post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2011
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Need a little carburetor help!! Solex PDSI-2

Hi All,
I picked up a 62' W110 this weekend and can't wait to get her up an going again. Overall the body is not bad and the interior is complete, but in need of a good cleaning. I believe the car has a 2.0 liter engine because it has dual solex 38 PSDI-2 carburetors. The car was running when parked, so that tells me that I am going to have to go through the whole thing mechanically, ha ha! The previous owner was having issues and decided to tear down the carburetor for rebuild. Well, that never happened and they came to me disassembled in a box. After cleaning and assessing condition, a rebuild kit has been ordered. The only thing that I am missing is the float pivot pin and the plastic piece that hold the float in place. Also, the pin that holds the accelerator pump lever in place is also worn, but I might be able to wing this as well. I wanted to see if anyone may have a source to solex carburetor parts or perhaps a doner they would be willing to sell for parts. I am pretty excited about owning an old Mercedes again and conversing with others who think these old cars are a worth while endeavor.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 10:28 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2011
Vehicle: '71 250, '78 450SLC 5.0, '78 450SL, '81 380SLC 5.6, '89 260E, '15 Kia Sorento
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Congratulations !!! Beautiful car. Isn't it interesting that every car was always "running when parked"? Makes you wonder why the cars were parked, if they ran so good. I am in a similar situation as you with a W114 I recently purchased. Although the Zenith carburetors were on the car the linkage was missing. I bought a set of carbs to use as parts, but only half the linkage was there. I guess I should have looked at them more closely. I wish you the best on your project. Please keep us updated.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 05:45 PM
Premium Member

Date registered: Nov 2012
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Premium Member
W110 means nothing , what is it , 190 or 220, we never called a mb by the W , but a 1962 190 or 220 .then we know what it is .i wish you guys would quit doing that .
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by agillot View Post
W110 means nothing , what is it , 190 or 220, we never called a mb by the W , but a 1962 190 or 220 .then we know what it is .i wish you guys would quit doing that .
I mentioned the engine displacement in the text. You sound like a lot of fun sir!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgosh28 View Post
Congratulations !!! Beautiful car. Isn't it interesting that every car was always "running when parked"? Makes you wonder why the cars were parked, if they ran so good. I am in a similar situation as you with a W114 I recently purchased. Although the Zenith carburetors were on the car the linkage was missing. I bought a set of carbs to use as parts, but only half the linkage was there. I guess I should have looked at them more closely. I wish you the best on your project. Please keep us updated.
Thank you! If you can send me a picture of the linkage you need I will keep an eye open. I found a local guy that has some spare that I plan to take a look at this weekend.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 10:54 AM
Premium Member

Date registered: Nov 2012
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Premium Member
there is no 2 liter engine in this car , it is a 190 or a 220 , so what is it , a 4 or a 6 , that is why i tell people to not use the W number , it is not enough .example a W116 , could be a diesel , a 6 cyl gas , a v8 , or a 6.9 v8 .if you tell me i have a 78 450sel , i know what you have , a 78 w116 ????????????
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 03:31 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2010
Vehicle: 1972 280SEL daily driver. 904 Dark Blue with cognac interior. euro 4.5 engine
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
dog3leggeddog. I don't like using the badge name because badging has a tenancy to jump over chassis numbers (such as a 280S,SE,SEL etc). I prefer using chassis and engine (W108, M117) to be more precise. What I would recommend is completing your profile with the year, model etc. so people can look there if in doubt.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 03:32 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2010
Vehicle: 1972 280SEL daily driver. 904 Dark Blue with cognac interior. euro 4.5 engine
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
BTW. Very pretty car. More photos please.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 10:38 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2008
Vehicle: 1959 190, 1961 190SL, 1967 250SE 4Spd, 1968 220D 4spd
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
It sounds like he has an early 110 car with a later 110 engine, specifically the m121 2 liter 4 cylinder engine. This is the only M121 of that era with dual carbs. I had the exact same 38-PDSI's on my 66 230. Be thankful they don't have an automatic choke! Will be pretty straightforward to setup, just make sure they don't leak air after your rebuild, then make sure they draw an equal amount of air.

As far as specific parts, a lot of the carburetor parts of the solex from that period are interchangeable, screws, acclerator pumps, linkages, etc. So that should help the search.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Correct. It does have the later 2.0 liter 4 cylinder. I agree on the chassis/engine identification. The kits were easy to find so hopefully I have some luck looking for the other worn parts that are needed. I peeked in the fuel tank last night and it was remarkably clean inside. I am just going to replace the fuel for now. The rear brakes seem to be in decent shape as well except for needing new cups in the wheel cylinders. I will work my way forward, but hopefully it just needs seals freshened up. The differential has a pretty good oil leak however and I am wondering if it would be easier to pull the whole unit out of the car to replace seals. Any thoughts? Is there a good source for seals or just match them up at the local bearing/seal place? Unfortunately I only get about 2 hours in the evening during the week days so this will be slow going for a while. I will take pics as I progress.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in