be very robust.
dgosh28 is offline  
post #14 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
w108,107 Parts Hoarder
 
Fonzi's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jun 2010
Vehicle: 4Keep:450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500seAMG 2sell:500sl92 380se83 300se86 350sl4sp 75slc MorInSig
Location: Philadelphia Area
Posts: 18,784
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1625 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgosh28 View Post
Try to get them running from a gas can before you think about pulling the tank. I was surprised at how easily I got mine running. Dr. Eurocar provided the encouragement and he was correct. These cars appear to be very robust.

So do you use the fuel pump when doing this?

If so, is there an easy location to disconnect a fuel hose and drop it in a gas can?

I have not looked much lower than the fuel filter and taking note of the location of the fuel pump itself. I have not noted where the fuel supply line is located.







Sent from AutoGuide.com App

.

My signature:
Click for list of my 32 MB since 2010. If, you want 70's-80's Mercedes tuner wheels, let me know.
Fonzi is offline  
post #15 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
w108,107 Parts Hoarder
 
Fonzi's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jun 2010
Vehicle: 4Keep:450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500seAMG 2sell:500sl92 380se83 300se86 350sl4sp 75slc MorInSig
Location: Philadelphia Area
Posts: 18,784
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1625 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
3 little (w114) Piggies m130

Edit: Pros-Cons moved to Post 1

.

My signature:
Click for list of my 32 MB since 2010. If, you want 70's-80's Mercedes tuner wheels, let me know.

Last edited by Fonzi; 05-22-2014 at 07:44 PM.
Fonzi is offline  
post #16 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014, 05:51 AM
BenzWorld Elite
 
dgosh28's Avatar
 
Date registered: Oct 2011
Vehicle: '71 250, '78 450SLC 5.0, '78 450SL, '81 380SLC 5.6, '89 260E, '15 Kia Sorento
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 5,169
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzi View Post
So do you use the fuel pump when doing this?

If so, is there an easy location to disconnect a fuel hose and drop it in a gas can?

I have not looked much lower than the fuel filter and taking note of the location of the fuel pump itself. I have not noted where the fuel supply line is located.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App


The good news is these cars are much easier to work on than a 107. The fuel pump is mechanical and it is on the left side, just behind and below the battery. Disconnect the rubber fuel line entering the fuel pump and put a new line on and then stick the remaining end, the one that will eventually go to the fuel filter, into the gas can. You will probably need some starter fluid initially to get the car to start if it has been sitting awhile.
Once you get it running, borrow a scope from your buddy at the shop and check out your gas tank. Mine was surprisingly clean. I added fresh Super Unleaded, changed the inline fuel filter, and the rubber fuel lines on both sides of the filter and I was good to go. Beware of leaky carbs though. My rear one leaks right onto the exhaust manifold.
Good luck.
dgosh28 is offline  
post #17 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014, 05:52 AM
BenzWorld Elite
 
rumb's Avatar
 
Date registered: Oct 2012
Vehicle: 1968 250S, 1991 300se, 1998 SL500, 1977 450SEL 6.9. Past MB's; 300SD, 300E, 300TE, 190E, ML420
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,359
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Garage
Fonzi, have you see this thread on leather restoration? When I saw the original picture I thought it was the seats in your black and white car. You can make those seats look new!

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w123...g-leather.html
rumb is offline  
post #18 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
w108,107 Parts Hoarder
 
Fonzi's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jun 2010
Vehicle: 4Keep:450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500seAMG 2sell:500sl92 380se83 300se86 350sl4sp 75slc MorInSig
Location: Philadelphia Area
Posts: 18,784
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1625 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumb View Post
Fonzi, have you see this thread on leather restoration? When I saw the original picture I thought it was the seats in your black and white car. You can make those seats look new!

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w123...g-leather.html

No I had not. Wow. That looks like exactly what the doctor ordered.




Sent from AutoGuide.com App

.

My signature:
Click for list of my 32 MB since 2010. If, you want 70's-80's Mercedes tuner wheels, let me know.
Fonzi is offline  
post #19 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
w108,107 Parts Hoarder
 
Fonzi's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jun 2010
Vehicle: 4Keep:450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500seAMG 2sell:500sl92 380se83 300se86 350sl4sp 75slc MorInSig
Location: Philadelphia Area
Posts: 18,784
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1625 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
I took a bunch of videos of the two coupes this morning. Here they are:




Black 1972 250c:

Passenger side of interior, patch in front floor and acorns under seat:


Passenger door panel and back seat w leather rips:

Surface rust all around on floors:

Pull up back seat, steering wheel, odometer, general look around interior from passenger side:

Dumb attempt to open sunroof. Dumb attempt to crank motor:

Engine Bay:

Blue 250c animal urine in trunk:

See end of last video under blue 250c for stainless muffler on this black car.


Blue 250c:

Interior and walk around back:

Interior inspection. What's here?

What's up with the odometer? Love that shift knob and shifter plate. Small rips in driver seats. Aftermarket cruise control:

Junk Video:

Attempt to crank motor.

Rust in floor. What's the "oil line"? Fuel? Nice exhaust, and also stainless exhaust in black car:



Sent from AutoGuide.com App

.

My signature:
Click for list of my 32 MB since 2010. If, you want 70's-80's Mercedes tuner wheels, let me know.
Fonzi is offline  
post #20 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
w108,107 Parts Hoarder
 
Fonzi's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jun 2010
Vehicle: 4Keep:450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500seAMG 2sell:500sl92 380se83 300se86 350sl4sp 75slc MorInSig
Location: Philadelphia Area
Posts: 18,784
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1625 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Question for anyone who knows:

Can I take the rear "clip" from the sedan and use it on the blue coupe?




Sent from AutoGuide.com App

.

My signature:
Click for list of my 32 MB since 2010. If, you want 70's-80's Mercedes tuner wheels, let me know.
Fonzi is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











  • Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
     
    Thread Tools
    Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page
    Display Modes
    Linear Mode Linear Mode



    Posting Rules  
    You may post new threads
    You may post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are On
    Pingbacks are On
    Refbacks are On

     

    Title goes here

    close
    video goes here
    description goes here. Read Full Story
    For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome