W110 new points/condenser, gets fuel and spark but won't catch - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-08-2014, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2013
Vehicle: Mk4 VW Jetta 2.slow, W110 Heckflosse 1.9L swapped
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
W110 new points/condenser, gets fuel and spark but won't catch

M121.924 block, M121.010 head, 1.9L 4 cyl. VJU R 4 BR 27 T distributor.

Engine was missing on #2 cylinder, after replacing everything else possible (including the carb), I finally did the points and condenser. Gapped to .457mm as per a DIY guide recommendation of .4 to .5mm on mbzponton.org (which I'm assuming is the same as Heckflossen applications, or very similar at least).

First time starting after doing that, engine cranked and cranked and would only cough a few times. Originally I thought I somehow gapped the points wrong, so the other day went back and gapped to .407mm. Still nothing, and we verified that the car is indeed getting spark and fuel (unplugged random spark plugs and stuck in an old and the existing plugs out of the engine, and visually saw fuel going down the carb).

After going back and setting the gap again, we cranked it again. Absolutely no coughing or catching whatsoever, with one exception. At complete random, the second I released the starter switch, the engine would cough once. Just once, and only right as I released the starter switch.

My dad and I thought the timing could be off, as the motor is kind of a frankenstein creation, which could explain why #2 is missing (good compression test). As I'm sitting here thinking about it, setting the timing as we're cranking it over probably isn't the way to do it. So I'm thinking loosening the distributor and rotating it around while I crank it might have the spark and fuel mix match up (as I'm thinking this is the problem).

My dad suggested my ignition switch has just gone bad, coincidentally at the same time I do points and condenser. Long odds of that happening right then I figure...

I'm beginning to look into electronic ignitions as well, as I am now beginning to understand how the old points systems work and figure that now that I know I understand why they were phased out (and at least I know for any other future cars I come across with points, how they work and stuff). Pertronix seems to have a good reputation and have a few ready to go kits for other 60's MB distributors. All I'll need to do is figure out with them what kit I'll need and go that route if there is a problem with the points/condenser system.

History:
1987 W124 300D 6cyl Turbo (2005-2008), 2005 VW Jetta GLS 2.0L (2008-present), 1966 W110 200D, M121/Weber 32/36 DGEV swap (2014)

You've heard that voice for so long, you believe it to be you. You believe it to be your best friend.
Where's the best place an opponent should hide? In the very last place you would ever look.
The greatest con, that he ever pulled, was making you believe that 'he is you.'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-08-2014, 03:29 PM
Premium Member

Date registered: Nov 2012
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Premium Member
there is nothing bad about pointes ignition , it work fine . put a timing light and see when you crank if you are around 5 BTDC .
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-08-2014, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2013
Vehicle: Mk4 VW Jetta 2.slow, W110 Heckflosse 1.9L swapped
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
It was way off when we went to set it and I think we set it at 9° BTDC cranking so I'll give that a shot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in