W114 Coupe Seats in a W115 Sedan - Page 3 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 05:19 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2014
Vehicle: Mercedes
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
By the way forget what I said about the black one making a nice convertible. I had not noticed it was a sunroof coupe (those are quite rare) and especially with this many options.

This is my Sunroof Coupe Pre LS1.. I was so excited when I bought it had not noticed the VIN sequence, Its a Cut and Shut so impossible to tell if it was factory sunroof car.

I'll try to dig up some pictures with LS1

I had it on Ebay and they crucified it on this board as a pile of junk, thank god It did not sell. This is my fastest, most enjoyable car I own, Right now I wish I could have the shipper pick up from Seattle and dump here in Delray Beach, but sadly I have no parking to keep it garaged here with my other cars that are here,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MercedesHiRes-4.jpg
Views:	700
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	932737   Click image for larger version

Name:	MercedesHiRes-7.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	932745   Click image for larger version

Name:	MercedesHiRes-46.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	932753   Click image for larger version

Name:	MercedesHiRes-32.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	932761   Click image for larger version

Name:	MercedesWeb-13.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	932769  

Wanted:
w126 Left euro headlight, Someone that can refinish my wood in Grey woodgrain
Helpful Positive responses, Negativity Keep quiet

Last edited by DR.EUROCAR; 05-07-2014 at 05:30 PM. Reason: pictures
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
w108,107 Parts Hoarder

Date registered: Jun 2010
Vehicle: 4Keep:450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500seAMG 2sell:500sl92 380se83 300se86 350sl4sp 75slc MorInSig
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1622 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
W114 Coupe Seats in a W115 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR.EUROCAR View Post
By the way forget what I said about the black one making a nice convertible. I had not noticed it was a sunroof coupe (those are quite rare) and especially with this many options.

Down side: never make a convertible out of it.

Up side: one less monstrous project I'd probably never get done anyway.

Up side: maybe this will justify saving the blue coupe for a convertible (and using my sedan for parts).

While rambling and talking convertible...
There are a few (way beyond restorable) 560sl cars I could chop up for next to nothing, and I was wondering if trying to mount the SL windshield would make sense in order to obtain the latches and everything. That's what was done to my SLC convertible. It has an SL windshield and top frame. The top frame was just extended and an additional bow was added, and different canvas was laid over it.

Ideas on that concept?

Perhaps I should measure a few things to see if the concept makes any sense. It probably doesn't. The SL and SLC windshields are the same on the bottom and sides, just the SLC ones are taller in the middle. So it is possible that all Stephen Register had to do was use the top side of an SL windshield frame, and then drop in an SL windshield.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

My signature:
Click for list of my 32 MB since 2010. If, you want 70's-80's Mercedes tuner wheels, let me know.
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 07:47 PM
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzi View Post
Down side: never make a convertible out of it.

While rambling and talking convertible...
There are a few (way beyond restorable) 560sl cars I could chop up for next to nothing, and I was wondering if trying to mount the SL windshield would make sense in order to obtain the latches and everything. That's what was done to my SLC convertible. It has an SL windshield and top frame. The top frame was just extended and an additional bow was added, and different canvas was laid over it.

Ideas on that concept?

First off, whomever did your SLC did a very nice job.
The only thing I was not happy with on the W114 Convertibles was I had to keep about 2 inches of the roof past the windshield to use for top latches sunvisors etc.

That is a very good idea. I would get out the measuring tape and see if that is feasible as I think the w114 has a much taller and wider windshield.

For my next W114 convertible, I plan to keep less than 1 inch of original metal roof past the windhshield and make a custom aluminum trim piece to cover the metal. And rather than have the top stop at the metal portion. I will run the soft top completely over the metal and terminate right at the start windshield seal.

Wanted:
post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-08-2014, 06:29 AM Thread Starter
w108,107 Parts Hoarder

Vehicle: 4Keep:450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500seAMG 2sell:500sl92 380se83 300se86 350sl4sp 75slc MorInSig
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
I haven't gotten the coupes home yet. So this might take a while to get the measurements....

Unless the windshields are the same. Ok. Checked EPC. Says:
My 114011 sedan: 115.671.01.10
My 114023 coupe: 115.671.05.10

So they appear to be different. I might as well wait to get the coupe home for measurements.

My signature:
Click for list of my 32 MB since 2010. If, you want 70's-80's Mercedes tuner wheels, let me know.
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-08-2014, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
w108,107 Parts Hoarder

Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:

Wow I did not notice was a sunroof car...but I tend to get really excited about w114's and tend to miss things.

Probably my fault since I didn't think to much of it. Sorry. Oops. The owner (son in law of original owner) was talking with me about how you can crank open sunroof from trunk. Yada Yada. I think he said it work though. Maybe it is the source of the mold in the car. I don't know.

I think the car was garaged from 2001 to ~2013, but don't really know. The squirrels and chipmunks have gotten to it though.

My signature:
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-09-2014, 05:38 AM
BenzWorld Member

Fonzi,
I'm getting excited for you.. two W114 coupe, talk of convertible conversion. I don't think more enjoyment can come with clothes on. Now i'll have to make a trip up to Seattle to dig up mounts of pictures and information for the w114 convertible conversions.
Because of the interior layout with the huge voids under rear seats. The W114 coupe is perfectly suited for reinforcements that can tie the entire structure together.

oh man...

Wanted:
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-09-2014, 06:15 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2006
Vehicle: 73 280SE 4.5, 71 300SEL, 03 BMW Z4, 72 Fiat 850, 80 Triumph TR7, 85 Porsche 911
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Grubeguy Send a message via Yahoo to Grubeguy
Quote:
This is my Sunroof Coupe Pre LS1.. I was so excited when I bought it had not noticed the VIN sequence, Its a Cut and Shut so impossible to tell if it was factory sunroof car.

I'll try to dig up some pictures with LS1
As in, Chevy small block LS1?? i'm waiting with baited breath
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-09-2014, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
w108,107 Parts Hoarder

Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Fonzi,

I'm getting excited for you.. two W114 coupe, talk of convertible conversion. I don't think more enjoyment can come with clothes on. Now i'll have to make a trip up to Seattle to dig up mounts of pictures and information for the w114 convertible conversions.

Because of the interior layout with the huge voids under rear seats. The W114 coupe is perfectly suited for reinforcements that can tie the entire structure together.

oh man...

I also see how the reinforcements were added to my convertible 450slc 5.0. So that helps in my understanding of how things are done practically, not just theoretically. So hopefully that will help.

One thing that is no doubt nicer about a w114 coupe conversion than a c107 conversion is that the gas tank won't be in the way. My soft top can only go so far down because when folded it sits on top of the (lowered) parcel shelf that sits on top of the SLC gas tank.

So not only do I have the SLC to learn from, but I think it can be done better with a w114
Coupe.

Now if the a-pillar moldings of an SL windshield can work with a w--14 triangle glass vent window, we could work this out to also use an SL top frame and windshield.... And maybe even a modified SL hardtop, retaining the coupe bars reminiscent of the pagoda roof of the period???

My signature:
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-09-2014, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
w108,107 Parts Hoarder

Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Here are some pics of the SL hardtop (unmodified) sitting on my SLC convertible.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r-c1...ml#post5788976

Of coarse this would require the window tops of the w114 to be the same width as the SL, and I don't know if that is the case. I still don't have the blue (or black) coupe here. But still, if there's any chance of this working out, it sure would be fantastic.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1399650750.024484.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	351.1 KB
ID:	936297   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1399650758.258835.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	315.1 KB
ID:	936305  

My signature:
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
w108,107 Parts Hoarder

Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)

Edit:
I'm going to be editing this post as I put the information together on the three cars, and then probably create a new thread.

One down. Blue coupe is 114.023.12.000169. Lots of body work or parts but rockers are very solid ironically. On way to get black one.

Edit:
Got the black one too now. It was really well cared for at one point in time. Single owner car until the owner died in 2002. At that point the car was driven from approximately DC to approximately Philadelphia where it was stored for the last 12 or so years. In the fall it was pulled out of the garage and left in the driveway over this one past winter. I didn't get to see the paint last time because the car was covered in snow. The paint is really nice hon very pleased with the looks of it. However there is a lot of rust to contend with around the wheel wells and driver rocker front and rear.

So even after looking at all three cars I don't know which ones should be saved.

The rust honestly looks the easiest to repair in my opinion on the sedan. However I know that that car is the least desirable of the three.

Edit2:

Blue car has horrible floors and a floor shifter, but rockers aren't bad.

Black car has bad driver rocker, and rear driver wheel well needs major work. Fluid was all over the front swaybar, probably transmission fluid as the seller said.

Both coupe cars supposedly turn over and run with gas in the carbs, but obviously need the whole fuel system gone over and surely the carbs rebuilt.

Fortunately, they are all 2.8 m130 cars and the sedan is running and wired correctly, a decent model to put the others back together.

After seeing the rust on both of these cars, and trying to decide which car to learn to weld on, I think I should learn to weld on the sedan, and see how far back I can bring it.

Both coupes have near perfect exhaust (which I really need for my sedan). The black coupe has a stainless exhaust. The blue coupe has a ton of "new" parts on it, and the exhaust looks new. So I think these cars are going to pay for themselves, but when and how is still the question.

FINAL EDIT:
Thread has little to do with the initial topic heading. So I created a new thread after getting the two coupes home. Now I'm trying to decide which cars live and which die:

- sedan:
--- Pros: runs well. Rust repairs look easy for a noob, all just flat sheet metal I think, probably no panels need to order. I like looks of the sedan body style. Title in hand. floors solid. I have worked through some issues with this car and got it running pretty well, and am well on way to "sorting" the car.
--- Cons: just a sedan, and lower perceived value than the coupes. Trunk almost all rotted out (but hardwood floor could cover welding sins). Rockers rotted. White paint kind of sucks and shows all flaws including the peeling clearcoat from bad paint job. Front seats all ripped except passenger back/top. Back of headliner shrunk and is pulling away from back window. Rotted muffler.

- Blue Coupe:
--- Pros: Chrome tunnel/Floor shifter. Interior better than sedan. Rockers solid. Lots of new parts from "recent" mechanical work. Trunk floor pretty solid, but one section of previous welded in panel. Good muffler. Engine runs with fuel in carbs and supposedly sounds good.
--- Cons: rear end body damage including rear bumper and trunk lid that isn locking. big rot in driver side floor, kind of molested with non stock radio, blow-by hoses disconnected for some reason, aftermarket (?) cruise control. Rust spots on hood. Going to cost me another $100 for the title. Ripped front passenger seat bottom. Not currently running because I haven't tried to make it run.

- Black Coupe:
--- Pros: restored in 90's (by seller), single owner car from 1972-2001 and then stored by son-in-law since. Son-in-law stored car since 2001, garaged until 2013. sunroof, leather interior w no rips, crack free dash, stainless muffler, very solid trunk.
--- Cons: title is going to cost me $150 plus any fees the seller has to pay to get duplicate title for deceased father-in-law if I can even get the title. Not currently running due to rotted trans cooler lines. Rot in rockers and some in floors too.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/show....php?t=2022209

My signature:

Last edited by Fonzi; 05-22-2014 at 07:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in